Where you at

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by MoroWho?, Nov 3, 2006.

1. MoroWho?

MoroWho? New Member

Greeting. Guys and girls, just would like to know where you at right now with your FMA training and goals.

2. Lucy O'Malley

Lucy O'Malley The Mother Art

My goal is to be the best that I can. I don't think you can master an art that is never-ending and adaptable and I do not think you can be the best when there are so many groups, styles and variations, all as effective as the next, just in different or often very similar ways but with a different approach.
    There will always be someone better than you......... :eek:

So what is it you really want to know? :confused:

I can tell you I once had a goal to be good at WEKAF style fighting, I reached that goal and won 4 World titles (1 Doce pares world title 3 WEKAF), 5 Euopean titles and 20 British titles. It gained me the experience and knowledge I needed to move up a level in my understanding of the art, but now I look back and laugh at how serious I was about the sporting side of the art, when to some extent it is so unrealistic too, but it kept me interested in the art in my early days. I now train more realisticly and tend to do no-rules when I feel the urge to test myself and dabble in a bit of padded stick for fun and enjoyment (less pain).

I often look at my weak points and decide to work on them, so I suppose these would be goals too.

I am classed a a good single weapons practitioner, I have a better understanding and more natural ability in these area's so I am currently working more on my double knife, and stick and dagger techniques and drills to gain a better understanding. Don't get me wrong I have always been good at double stick so it is not the double weapons in general I feel I am weak at just the flow and natural ability is not there yet with my stick and dagger more than anything. I know loads of drills and training techniques which I can perform perfectly but the winging it just is not there, perhaps because I don't really spar or freeplay it enough.

But once I feel I have reached my goal there, something else will come along or someone will come along and throw a spanner in the works and I will have new goals.

Like I said it is neverending.

Love Lucy :p

Last edited: Nov 3, 2006