Where do you live, and what do you do, for how long?

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Stolenbjorn, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

I know I've posted this a hundred other places, but I'm very interrested in where in the world the rest of you WMA'ers/re-enacters live.

I live in southern Norway, and I train primarily Fiore del Libere's longsword, dagger and wresteling. This is my third year. I allso nip at mendoza's boxing, and I-33 as well as dying on the battlefield doing viking/medieval re-enactment :rolleyes:

2. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Hi Stolenbjorn

I'm in Greenock, on the West Coast of Scotland, practicing Single-Stick (full contact whenever possible), Broadsword, Dirk & Targe, and early forms of pugilism & traditional wrestling. No plans to dress up in period costume...yet!

We train with fencing mask, elbow/knee pads and padded gloves as was done in the late 1800's -1900's.

Louie

3. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

I live on the Isle of Wight (south coast of England) and train with a Viking reenactment group called the Wolfguard. We train every other Sunday for two or three hours, and take part in dark age and mediaevil battles both here and on the mainland. I have yet to take part in a mainland battle (which are obviously much larger than local ones) but look forward to it.

4. tonymok125

tonymok125 Valued Member

Hullo Stolenbjorn!
    I know this might be in the wrong of this forum! But was just having a gander around!

I do JKD, Silat & Kali. I do this in the UK, in a place called Stoke-On-Trent!! And I have been doing this for about nearly 3 years!! Good fun too!!

:D

5. Isabella la Red

Isabella la Red New Member

In nz

Hi all
    well Im in Auckland, NEW ZEALAND
    And we a few groups though out nz doing re-enactment now. Im with 3 of these groups.

6. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

I live in the northern part of southern Califonia, USA
    Im an ex SCA member looing to get into more historical fighting.

7. kenpfrenger

kenpfrenger sportin' a Broughton

I live in North East Ohio. I have been doing martial arts of various varieties:) since I was 16(and iformally long before that) I am pushing 39 right now. Right now my current focus in on the western martial arts but in the past I have done Muay Thai, JKD concepts, Kali and a host of other things. My western martial journey stated in 89 when I began boxing and wrestling as martial arts rather than as sport. I picked up the Irish stick in 97 and have been digging into that since. Currently I work my boxing ....from Mendoza tp Dempsey, and I do various forms of folk wrestling, big knife...bowie and navaja. Singlestick and Silvers shortsword. I also play with Silvers material on the battle axe but that is relatively new. I train in savate when my hips aren't aching:)

8. Rob Lovett

Rob Lovett Valued Member

Hi all,

My main focus of study and practise is Fiore dei Liberi, I practise other WMA as well, but mainly Fiore. I also practise New Breed and have started filipino stick.
    I started with boxing, wrestling and judo taught to me by me old fella and then at 15 started re-enactment, In 96 I abandoned re-enactment to try and get closer to the real art, and have never looked back, studying for a while with the most excellent Terry Brown and finally starting to study Fiore dei Liberi in 99, this becoming a full time obsession in 2000.
    I do all of this is Dagenham and if anyone wants to come down then please feel free, we practise as a group twice a week and every two months hold a seminar that focuses on a particular element of Fiore or WMA.

Regards
    Rob

9. WatchfulAbyss

WatchfulAbyss Active Member

hi all

I live in newark ohio my main styl is Tetsu Hei (Iron Solider) and along side that iaido to help with the foot work since we have a aikido based style and iaido has foot work about the same the dojo is called Shinkyotei martial arts university.
    The style is pretty new its mostly aikido and jujitsu but has Wing Chung,Iron palm,Iron body,Kyusho as well i have only been at this style for about four months, but have a year of tkd and a year Ko Sutemi the style i take now is good fun

Last edited: Apr 9, 2004
  10. Louie

Hi Blind....

Glad to see you've been checking out the Western MA section of the forum, hope you find something of interest.

Louie :D

11. Tim Merritt

Tim Merritt New Member

Central California Coast, new to ARMA longsword.

12. Obese_Ninja

Obese_Ninja New Member

Hi all, names Peter.I'm 16 and living in Greenford, London. I've been doing Choi Kwang Do for 3 years, nearly black belt (yes I know, Eastern, I'm gettin to the Western part, be patient) Since I was around 6 or 7 i have been playing with my uncles in a playfight game, or so I thought. When I was looking on the internet in 2001 I stumbled across 'bata' which I knew from my mother's side meant stick. Upon talking to Ken Pfrenger-on the list-I discovered that the Irish also used their own unique martial arts. So after a few emails with Ken I decided to ask my uncles and aunts what they knew, apparently the fight 'game' was the basis for a style developed by my family in the 1690's for about a year or so I have been training in the family style, incorporating stick, sword, knife, dagger, saber, hammer, axe, wheat flails, cudgels,staves, canes and empty hand striking and grappling. This is a pretty long post so I'm going to shut up now. :)

13. Louie

Bata

Hi Peter...
    I'm sure a few people of Irish origin living in London may want to pay a visit to see what you've been taught.

You'll find that unlike many of the claims made by Eastern Martial Artist, anyone including myself, who claim some sort of connection with a link to Western Martial Art will have to continually prove the authenticity of their claim. So get a video of your Uncle demonstating his techniques, are there any letters, newspaper reports mentioning the family connection with Bata,
    photos?

Keep us posted & lots of luck with your martial art....

Louie

14. Stolenbjorn

Hello, Tim, fellow longsworder :)
    What style are you into? Italian? German? Other? Not decided yet?

15. Obese_Ninja

Obese_Ninja New Member

The Bata list told me to do the same and my uncle is readying himself for a video, however, I am not the only one to carry on the martial art, my mother has 17 other living brothers and sisters, most of whom know at least one aspect to the art. With each teaching their children, so It may take some time to gathertogether the 'aspects', however there is a family reunion for my grandmothers birthday so hopefully I will have a video produced soon.
    Thanks for the advice

Oh, and the only newspaper articles involved fights with the local tinkers :D

16. Louie

Good!! hold onto all this information for later years....
    As for the 'tinker' or in the Gaelic 'Tinceard'(Tin-Smiths) as they originally were known, for a great account of the old fighting methods and life of a bare knuckle fighter check out the book 'King of the Gypsies' the memoirs of the late bareknuckle champ, Bartley Gorman.

Posting a scan of the article would be greatly appreciated!!

Louie

17. Tim Merritt

Tim Merritt New Member

Stolenbjorn, style? Anything that works! Actuall, I've looked quite a bit into Meyer, but I think I'll check out Fiore more closely when I get my hands on some text I understand.

18. Stolenbjorn

Bob Cherrone is making a translation that will be very thorrough. I was supposed to be released this spring, but has been posponed to the autumn.

19. Rob Lovett

Rob Lovett Valued Member

Tim, if you are in the UK, then look us up at the Exiles, our core training and source is Fiore, studying from all three manuals that are attributed to him.

If you are interested then mail me or look up our website at http://www.the-exiles.org

Regards
    Rob

20. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Hi, im 18 from Strood in Rochester in Kent in England (pause for breath). I studied several eastern arts, Chikarakai Karate, Choi Kwang Do, RyuKyu Jujitsu, Wing Chun and Golden Phoenix Tae Kwon Do. I've also done a couple of years of traditional boxing. Now i train in an art that encompasses parts of all of these, TeJitsuDo :)