Which Kickboxing Style Has Wing Chun Elements in It?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Self Defense Geek 89, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Hi. As someone who is interested in any kind of fighting style, I am just curious: Is there a kickboxing style with certain Wing Chun elements in it, like trapping and simultaneous blocking and striking, for example?

2. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Sanda as I was taught it involved both of those elements.

Mangosteen likes this.
  3. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Couple of nice examples of hand traps, from Dutch Kickboxing and Muay Thai respectively:
    upload_2021-2-12_0-40-5.gif
    [​IMG]

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Check out Alan Orr, WC guy who still coaches fighters in the muaythai/MMA circuit.

axelb likes this.
  5. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Good to see Alan Orr still going strong, he's come a long way from a small club WC in 90s.

6. Mushroom

Yeah, pre pandemic, I saw Pete Irvin still going to him for some training. If thats one guy who really doesnt look like he trains in a CMA/TMA its that guy :p

axelb likes this.
  7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

William cheungs traditional wing chun has elements of both :)
    His guys were successful in full contact kick boxing in Australia back in the 80s and 90s.
    You rarely see simultaneous blocking and striking as it's a good idea not to have both your hands away from your head at any one time, cover/shielding and blocking you see but evasion and countering or using punches that go around your opponents defenses is generally much more popular.

Brief hand traps to move the opponent's hands and counter with punches or knees can be seen in boxing as pointy showed above and also MMA, but it tends not to be the extended arms trapping unless like Jon Jones you have a massive reach advantage on your opponent most of the time

8. Thanks for the tip, I will definitely have to check this out.

9. Mushroom

Person who was good at this was Mark Hunt, his KO volley against Stefan Struve consisted of guard rips, hand controls.

icefield likes this.
  10. ZaxNeon

ZaxNeon New Member

Jun Fan Gung Fu absolutely has elements of WC and Kickboxing.

Xue Sheng likes this.