Which art trains in fighting multiple attackers?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Rakoshauffe, Sep 14, 2008.

1. the australian

the australian Banned Banned

E-bay is a wonderful thing-buy a free bazooka for $89!

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

on the subject isnt getting an imitation firearm a good idea for hallowee?

3. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I would say in the UK it ranks up there with walking through customs loudly complaining about having a package up your backside.

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

loving the imagery there

5. shouldercarge

shouldercarge Valued Member

join your local atheletics club and run the 400m sprint.

im sorry i know this isn't the answer your looking for but in all reality its the only way to gaurantee escaping without injury when confronted by multiple oponents. rather than looking for an art to teach against multiple oponents perhaps a street self defense seminar would be better,these almost always teach how to take out the closest attacker or 2 and get out of there as well as how to position your self so only one assailant can attack you at a time.

the problem i have with people who look for defense against multiple attackers in an art is that they are obviously more likely to try and take on multiple oponents when faced with them than just trying to flee.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2008
  6. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Yep!! Common sense and instinct are screaming get out of there. So GET OUT OF THERE

Regards koyo

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2008
  7. Jjf88

Jjf88 Valued Member

Always keep your opponents on one side!

No point in being surrounded, be on the right of them, or the left!

It helps!

Exclamation marks!!!

8. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I keep on the right side of all potential opponents :D that way no conflict ever comes...

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  9. Jjf88

Jjf88 Valued Member

That is a bad-dum-chi! (drums) moment right there folks.

Innuendo ftw?

10. adscottie

adscottie Valued Member

I disagree with you, especially that first sentence. The TS asked for some styles that train in multiple attackers, sure the best way is to run, and I would hope that this would be explained in the training. However there is nothing wrong with suggesting an art that does have training against multiple attackers.

It may not work always on the street as is taught however surely this is similar in most sparring situations so someone who has done at least some training against multiple attackers would have better chances than some one who has not (in general, obviously there are many other factors to consider)

11. shaolin fighter

shaolin fighter Banned Banned

I think that all styles in some way train to handle multiple attackers.

12. divine spiral

divine spiral shiiiiiiiiiiiiii-zack!!

aikido does and you do it in taekwon do when you are at the black belt levels

13. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I think most arts geared towards self defence will cover multiple attackers at some point in their training. How well it's covered will largely come down to the instructor and the students rather than just what's on the syllabus for that art.

No question that it's better to not be there at all.

14. koyo

I think that your martial art should concentrate on how to ESCAPE from multiple attack. FIGHTING against multiple attack is the last option.

regards koyo

15. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Indeed. Disengage and leg it wherever possible :p

16. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Well, yes. But most of us already know how to run. It comes with having two working legs.

This is along the same lines as saying "The best way to get out of skid is not to drive when there's ice on the road" or "The best way to treat an infection is to not get sick". It gives the speaker a warm feeling of superiority, but it doesn't do diddly to answer the question or help the questioner prepare for the event.

Try giving a helpful answer next time.

17. koyo

FIGHT your way out of it. If you think you have a chance to engage in a fight with multiplte attackers without a weapon ...good luck to you.The reality is even one on one you are likely to take a hit against simultaneous multiple attaks you are in real trouble. I wish it were not so but those are the facts.

I have found the taisabaki aikido entering triangularly the best way to get past an attacker.
    Below in taisabaki training I have thrown one attacker at another even then I should make an escape if it were a real fight.

regards koyo

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  18. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

I teach 3+ attacks every friday (combat kickboxing). The best advice as posted is get out of it, you should always be looking for an escape route even if that route means you take a hit or two. But you should always control the environments as best you can keep moving and force angles where they can only attack you one at a time or worse case 2 at a time. In any event if fighting is the only way out STRIKE FIRST and make sure its FAST and HARD

19. koyo

Sounds good to me.:cool:

regards koyo

20. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Any and all of the fraudulent/ineffective ones. It's one of those red flags, like 'anti-grappling', dim mak and gun disarms.

Seriously, common sense should tell you that there are only two ways of dealing with multiple opponents, and these are:
    The macho way that will probably get you severely injured or killed
    Hit the leader or the nearest target hard and decisively, then go through each 'target' in the same manner. There are a few variations you can use to change the odds, such as after the first strike, run away and hide behind a convenient corner in order to banjo the first multiple attacker to run into view. It sounds insane, and it is, but in extremis it can work, as narrated by ex-soldiers, some of whom were decorated for effective application of this technique and
    The usual, sensible way that will probably get you away
    You might think this conists simply of running away, and in essence that's true. 400 metres with a good turn of speed and adequate fitness will in most cases serve to put enough distance between you and them for you to walk, or preferably jog, home. But if you simply turn your back and run away from somebody with a knife, then the knife will end up in your back. There are various ways of getting a head start. The simplest of these is a quick, hard punch, but my personal favourite (and here I am letting you in on a hugely important and ancient secret of the martial arts) is to look at some point behind the leader's head and say, brightly and slightly sheepishly "Good evening, officer".