Which one is better San Da or JKD

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by MingTheMerciles, Mar 23, 2007.

1. MingTheMerciles

MingTheMerciles Valued Member

I am a Jiu Jitsu and Arnis students ( currently holding a Brown Belt in it ) , I use to do Wing Chun as a Kid , from 7 to 12 years old ( I am 18 right now ) . I was thinking of incorporating JKD or San Da ( Chinese Kickboxing ) . So I was wondering how different are they from each other ? ( somehow I would want to do more kicking )

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Which class has the best teachers and students?

3. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

And what are your goals?

4. MingTheMerciles

I wanted to learn striking to mix in with my Jiu Jitsu .

5. Yohan

For self defense? For competition?

6. MingTheMerciles

Might be for Self-Defence but also would want to do it for the fun and leisure for learning martial art .

7. Yohan

Sounds like JKD might be your best bet, but attend both classes and decide which one you like best based on the quality of instruction.

8. MingTheMerciles

But what are their differences ? Do San Da incoporate more kick ?

9. MingTheMerciles

So Which style of CMA are you practicing ?

10. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

San Da is a ruleset for a style of Chinese kickboxing. San Da incorporates kicks, punches, and throws. JKD's basic principle is to adopt whatever works.

11. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

:cool:

Attached Files:

12. Yohan

See my profile for info on my style.

13. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

Sure that's not San Shou? San Da is a part of any style of kung fu.. it's just terminology for sparring using that systems methods.. San Da for Ditang and San Da for Tang Lang would be very different things ya know?

14. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I looked it up on the web, and it appears that they're the same thing, just a matter of what is and is not the PRC accepted terminology. *shrug* 19thlohan may correct me if needed. I'm just parroting what I've read ;)

15. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

Fair enough then sir! I always had the mindset that San da was a part of old traditional training and san shou was the new variant that the PRC replaced the old sparring ways with.. But like you said... *shrug*

You say poe tah toe I say poe tay toe

16. Taijiman

Taijiman Valued Member

The terms are interchangeable... though sometimes they mean different things, depending on the context. Sometimes the term San Shou is used for amateur level, and San Da for professional level. Sometimes either one is used just to refer to sparing in general... also San Shou is a term used in some traditional arts for application work or application forms... There's also military San Shou (precursor to the sport as a "safe" and efficient method of training hand to hand combat). So, it kind of depends on what context you're talking about it in. Lots of San Shou/San Da places in the U.S. will train knees, elbows, and maybe even ground fighting in addition to the basic sport rules. Some San Da competitions have incorporated some knees and elbows too, I think.

You could always do both Jeet Kune Do and use it for San Da if the teacher knows how to train you for that kind of thing. Best bet though is to just check out the schools available to you and decide which best suits your interests as I don't think you can really give a solid definition on how the training is going to be.

17. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

This is another classic case of "go to each school, see which one you like better." I would lean towards the San Shou school personally, as a) I like throwing b) I like combat sports and c) I like Cung Le.

18. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

San shou/sanda can be sparring in any Chinese style but if the place advertises sanda as the style name then they are most likely talking about the sport of sanda. I think this is a perfect style to mix with jujutsu or any other grappling art. It gives you a good base in stand up work and allows you to work in your throws and takedowns. You'll spar with people used to defending takedowns so they won't be the grappling push overs that many other stand up arts are. You can really develop good setups and timming for the throws and get a good feel for what works best.

I don't know much about JKD.

19. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

Can't we just have some kind of sticky entitled "GO TO BOTH SCHOOLS AND SEE WHICH SUITS YOU BETTER!"

20. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

There is such a sticky in the "Beginners Section".

I was told I had to be nice to n00bs.

This is why such a rule is unfair.