Where to get a bo and what, and how much?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by prowla, Apr 25, 2007.

1. prowla

prowla Valued Member

There are four of us in the family doing karate: myself and my boys aged 13, 10, and 7. At the moment we've got two bo (myself and the eldest) and a jo (bought for the middle boy when he was too small for a full-size one).
    They're mass-produced softer wood ones rather than individually honed from the core of a 500 year old oak tree, if you get my drift.
    But now the boys have grown a bit and have moved up the grades, so we need another full-size bo.
    And I've decided I'd like a good one for me.
    Just want a plain one, not any fancy carvings or decorations.
    But I've no idea of quality, price, and where to get them.
    Any advice?

2. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Moved to Weapons so you get responses from those who don't check the Karate forum :)

3. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

What you require is a rokushakubo

A freind of mine owns a martial arts shop and ships throughout the UK

Call 01472 250075 Satori Ryu Martial arts - and ask for Paul or Neil, they'll send it to you.

4. jackal365

jackal365 New Member

http://www.bostaff.com This isn't a joke, this really is this guys website addy. He makes custom made bo staffs from your choice of hardwoods. Basically, you choose the exact length, exact taper (if any), and what woods he uses.

He creates custom laminations as well, meaning he will bind 2 different woods together to give it a unique appearance. Check out his website. His prices are fair and there isn't a glittery staff to be found.

5. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

$85 (£43) to purchase the bo + Postage and Packaging to the UK (£??), + 17.5% VAT and import tax. = No such a good deal.

6. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Bo Staff? Is that a Staff Staff? A bit like a Panzer Tank...? :D

7. jackal365

jackal365 New Member

Well, stop being from the UK then. I'm only kidding. Sorry, I wish I knew of someplace over there that could help you out.

But in all fairness (apparently only to anyone in the US) I think 85 is a small price to pay to have a staff custom tailored to your specifications. Maybe that's just me.

8. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

That's about what I might pay for a waster, so it's not out of the ball park.

-Mark

9. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

I have several bo within my dojo, all genuine Japanese oak and were no more than £25 for each of them.

10. gungfujoe

gungfujoe Please, call me Erik. :)

It seems to me that, unless the staff is overly ornate, there's a whole lot more labor/skill/craftsmanship that goes into making a usable wooden sword than into a long, straight, cylindrical stick (even if it's tapered). I can't see paying US$85 for a staff unless it was made with an especially rare/expensive wood.

11. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

12. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

Check out the Playwell and Blitz websites, they have loads of them and they are pretty cheap. I got a nice rattan one for £12.

13. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

True, but it's harder to get longer straight pieces of wood. Perhaps that's where the price difference is. :confused:

Then again: http://www.armor.com/pole118.html :)

Best regards,

-Mark

14. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

15. gungfujoe

gungfujoe Please, call me Erik. :)

I might buy that argument if not for the fact that pretty much all staffs are long, straight pieces of wood, and they usually don't cost anywhere near US$85.

I've actually been pretty happy with the (straight, not tapered) white wax staff I bought from Century MA awhile ago. I had thought that white wax wood was ultra-light and flexible, but it turns out that it's heftier than most rattan staves I've used in the past, and is quite solid. I haven't been using it long enough to see how it holds up to long-term abuse, though. It's also not really suitable for someone who is specifically looking for a heavy hardwood staff, though (which is why I didn't mention it when I first saw the initial post). Their list price is $25, but if you're buying it through a martial arts school, the teacher is getting it for a lot less than that, and may pass along some of the savings if he's nice. :)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  16. Nurofen

Nurofen Valued Member

I have an Autarky Australian Blue River Gum tapered staff, sanded and oiled it when i got it and the damn thing is almost indestructible, I can stand on it (I weigh 75kg).
    It has a nice, moderately hefty feel and only cost me AU$40.

Of course if you're not lucky enough to live in the land downunder you might need to go for something substandard.
    lol ;)

17. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

i bought my black oak 6ft bo of EBAY for £10

18. wayne649

wayne649 allie of the night

dudes, i want a staff 2 start 2 learn with, do i need 2 buy a 80 something$'s peice of a tree that over 10 times my age? would a $5 6ft brush shaft not do the same job?

19. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

20. wayne649

wayne649 allie of the night

nice, btw just got a proper bo staff, ne1 no ne good drills r tecquenics (r links)