Which matters more Fedor vs. Werdum or Lesnar vs. Carwin?

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Pitfighter, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

What matters more to the HW division and who do you think should be ranked #1 right now?

Obviously due to all the politicking it looks like Fedor may retire before crowning himself or whoever is the UFC champ the undisputed #1 HW but in the meantime which fight has more relevance?

2. roninmaster

roninmaster be like water

in my opinion people are really doubting fedor right now and it needs to stop. yes, seeing him lose for the first time in his career was a let down. but so what. this doesnt meen he is washed up. He got over excited when he thought he was about to get a fast TKO and left himself opened for triangle. we all have counted are chickens before they hatch when we thought we were about to land a sick kimura, armbar, tko etc. its not like he is chuck liddel who obviously hasnt been as fast as previous fights, and was knocked out in 3 out of his last five fights. then still loss the other two. i still firmly believe fedor is the best heavyweight.

with that said, this saturdays fight will still meen alot to the sport seeing as it proves the dominant UFC heavyweight. I personally dont believe Lesner deserves all the hype he gets. so you have beaten 3 people at heavyweight. He outways almost everyone, and there are few people to even fight with him in the first place. its like saying your the best basketball player at 25,& 180lbs on a team of 10-11 fifth graders. in my mind the UFC needs a super heavyweight division. dont get me wrong i cant deny Lesners impeciable wrestling skills, and speed to boot. but think how they would never let a BJ penn anderson silva fight, because of a 10-15lbs disadvantage. but they let Couture at 225 fight lesner at 265, and this is fare?

Carwins boxing is great, but i just hope he is coming with more to the table then just his hands. Your boxing doenst really matter if your on your back in side control. If he is smart hes been working on his takedown defence, and wrestling like crazy.

when the smoke clears i think Fedor will still be considered best heavyweight as its obvious the a Werdrum rematch is essential. However i Lesner vs Carwin is close second. the winner of that one should be runner up to Emmeliniqo.

3. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

Here is an interesting thread on Sherdog:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f61/cage-1250915/

Forget the resulting flame war, but look at the GIFs. Werdum deserves the victory, no doubt. But the threadstarter makes an interesting point that Fedor was doing everything correctly until he ran into the cage and fell into Werdum's triangle.

No doubt he had Werdum in trouble. And I'm not a huge Fedor fan. I like him fine, but as a Crocop fan I was happy to see Werdum (Crocop's former BJJ coach) get the win.

But Fedor is obviously a great fighter and lady luck had a some influence in that fight.

4. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

That as a really good analysis. I don't even remember him bumping into the cage.

5. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I'm going to go with Lesnar v. Carwin. Fedor is an incredible fighter and I don't take anything way from him for his loss.

However, regardless of who won in the UFC bout you're going to see more Kodiak sized guys entering the heavyweight ranks than ever before. When you get these big guys who have the athleticism of either Lesnar or Carwin you won't ever see the likes of a 220-230 lb champion again. Frank Mir realized this after taking a pounding from Lesnar and added all sorts of muscle. It didn't keep him from getting knocked out by Carwin though as he is a true monster. Future heavyweight champions are going to be big guys.

6. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Y'know I agree that big athletic dude are goina be the norm but there's goina be room for exceptionally strong 220-240 fighters. If u lookk at boxing which is really the main pro combat sport to compare. Lennox Lewis and the Klitckos dominated but even smaller dudes like Holyfield, chris byrd, james toney. They stayed legit contenders.

BTW i hate to admit but Lesnar and Carwin was more important IMO but i think its bull that Fedor just got dropped off some top 10 lists. He should still be in the top 5 IMO.

7. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I have no doubt that smaller guys will still be in the mix. Unlike boxing, a big powerhouse guy like Lesnar will have a distinct advantage in slamming a smaller guy and dominating ground & pound or even submissions. I'm not a Lesnar fan mind you, I just see the heavyweight division shaping up this way.

I agree with you completely on Fedor. One loss should not change a fighter's status that much when you consider the nature of the loss and the status of Fedor.

Cheers!

8. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

One thing in both fights I found refreshing was the return of submissions to the HW division. I knew it was just a matter of time before HW realized their length, base and strength would lend itself just as well to submissions as to KOs.