Which hand to hold a knife in?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Freeform, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Limbas

Limbas Valued Member

To actually find out anything real 'bout knifefighting, practice with real live blades.

2. Limbas

Limbas Valued Member

Can it be done in Pakal (reverse) grip?

3. shootodog

shootodog restless native

right.

i hope that wasn't a serious comment (the last person who said that to me was a student of tatang's). we've sparred with dulled knives before and i can tell you...it took some time to heal up from that experience.

using "no lie" blades or even just playing with red markers can show you what works and what doesn't.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  4. shootodog

shootodog restless native

why not? it may be shorter in reach than a standard grip but it does accord you more stabbing power.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  5. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

LOL!!!

Hey dude, whatever it takes to get the job done! :D

6. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

Right Hand

Definitely, right hand. I can aim my Spetsnaz-style spring-loaded knife better with my right. Obviously, I wouldn't be holding it in a pakal grip unless i am the only cowboy facing a whole tribe of Indians.

7. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Here's an old clip of Paul Vunak for anone who doesn't take a knife seriously.

link -Google Video

8. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Thinking about it from my point of view (The guy who's probably going to get stabbed :D ) I would say I would be more worried about the knife in the rear hand because I can't really initiate a grab and if they just grab and stab me I am screwed in a really bad way.

9. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

:eek: And then you will get real live cuts, for if you train this way and someone does not get injured then your doing it wrong.

Best regards

Pat

10. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

You can even get a real life stab too :eek:

11. cdnronin

cdnronin Valued Member

Just for fun, do you walk around with a knife in your hand, or is your sheath set up for ambidextrous draw, and if so,explain please?

12. stickfan1

stickfan1 New Member

I don't walk with a knife in my hand for fun, but if I had to concil I would probably draw from the inside of my jacket. I generally prefer knives like the balisong as you can expose the live blade and cut in a singular motion.

Pulling a knife out of a pocket and unsheathing would take double the time and in reality this may take too long

13. cdnronin

cdnronin Valued Member

If the concern of unsheathing a knife because it takes too long concerns you(and it should), why would you recommend having the knife in the same hand as the BG? That would suggest waiting for the recognition of his action, then re-acting and adjusting accordingly. Newton said action is faster than re-action. Do "those in the know" know something Newton didn't? By the way, there are many knife on the market that can be utilised faster than a balisong.

Forgive me, but apparently as I am "not in the know", you could correct my misunderstandings? Thanks.

14. cdnronin

cdnronin Valued Member

Do you know many people who keep a knife in a sheath in their pocket? Do they wear a belt and suspenders?
    Is your balisong kept in a pocket in your jacket? If so, how do you draw with either hand as required when facing someone with a knife? The original question was which hand(front or back) should you have your knife when faced with a knifer. I am not experienced enough to understand how you draw a knife from inside your jacket, with either hand as dictated by the person in front of you(they are holding in their right, you hold in your right, they are left-handed, you aren't?). I know you're busy, but please give me a clue so I can try this out.

15. stickfan1

stickfan1 New Member

An arnisador should always be aware of his environment and any possible impending situation so maintaining a safe distance from any potential attackers would be the key to giving your self ample time to unsheath a knife

now please no more questions thanks :)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  16. stickfan1

stickfan1 New Member

books should be made... so pinoys can get paid (rhyme) :D

Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  17. cdnronin

cdnronin Valued Member

Stickfan, I greatly appreciate you rpatience with me, but I still need some clarification.

When you say, the balisong should be upside down, are you referring to tip-up or tip down? Is your balisong double-edged?

I would still really appreciate an answer to my question of how you are able to access a knife in your jacket with either hand. Do you have a special pocket sewn into your jacket for holding the balisong?

Where I live, balisongs are illegal :bang: You are fortunate to live in a place where you can carry such an awesome weapon.

18. stickfan1

stickfan1 New Member

closed and upside down. (I already stated this) :confused:

Being a double edged balisong or not should not matter as once you mastered opening a single sided blade you will be able to use a double sided one no problems. When practising with a single sided blade you should treat it as a double bladed one to enable yourself faster progression.

Safety tip - when u are a beginner place tape on the blade to protect yourself from cuts...then when you master this simply remove it...

:)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  19. stickfan1

stickfan1 New Member

Nope, I disagree... there is only one knife, to my knowledge, that can be unsheathed quicker than a balisong and this is the spring loaded flick knife. ;)

20. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

I feel a contest comming on:)
    My money is on the Balisong at 2 to 1.

Any takers;)

Best regards

Pat