Which gloves to use

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by LeeGreg89, Apr 13, 2004.

1. LeeGreg89

LeeGreg89 Valued Member

In my kali class we do stick fighting my instructor urges me to buy gloves to protect my hands i was wondering wha is the best gloves to use in stick fighting

2. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Hockey or Lacrosse.

3. pepe

pepe New Member

hockey gloves would do. i've yet to see one made specifically for FMA.

hope this helps

4. JaMaRo

JaMaRo New Member

The only problem with lacrosse gloves is that the palms are not padded, so checking during sparring can hurt. I've tried the WEKAF gloves and like those for the palm coverage. You can sometimes find them on EBAY, they sort of look like oven mitts.

5. ranger

ranger New Member

why do want to practice arnis with gloves? don't buy gloves thats the flavor in practicing arnis. :)

6. shootodog

shootodog restless native

traditionally, arnis/ escrima/ kali are not practiced with gloves. the teachers would just say "take your licks like a man".

but, i'm too dang old to take too much unnecessary punishment. so i use my old nhb gloves or the tko open fingered bag gloves (used by urcc). it still hurts if i get whacked on the hands but at least it lessens the impact without trading off the dexterity.

7. narra

narra Valued Member

Pare ok yang gloves, kasi minsan nagkakatamaan sa hands, minsan nga tamaan talaga sa hands ang sparring. Kaya mag gloves tayo, yung mga experienced arnisadors nagsusuot din nyan unless gawa sa bakal ang buto ng kamay.

We use boxing and hockey gloves, mahal lang kasi pang hockey.

8. Plywood

Plywood New Member

The best stickfighting gloves I've used were a pair of street hockey gloves from Itech. Unfortunately I don't think they make them anymore. Try roller hockey, in-line hockey or street hockey gloves. They are lighter than real hockey gloves and don't offer as much protection, but you can grip the stick easier and articulate your wrist more.

If you can't find those, cross the border into Canada and go to a store chain called Canadian Tire. They sell lots of cheap hockey equipment. The brands you want are CCM, Itech, Easton and maybe Jofa. Get the junior or intermediate sized gloves with short cuffs. Real hockey players wear their gloves really loose so they can throw them down when they fight. You want the smallest size you can possibly wear so that they fit snugly and you have a better grip. Also, get the cheap ones. Forget the overpriced Missions, Bauers or Kohos. Nike? No real hockey player (a Canadian) would wear those!

Lacross gloves are good but overpriced.

I find the doce pares gloves too thin and badly made. The don't have any palm and slip off your fingers often.

The Lameco gloves are good but only for gripping the stick. You really can't do anything else like grab or hit with them. Basically both the stick and your hand are enclosed inside their nylon and velcro padding.

9. Silentblade

Silentblade Silent Death

We use Ice Hockey Gloves and Street Hockey Gloves. I like the Street Hockey Gloves.

10. master35

master35 New Member