Which martial arts fighting disciplines can help in street fights the most?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by jonjones229, Jan 31, 2019.

1. jonjones229

jonjones229 Banned Banned

(link removed)

I know Krav Maga is really good but I cannot find any places that have that where I live. There are however, boxing gyms, MMA gyms, bjj, freestyle wrestling and muay thai.

I really want to focus on and master one or two disciplines rather than all of it. I go out a lot and its dangerous where I live. People love to start fights, and considering I am a pretty small guy I get picked on a lot.

Of course, I will only train for self defense, I am not the type to go around picking fights. So what fighting out of the ones I listed do you recommend?
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2019
  2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Most MMA gyms will offer classes in all the above arts, try them out, and the one you most enjoy, will be the one you keep training, which will be the most effective.

Krav is generally terrible.

pgsmith and axelb like this.
  3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

You listed boxing, bjj, freestyle wrestling, and muay thai. Answer: They're all equally good choices.

MMA is almost always some combination of the above 4, but because you indicated that you want to focus on one thing, I recommend looking at the individual gyms rather than the MMA gym.

I'm a fan of boxing as a first martial art, because of the complicated simplicity. Fundamentally there are only 3 punches: straight (jab and cross), hook, and uppercut. But step in the ring with me for even 1 minute, and you'll experience how complicated just 3 punches can be. You'll probably trip over your own feet the first time.

That said, I understand the argument for wrestling as a first martial art, too. Wrestling teaches full-body control. Distill a fight to it's core, and that's what it is: I'm controlling you.

(shrug) So either way, you're right.

axelb likes this.
  4. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

This is great advice.

Dead_pool likes this.
  5. shotokanAikiJujistu

shotokanAikiJujistu New Member

I'd say i agree with all advice above good point were made,My personal advice to you check out a few school by you that fit into your schedule try them out its not only gonna be the art but the guy teaching it because there are many great arts and all can be effective if studied well enough on the streets.Why you might ask because it is super unlikely to get into a fight on the street let alone against another martial artist my suggestion check out a bunch of schools a lot them have a 2 week or week free trails or even a free first class make sure you like the head guy and his students as they will be a huge reflection of his teachings imho bjj though is the most americanized grappling art besides wrestling and then the americanized striking arts boxing of coarse or kick boxing and that is probably the best ones to take unless you know japanese or have no problems picking it up

6. Monkey_Magic

I noticed the OP’s been banned after two posts. Is that a record?

Travess likes this.
  7. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

I've a feeling that they may have had a post, or 2 (or more) deleted, prior to the ban stick falling.

Travess

8. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod Note: In the name of disclosure - Um yeah, I sort of messed up. I was trying to restore the deletions after a spam ban, but I didn't understand part of the software and I did the opposite and perma-deleted them.

My apologies to others who posted on those threads and had their posts inadvertently deleted.

OP had more threads, most had a sneaky link advertising the same website.

The mod team always takes deletions very seriously. It is normally something we try to use very sparingly. I feel rather horrible about my mistake. :(

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    Alansmurf, Mitch, axelb and 1 other person like this.
  9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If it helps he's doing the same all over the net at the moment, trollie troll is trolling!

axelb likes this.
  10. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

As someone who replied to one of his threads, and subsequently had a message deleted, I can honestly say that his 'sneaky links' completely escaped my notice - Good looking out.

Travess

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  11. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Unfortunately there's a lot of it going on at the moment. The things we're seeing the most are:
    • Posts which seem normal and quote previous posts in the thread, but adding in a sneaky link within the quoted message.
    • Posts which contain an overt link, but with a different description to the actual target.
    • Posts which are edited to contain advertising after being seen as normal to begin with.
    If as members you see any of this, hit the report button and let us know so that we can get rid of it.

pgsmith, Dead_pool, axelb and 4 others like this.
  12. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

(jaw drop) In light of this article, we might have to say BJJ for the win!

www.si.com/edge/2019/02/05/colorado-runner-mountain-lion-attack?fbclid=IwAR0Qu8FRhnyWzU5Qo-WfbARV-eR_sYnGMjVDm4r5lYj-X0wAutnh2BlmkbI

Another article that's more click-bait than news identified the runner as "highly trained in the art of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu" and said he killed the cat with a rear naked choke.

We all know that Tarzan and Batman killed African lions with their bare hands, but, come on, that's fiction! Anyone who in real life gets jumped by a puma, does a reversal, takes its back, CHOKES IT TO DEATH, and THEN DRIVES HIMSELF TO THE HOSPITAL, has earned a lifetime position in the "Baddest Man on the Planet" club. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Holy cow, I gotta think that this guy can take care of himself should any mere human later jump him on "th3 str33t." BJJ for the win! :p:eek::p:eek::p

Monkey_Magic and axelb like this.
  13. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I've heard the RNC referred to as the lion killer is some styles, but I always took it as an exaggerated story.

I read this today and thought, wow!
    Partly because I didn't realise how dangerous it was near the mountain

14. Monkey_Magic

I’m no longer concerned about big cats. It’s those joggers who truly scare me :D

Grond and axelb like this.
  15. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

the lion killer is a blood hold and not a choke hold, the lion killer is the adams apple is in the hinge of the left arm (in my example), put the left hand on the right bicep, then bring the right arm around the back of the head, so like you crossed/folded your arms Formed a triangle around the neck, then squeeze against the main veins of the neck, if done correctly, you opponent will be unconscious within 20 seconds, if your opponent passes out, lay them on their back, lift their legs to 90 degrees, and move back and forth (shake) to put the blood back into the head.

16. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

Works on joggers too

17. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I've always observed articles referencing the choke as the technique for RNC given the name.
    I guess terminology you could refer to it as a strangle, choke, hold. Either way it's nasty and effective.

Also if it takes 20 seconds you probably need to refine the technique ;) I've been choked out in less than 5 seconds once it's on.

18. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

I stated 20 seconds, as it depends on those applying it, and those it's been applied to, but usually 8 - 10 seconds is usually all that is required.

axelb likes this.
  19. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

"Choke" has a general meaning to reduce flow by constriction. Cars have chokes, shotguns have chokes, roads become choked, choke points etc... so I don't see any problem in calling them blood chokes and air chokes.

20. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Judo would class it as a strangle, bjj as a choke I always got confused because depending on the art and the teacher I would be told it's a choke or no it's a strangle but both referred to the fact it was a blood not airways attack,

Horses for courses choke as a catch all seems to be the best way to go

axelb likes this.