Where to find Chinese Wax Wood in the UK

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by galen burnett, Jan 5, 2014.

1. galen burnett

galen burnett New Member

Good evening all,

I need chinese wax wood for a new staff. Rather than buy £160 worth of the stuff from

http://www.barcham.co.uk/trees-for-sale/buy-chinese-privet-ligustrum-lucidum-variegata,

Does anyone know where in the UK I could find this tree (maybe some grows local to you and we could sort something out between us?) to make a staff out of its wood? Or maybe you know of a better deal online? The wood's Latin name is Ligustrum Lucidum; I read that it grows in the South of England sometimes.

Also, know of good not-online broadsword merchants in the UK - London perhaps, where I could go and try one out before I buy?

If anyone also needs some wax wood and would like to chip in on the deal I've found above, let me know.

Many thanks,
    Galen

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Yep I'll chip in.

I've always wanted to get involved in a financial transaction with a complete stranger on the internet.

I missed my last chance with that Nigerian General.

3. Wooden Hare

Wooden Hare Banned Banned

Why that wood?

There are dozens of great, strong woods that are ideal for making a gun/gwan.

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Could you recommend some? Since the demise of Gwangung it's been very difficult to get decently weighted waxwood staffs for Kung Fu.

5. Wooden Hare

My personal favorite is peltogyne/purpleheart. There are plenty of others but I am biased towards this one because my favorite staff is made of this wood.

It has a number of qualities that make it good for either training or self defense weapon. It will hold up very, very well after a lot of contact and if cared for properly will even maintain its finish. The heartwood is extremely dense but the overall staff is pliable. It is naturally water and bug resistant.

This wood is actually so strong, it will often dull/break cutting tools. It has a higher specific gravity and much higher modulus of rupture than Red Oak.

http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/purpleheart/

This is a GREAT resource on quality hardwoods for staff weapons. You'll note Purpleheart is not at the top of their list, but they still list it as a quality wood.

http://arakiryu.org/wp/?page_id=544

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  6. Ben Gash CLF

Those all seem very hard/dense, don't have the lightness and springiness of waxwood.

7. Ben Gash CLF

Also surely the cost of purpleheart and the difficulties working it are somewhat prohibitive? That's before you've gone into the ethics of using Amazonian hardwoods.

8. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

It's aimed at Araki-ryu practice and possibly Koryu on a wider scale.

From little I've seem of CMA staff it differs to Koryu Bojutsu.

9. Wooden Hare

Yep, that's why I like it.

The cost is not bad, given the quality.

The ethics? Somebody else cut down the tree long ago, I just adopted and care for an awesome little piece of it.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  10. Ben Gash CLF

It fundamentally changes the dynamics of the weapon though.

11. Wooden Hare

True. The peltogyne doesn't give as much, so there are certain staff forms (e.g. single ended stuff like Eight Trigrams) that don't seem to work well with it. It's harder to get the right feel, especially since my purpleheart is a bit shorter (and thinner) than a typical Chinese gwan.

But other techniques like some of the double ended pole work, the density adds a lot of impact power, which works well for a guy like me. YMMV. :meditate: