Which Focus Pads for Muay Thai ?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Thaiger, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Thaiger

Thaiger Valued Member

I'm interested in buying a pair of pads and have begun looking at whats available.
    One pair offered by a popular UK high street retailer [I think many of you will know who] come across as considerably tougher than the rest.It seems they have a thin but hard layer in front of the regular foam padding.

I'm thinking something like these would be good as they would offer some conditioning for the fists,but would provide resistance to spear and regular elbow techniques that I'd like to practice.

The problem with these particular pads is that they're curved,I think they would be more useful if flat like traditional mitts.

So,Would anyone care to recommend a tough/flat pad that might fit the bill ?.I'm thinking along the lines of genuine leather pads also as I ca'nt see the outer of a vinyl pad being able to stand up to this kind of use for long.

2. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

IF you can afford it then it's always best to spend more on pads.

That's the difference between say a year or so's use. Or 10 years worth of use.

Thaismai, Windy, Fairtex etc are all reasonably solid rep wise.

Double or Triple-Stitched Leather Thai Pads would be my goto on this one.

Also some of the new MMA gear is well worth the price (suggestions?).

I still possess a coupla pair of Thaismai 'Thai' Pads that I bought in 1990. And they're still going strong.

Admittedly I used those only occasionally in the last 5 years.

My point is cheap means cheap. The best is pricier because it's built to last.

If you just want pads for punching and elbows...Then a decent pair of focus mitts for 20 quid (maxx, rdx etc) will do the trick. Again pay out for better brands if you can stump up the cash.

Or get a pair as a stopgap until you're prepared to pay good money for a top pair of Thai Pads.

Good Luck

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  3. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Don't know what UK High Street Retailer you're on about or what Muay Thai Focus Pads you are on about either. Sorry but you're going to have to give more information than you're giving in this respect.

4. Thaiger

Thaiger Valued Member

Good on you SoKKlab,Tah !
    In terms of Thai pads,I have been looking at the Fairtex offerings.
    I really like the look of the curved Boon ones though,Maybe Santa Claus is reading this ?.

Yep,Just for fists/elbows.
    My plan is practicing for some hard and accurate spear elbow,and I'm sure a regular mitt won't just offer little resistance but become trashed pretty quickly.

Been checking out the Maxx and RDX pads,but these appear to be too soft what with squidgy gel inserts and all.I do intend to get some decent Thai pads eventually,but would like to try and save them the repeated localised bashing.

...I'm talking about Sports Direct :vanish:.

I think they may be Title mitts,although not listed on their website.I'll have to check and get back to you.
    Like I mentioned,They've got a tough layer on top of the regular cushioning.Considerably harder than regular pads.

5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

If you dont mind spending the money, then Fairtex or Twins.

A place you can try online is playwell martial arts or TSA Martial Arts. Both based in Ealing/Harrow area, so although they are a internet based company, you can attend and have a look.

6. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Boon also do the straight pads: http://www.muaythai-fighting.com/boon-muay-thai-kick-pad-velcro-kpv.html
    [​IMG]
    I do like the look of the Boon gear, I just ordered a pair of their gloves (in brown of course).
    If you are just working fists and elbows then mitts would be sufficient. Get yourself a decent pair from a reputable brand like Top King, Fairtex, Boon, Twins, or Windy.

7. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Revgear do some pretty good Thai pads too. I have a pair at my gym and they're very good quality.

8. Thaiger

Thaiger Valued Member

Turns out the mitts in question are the grey,curved Lonsdale ones.They're pitched as having ''L-Core'' cushioning which makes them stiffer than others I've looked at.

Of course.Yes,Thanks !.
    Have just had a look at the websites and may visit to check out items.

Yep,Had seen these.
    Had been thinking about going for some curved ones though in whichever brand
    ...Or Yokkao's :cool:.

:D

Will consider,Thanks ! :).