Which country is (was) best in Rock n' Roll? UK/Ireland or US

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Durkhrod Chogori, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Durkhrod Chogori

Durkhrod Chogori Valued Member

Hello dolls,

Which country do you think has contributed most significantly to the history of rock n' roll?

UK/Ireland with Pink Floyd, Stones, Queen, Beatles, Led Zep., Clash, Cure, U2, Van Morrison, Gallagher, The Animals, The Kinks, Yardbirds, The Who, King Crimson, Yes, Jethro Tull, Pretenders, Tears for Fears, Depeche M., B. Sabbath, Whitesnake,Iron Maiden, Def Leppard (and all English metal bands), and so many others (sorry if I left your faves out).

US with (man I don't know where to start?): Elvis, Buddy Holly, Little Richard, all those doo-wap bands of the 50s (i.e. Flamingos, Cleftones, Frankie Lymon, etc.), Beach Boys, Mamas and the Papas, Doors, Creedence CR, Eagles, Ramones, Springsteen, Cars, Toto, Reo Spedwagon, Simon and Garfunkel, Righteous B., Woodstock and Monterrey rock festivals, etc., etc.

Again I have been mixing different eras and styles.

This is a very hard one. I am not voting in here because in both sides of the Atlantic ocean those countries made a huge contribution to Rock n' Roll. Some may say, yes but RnR was born in America. Mmm.., yes but modern rock was born in the British Islands, namely Punk and New Wave. Some may argue in here.

2. samurai1986

samurai1986 Valued Member

Personally, I don't think you can pick which country has the best. Both groups have great artists. One artist you left out was Don McLean the guy who wrote American Pie. I'm interested you put Righteous B in there. I agree he is a good artist but isn't he more hip hop than rock? I may be wrong but that's what I got as an impression.

One last note though...If I had to pick a band that I thought wrote the greatest song ever it would be Led Zeplin with Stairway to Heaven.

3. Bluce Ree

Bluce Ree Asinus asinorum.

I'd say influence wise, then UK/Ireland wins, but just now a lot of good rock/metal bands are from Europe and Asia, like Nightwish and Malice Mizer. I'm sure there are more, but I'm just speaking from personal experience.

4. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

England -- on account of Queen. Did they write a single bad song? :eek: I suppose they must have, but, dude, so many hits.

The greatest song ever is "Dust in the Wind" by Kansas, but "Stairway to Heaven" -- ya, good call, good call. Definitely on the list of rock bests.

5. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

The Netherlands with:

The Golden Earring - Radar Love...

(Just kidding, although it is a great song. You have to admit that... :D)

6. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

When it comes to the actuall ye olde rock andd roll I'm going with UK/Ireland combo.

These days I'm not so sure as I'm technically a fan of Ska/Punk I have to say that America is way ahead.

7. Topher

Topher allo!

Wasn't this asked a few weeks ago?

Anyway - UK all the way.

Beatles can take anyone on.

8. TM77

TM77 Valued Member

There wouldn't even be a Rock & Roll if it weren't for America. But I would say the Brits took it to another level. And no doubt about it, most of the best rock and roll since the 60s, has come from the UK.
    Even as I type this most of the biggest names I can recall are British -
    The Beatles, Cream, The Who, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin. They all took American music and sort of made it their own.
    Jimi Hendrix also comes to mind but even he had to go to England first, to make it big. I know plenty of American bands as well but the British ones seem to come to mind quicker than any others. Maybe it's just my own personal tastes.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  9. Strafio

Strafio Trying again...

My friend used to say that the UK was better for bands and the US better for solo artists. A good example is the Jimi Hendrix experience - the star American the rest of the band English.

There's exceptions to the rule, Love and Chilli Peppers spring to mind, but there definately seems to be a genuine pattern there. :)

10. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Didn't you answer your own question?!? Take a look at the lists you wrote. How many TRULY LEGENDARY bands are from the UK, and how many are on the US list? Obviously it's a matter of opinion, but mass public opinion I suspect would go with the UK. I still love tons of US music, but I think the UK just has something about the scene that is unique. Most of the best blues music is American though, so they have to take some credit for inspiring so many bands I suppose. Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry, whoever you want to name drop, it doesn't really matter anyway. There really is so much great music out there that who cares if they're from the UK or Outer Mongolia? We should just be thankful :D

11. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Zeppelin is the greatest band ever there for England wins!

12. Topher

Topher allo!

UK writes the best music, the US records the best music.

Get a UK band to record in the US :D

13. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Hooray for 19thlohan! :D :D :D