Where does the power come from in a fajing strike/ an internal power strike?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by cpthindsight, Apr 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Ok, just me as a a regular poster. Wow, that isn't very friendly. I am trying to ask for clarification of your post to understand it better. I am not asking for "valuable info" just trying to understand what you were saying better.

I am also confused about your background because on one hand you talk like you have first hand experience- stating things factually. Then you say things like you heard this or that, but have experience in boxing. This suggests you are asking because you don't have experience. You are contradicting yourself or I am not understanding. Knowing where people are coming from helps conversations go better.

2. aaradia

Mod hat on again. This thread has some interesting possibilities. But that will only develop if we are civil with each other. Let's focus on the interesting stuff instead of sniping at others. Thanks.

3. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Not really - there are some aspects I don't bring up in the video, such as some of my schools neigong aspects that we incorperate, but as these can vary from technique to technique, it seemed a little daft to bring them up in this, which is a quite specific demonstration.
    In terms of "how to throw a taiji-ish punch", the major parts are included.

4. Dan Bian

Yes :D

1) I agree with - though the reason I didn't bring it up in the video was that I was speaking in front of a couple of newer students, who are just getting out of 'falling' into their steps, so I didn't want them to confuse 'dropping' into a technique to add power, with generally 'falling' into movements in an uncontrolled way.

2) An oversight on my part, to be honest - I should have brought it up in the video, though if I remember, we had been discussing it in the class before hand.
    As an aside, that video was cool, though not what I do in terms of opening the hips. The 'double hip' movement he is demonstrating seems to be a bit of a 'wind-up' before striking?? EG, he turns his waist away from the opponent, before turning back with the strike. I would go straight in the direction that I want to go, and train to generate power over that short distance (inch-jin etc)

3) Again, an oversight :eek:

5. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Cool.

Yeah, the double hip movement is good but can telegraph the punch. It is a nice concept to help learn to keep the elbow to the side when opening the hips. So it can be done with other footwork using the same principle.

Going back to your video Dan Bian, it was kind of difficult showing power the way your student was holding the focus mitt. When the mitt is held across the body, you end up doing a power slicing punch. I think you had the better alignment in the video when you had your vertical fist against your student and asking him to push against you. That line of power more off your right shoulder (instead of across the body) with arm more bent can be a very powerful punch. It is basically a battering ram with your body behind it.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

If you telegraph on the double hip you arent doing it correctly.

The initial training shows that "swivel" to hardwire the conxept, but the actual "combat" delivery woks on hiding hides initiation phase

7. cpthindsight

cpthindsight Banned Banned

Profanity laced insults deleted, with no job, haha you loser.

Trolls on here are the same all losers too with low self esteem bahahahaha I mean for men full gorwn men to put silly pics on their avitars then troll people omg total loser more profanity deleteds hhahaha

signing out And yet more profanity ladden insults deleted.

ooooo yea!!!!!!

cpthisndisgh, Profanity laced tirades are absolutely not allowed on MAP either. Nor are attacks on moderators. Should you come back, you really need to take the time to review the TOS before posting again. Click on the link I provided you.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2015
  8. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Yeah, it can be hidden by not leading with it. Instead leading with a lead hand slap like in the video.

It can become a natural part of footwork for many of the strikes. It can be done by sort of cross stepping forward with the rear leg and then stepping with the lead leg. Not rotating the shoulders from the original position until after the lead foot steps down and the reverse punch is initiated. After a bit, it can look as simple as a shuffle step followed by a slide step, and punch.

9. Chen dakhan

Chen dakhan New Member

The power comes from seeing clearly

10. Dan Bian

How does an abstract attempt at sounded mysterious help anyone?

11. Hannibal

Aimed for Lao Tzu......

[​IMG]

....hit David Brent

[​IMG]

12. Chen dakhan

Chen dakhan New Member

In answer to the op, that's about as straight forward a statement as I could make it . The truth is in it for any willing to see , and for any wanting to move their practice on hopefully it'll give them a clue as to where to look , for those walking the way already it might serve as marker that they're on the right track .
    That was my hope, lol :)

13. aaradia

Chen the OP has been banned, so conversation directed to him specifically won't do much good.

I think your statement is to vague to be of much help really. Can you elaborate on it?

I am just now starting to really delve into Fa Jing, but what I am learning really doesn't have to do with my sight at all. Either in a literal sense or an esoteric one.

14. Hannibal

Or to keep it simple "describe the biomechanics involved"

15. Dan Bian

That's odd, because a number of people in this thread have actually given much more straight forward answers than yours.

Trying to come off as wise by making vague statements, then acting as if we should be greatful for your input doesn't go down well here.

16. Chen dakhan

Chen dakhan New Member

Seeing things clearly sets us free, this freedom generates enormous power ( or is capable of generating )
    Re op we shouldn't be to quick to ban people because they don't fit our fixed concepts
    1 it's our fixed concepts that restrict us
    2 they can teach us about ourselves
    3 we loose the opportunity to help them

:-D

17. Hannibal

Absolute bollocks

18. Dan Bian

:ban:

Enough nonsense.

19. Chen dakhan