Which bjj school would you pick?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Rmjim, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Rmjim

Rmjim Member

okay so I've got 3 schools all close to me and I've tried a free class at one so I'm going to give each schools lineage, price, and what I know about it.
    1. I tried a free class at a Erik Paulson CSW BJJ affiliate. It's taught by a Paulson/Machado brown belt. School also has JKD concepts/Jun Fan Gung Fu and Kali. M-Th for an hour of bjj is $100 or all classes around 130. The bjj is one hour only and they just roll on open mat day which is on Saturday if remember correctly.
    2. Pedro Sauer direct lineage black belt offers basically the same curriculum as above. One hour bjj on Tuesday Thursday with Japanese JJ Monday and Wednesday. Same jkd classes as well. Around $120 month. Pedro does come and do seminars.
    3. Royce Gracie network direct black belt under Royce. Strictly a bjj school MWF 2 hours of bjj each night with MMA classes on TTh. Royce has done a seminar. $100 month
    Money not withstanding and hours you get aside, which do you think would be the best school if I wanted to train bjj? Around here a lot of the schools all offer the same curriculum to stay competitive.

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

#3 sounds the best to me.

Rolling is pretty essential to developing good skill and movement.

icefield likes this.
  3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I agree three 2hrs if there is rolling each session would be better and the mma would mean you can train striking and takedowns as well

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Try them all, see which group you gel with the best and instructor you like the most. They will all be solid options.

5. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

on paper number 3 looks best training options.
    Try them all out, or at least go and watch how they train - if you don't get along with the training method intensity (or lack of) and don't think you could work with the people, then you are less likely to stick at it.

Vince Millett likes this.
  6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

#3 definetly, only rolling once a week sounds super bad for the other schools overall development, unless they also roll in the advanced classes?

Ideally you need an hour of technique per hour of rolling when you first start Although some place make you wait a few weeks for rolling, so you have a rough idea of what to do, and how to tap.

Vince Millett likes this.
  7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I'm not sure this word means what you think it means, the CSW curriculum is very different from classic royce/Pedro curriculum.

8. Rmjim

Rmjim Member

No. What I meant was that most of the martial arts schools all have some other arts added for a set price. Like the two schools having not only bjj but JKD concepts and Kali and kickboxing instead of being just a pure bjj or bjj/MMA school.

Dead_pool likes this.