Which Punch Bag?

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Widnes Kickboxer, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Widnes Kickboxer

Widnes Kickboxer New Member

Hi Guys and Gals.
    I am going to buy a freestanding punchbag but I am not sure which will be the best.
    It will be used for Kickboxing Training. I do not have the walls to erect a hanging Bag.

The options I have are these:

[​IMG]
    BOB XL

[​IMG]
    BOB

[​IMG]
    John Doe

[​IMG]
    The Man Without a Face

[​IMG]
    Slam Man

Has anybody got any thoughts, comments or advice about which will be the best for practising Kick Boxing on.

Does anybody know of a better free standing bag I have missed out?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

John

2. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

can you manage a frame to hang a proper bag from? freestanding bags... suck. hard.

3. Gaz_1969

Gaz_1969 New Member

I've just forked out £200 on a Wavemaster XXL. The guys I train with recommended it as I'm a bit worried about fastening stuff to my walls then kicking the hell out of it. :)

The lady on the helpdesk says to fill the base with water, but everyone I've spoken to says this is rubbish... use sand.

Pauli, in your opinion, why do freestanding bags suck?

4. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Wet sand...

Gary

5. relish

relish Valued Member

What about a bag on a roof hook? Mine's on my garage beams and it's fine hooked up from there, unless this is also not possible in your case lol.

6. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

i've yet to find one that i don't knock over accidentally, and i... don't exactly hit hard.

i've toyed with the idea of attaching the 'bag' from one to a post fixed to a spring mount for a playground ride (the giant chickens and what not that young children rock back and forth on); if it were properly fixed on the ground end, it should do the trick.

7. relish

relish Valued Member

Yer that's a good idea if you can make it right. Get some heavy duty springs on it and that sounds good :D

8. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

None of them. The only bag you should use for kickboxing, is a hanging bag. All of the stand bags, take a girls punch to knock over. Unless you only want to train your sucker punches, get a hanging bag.

9. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

not if you fill it with sand! trust me! :eek:

10. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Yeh mines full of sand, id like to see someone knock it over.

Id love a proper heavy bag, but i cant because of my ****** garage.

So i got a base bag that actually goes all the way down to the base so its ideal for low kicks. Buy a decent one, fill it with sand.

11. Gaz_1969

Gaz_1969 New Member

Phew, I was beginning to think I'd <don't try to work around the filter!> up by buying it. Sand it is then :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2007
  12. k1ckboxer

k1ckboxer Valued Member

you really can't beat the Wavemaster XXL, had one for a few yrs and would recommend.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  13. Gaz_1969

Gaz_1969 New Member

Sorry for hijacking the thread but how much sand does the wavemaster xxl hold? Just so I can buy it beforehand. Thx

14. k1ckboxer

k1ckboxer Valued Member

no idea Gaz, check on the net or contact whoever your buying from. I fill mine with water and that does the job fine and much easier to empty if you need to move it!

15. Gaz_1969

Gaz_1969 New Member

Aah ok cheers. I phoned the company up but they didn't know either. I'll just buy a few bags from B&Q.

16. Widnes Kickboxer

Interesting points there guys.

I wonder if I could find a shop that demos the XXL and give it a good kickin'....See what happens. :D

Thanks for the input anyways.

John

17. Fightshop.Com

Fightshop.Com Valued Member

18. k1ckboxer

k1ckboxer Valued Member

yep totally agree Fightshop.com but think the guy was after a free standing type of bag

19. Gaz_1969

Gaz_1969 New Member

Well, the wavemast xxl finally came today and because I am too impatient I filled it up with water and guess what? yep, it's terrible. :bang: Even my cat could probably knock it over. So I'm going to have to wait till the weekend when I can buy 250lb of sand.

Also I had the bright idea of having it in my upstairs spare room , but the missus said I sounded like a herd of elephants dancing round and the light fitting was shaking all over. Bah, so it'll have to go in the dining room and she'll probably moan because she can't hear her bloody soap operas.

But at least I can practise more now :D

20. Widnes Kickboxer

Interesting that Gaz.

Let us know what it is like with sand in mate. I will keep the purse strings tight until I see your report.

John