Where to find MMA events

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Haste, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Haste

Haste Scream

I'm looking to do some amateur MMA fights but I don't know where to really look. Specifically, where can I find Mixed Martial Arts fights in Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Iowa?

-Haste

2. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Well, the standard method is to train in an MMA gym and get on the fight team. Similar, but not quite so school-restrictive, is to talk to people at MMA gyms and get a feel for who runs the fight shows. It'd be best to put in some time with someone's fight team anyway though. It's important to know where you stand. As a note, I don't know, but MMA may be illegal in your region. We got it legalized here in Tennessee in the last year or so. Not so long ago, it was standard practice to travel upwards of 5 hours to fight. In short, if you want to fight, talk to the fighters.

3. illegalusername

illegalusername Second Angriest Mapper

I'd say do this.

Out of curiosity, what have you trained in if your coach/gym/dojo/something can't arrange a fight?

4. Haste

Haste Scream

I train at an MMA gym in Minnesota (not the MMA Academy, but I'm not going to say exactly where). My trainer probably could set up a fight (he already set up a kickboxing fight for me - good fun!) but I would like to be able to find fight events on a website or something so I can watch, fight, etc.

Believe me, I'm not one of those "I'll jump in and be a MMA star" type people. I just want to know where they go on and how to find them. Just do a couple of fights and see what happens.

Help appreciated!

-Haste