which art?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by odysseus, Aug 30, 2007.

1. odysseus

odysseus Valued Member

I have studied TKD when I was 13 until i was 15 years old. I have recently joined back up with my old sifu... he does TKD but its more of an american freestyle version where he incorporates limited grappling, and take downs as you would see in judo or jujitsu. My question is.... I still want to finish in this art up to blackbelt and I would like to additionally incoroporate another art to make me a well rounded MAist. I was seriously considering Hapkido as I heard its an "anti-martial art" but I also have heard alot of good things about BJJ.... I'm just not sure which would be the best... Any thoughts?

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

BJJ is more "different" from TKD than Hapkido is, so it'd cover your bases more effectively.

3. gungfujoe

gungfujoe Please, call me Erik. :)

Sifu? What kind of TKD is he teaching, exactly? :) (Sifu is a Chinese term for a teacher, whereas TKD is a Korean martial art that descends from a Japanese martial art. You have to go back quite a ways to get to Chinese arts in its history)

As Dr. Moose said, you're probably going to get more variety by going with BJJ. Hapkido has quite a bit in common with Taekwondo. Though I believe it's based primarily on Daito-Ryu Aiki-Jujutsu, it also appears to have taken a lot of Taekwondo characteristics in its development.

4. odysseus

odysseus Valued Member

Well he goes by Sifu calls dan goon tan goon... I even went to correct him and he said some pronounce it both ways... its a very americanized version of tkd... uses the same forms in tkd...