Which art trains in fighting multiple attackers?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Rakoshauffe, Sep 14, 2008.

1. RobP

RobP Valued Member

Some Systema multiples training. This isn't neccesarily fighting multiples (which in any case or more survive and escape than fight!) but also covers how to work in a crowd in all types of situation. I've not seen this type of work covered anywhere else

cheers

Rob

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgow3it0bXI"]Systema Crowd Work - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81uD50xoWHk&feature=related"]Surviving Mass Attack Systema workshop - YouTube[/ame]

2. Kapalmuks

Kapalmuks Valued Member

Aikido is one of the style in MA that teaches against multiple attacker.

3. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

BSCLF

That is pretty much true but having said that my CLFBS school did train many techniques for multiple oponent fighting. I have been in that situation three times and survived but it was more about my crazed and violent attack towards them that saved me, if they pull out knives forget about it your dead or maybe you can run like the speed of light, if you get into a fight with anyone allways asume that they are carrying a weapon.

4. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Valued Member

I agree with what others have said: a good teacher (regardless of the art) will teach you how to confront multiple attackers.

I've read Bagua has a foundation built on moving in a circle, and fighting multiple attackers.

From my own personal experience in seminars, if two people come at you - A) angle it so that only ONE can attack you at a time. Use the other to block the angle of attack. Strike while shifting around him and cornering off one at a time. B) Go for the bigger guy first.

Often intimidation is a key factor. I remember my sifu speaking to us about his first confrontation. He was in his early teens and was confronted by several boys his own age. He had been studying Gung Fu since age 8, and had thrown tens of thousands of lead side kicks (my personal favorite kick too). One kid approached, and he caught him right in the chest, the kid dropped, and the others ran away.

5. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

The first step in learning how to fight multiple opponents is to learn to fight a single opponent!

Step one: learn to fight

Step two: do drills that incorperate 'stacking' and other multiple attacker specific skills.

You gotta learn to run before you can walk basically. Tell your friend that if he's serious about learning how to defend himself he should learn to fight in general and worry about fight multiple opponents in particular just yet.

6. romanfirst

romanfirst New Member

It is all within you

Without getting into what styles offer drills or training for multiple attacks I would like to point out that everything comes down to how you apply the skills you learn. Even if your school/style does not have drills per say for multiple attackers, one of the major concepts of advanced practice is learning and discovering how to apply your skills. Please do not get me wrong here, advanced practice can be 10 years, 20 years and beyond. At some level you should have the skills to discover a lot on your own.

Discovery of such drills is available to any well trained martial artist who loves to study the arts. It is nice when the style/school has such drills but as a martial artist this should not distract you from working towards this if the style/school does not.

If you are properly trianed in basics and understand Bunkai, you will progress into this. If your school offers it than you very well could progress quickly into an understanding of these concepts. Then again I have seen many schools that teach multiple attacker drills and the principles that they are passing on can be short sighted and/or would take an extreme athlete to be successful. One the other hand I have seen styles that have extremely efficient drills that accomplish a lot.

Either way, I have trained with some great martial artist and when doing so we have studied multiple attacker concepts and principles and come up with some pretty awesome drills. I must admit the best drills did not come without their unique levels of engagement and/or limited injury. Then again, my Sensei always pushed our Bunkai work for multiple attackers.

7. InsertUserName

InsertUserName New Member

Seeing as it's very hard for more than eight people to actually attack you at once, the ninth guy has to wait his turn. Unless they're Jedi midgets in which case, you're screwed. :eek:
    Seriously though, unless you're fighitng a well trained unit, a large group of people won't actually be coordinated enough bare down on you with their full numbers.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  8. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Krav Maga does it as "real" as your going to get from my experience.

9. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

If you have time to count you got time to run the hell away. it isnt the matrix, standing and trying to take on a group of guys is something you should get the hell out of, they are cowards to fight like that anyway so god knows what they will do with you once you hit the deck!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  10. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

Posted by Semper Fi
    What happens when there are 9 opponents?

An UZI would be handy!!!! or a good pair of running shoes!!!

11. blanker

blanker Valued Member

multiple oponents is a big part of the krav maga syllubus with all the different organizations ( i have trained with 3) you learn it from the get go and in every class what ever technique you learn is pressure tested against multiple oponent ( atleast in urban krav maga)

12. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

Good Old fashioned boxing.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7PMp-yXHT0"]UNBELIEVABLE STREET FIGHT !!! 1 boxer VS 3 - YouTube[/ame]

13. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

This is so weak. Surely you don't think this is teaching anyone anything worthwhile except for some rudimentary knowledge on working in crowds. I've got better experience from just going to a couple of rock shows.

14. RobP

RobP Valued Member

Rudimentary knowledge on working in crowds was exactly what the day was supposed to deliver. We find it's generally a lot more rudimentary for peope who watch it than the people who do it.

15. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

Anyone that recommended any specific art in here is so full of <you know what>.
    Forget the movies, it doesn't happen like that.
    Taekwondo against multiple attackers? Please.
    Krav Maga? Maybe if you've trained for 5+ years.

I'm assuming your friend has never done any martial arts, so recommending a style for him to learn how to fight multiple attackers would just give him false sense of confidence and get himself hurt.

However, I heard guns and granades work pretty well. :woo:

16. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

And a couple of heavily armed mates.

regards koyo

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  17. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

does nobody carry bazookers any more?

18. Jjf88

Jjf88 Valued Member

Surely they must! This was me not 6 years ago!

[​IMG]

19. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

You're lucky, I didn't get one 'til I was 12 :(

20. Jjf88

Jjf88 Valued Member

Hehe..