Which range is most important?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Judderman, Jul 19, 2004.

?

Which range of fighting is most important?

1. Striking (Kicks - punches - elbows/knees)?

9 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Stand up grappling (clinch)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Ground grappling

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Whilst it is important to have a well rounded "game", which of the fighting ranges do you consider most important to get good at first and why?

2. Twimyo Jirugi

Twimyo Jirugi Me, but not

Striking, definately. If they get in close to you, they can inflict loads of damage, and your opponent could very well be stronger than you and/or have a weapon. If can keep them at bay, with kicks, punches and striking weakpoints, they're yours.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2004
  3. NeonxBurst

NeonxBurst 1st Black

Yes!!!

Finally someone agrees with me!:D

4. Kagebushi

Kagebushi New Member

striking gives you a good base for other things. all ranges include strikes, even groundfighting. i belive the ranges should be developed simultaneously. striking is just a tool that can be used in every range. (grappling is too, just not quite so easily)

5. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

Striking, best ranges being middle and long range, but im a long fist guy so I may be a bit biased...

6. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

getting good at striking first is better because it lays down the fundamentals for grappling, such as hand-eye, reflex, and mental training. grappling, for me, is sort of like a weapon for striking, it evens out a fight where striking alone cannot prevail.