Where did Kickboxing originate?

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by pocketwarrior, Oct 19, 2003.

1. marcusknight

marcusknight Valued Member

i do korean kickboxing, if ur instructor talks in korean then he is probably teaching you korean kickboxing as well.
    does neone know the differeence between korean kickboxing and muy tai?, and do muy tai fighters and other kickboxers use weapons too or is it just korean kickboxing that uses weapons?

2. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

The actual spelling is in Korean letters, not English, but sounds like Kyung Yae.

Pugil

3. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Korean Kickboxing!!!

I first studied Korean Martial Arts in 1973 and until recently had never heard the term Korean Kickboxing. Sounds like a case of some people worried about missing out on something becoming more popular, all jumping on the bandwagon.

Pugil

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

It'll be Korean BJJ next :rolleyes:

5. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

:D Now aint that the truth!

6. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Is that true? I thought Muay Thai was much older! Even 'Savate' (la boxe française) in its modern-day sporting form dates back further than that to the early-mid 1800's.

Pugil

7. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

In fact, Savate (or la boxe française) was the demonstration sport in the 1924 Paris-based Olympic Games - well before anyone had ever heard of most so-called kickboxing styles we hear of today.

Pugil

8. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

Hey I take korean bjj!! Well my bjj is in our dojang :) . I would really consider it American bjj since it is taught in USA so if it's taught in korea i'm sure it would be korean as well. The same goes for my tkd.

9. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

There's also San Shou but it's Chinese Boxing.

10. speed_dragon

speed_dragon Valued Member

hey dude dont diss america ...i protect this country daily so i take offense to stuff like that..but yes we didnt wanna learn kate we just took karate and thai boxing along with our boxing and there u have it

11. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I think the claim that Korea has is that it may have the first recorded Martial Arts (yes the paintings on walls in Caves) but it is true that the term tae kwon do is only 50 or so years old. When Japan invaded Korea it attempted to wipe out all the traditional Korean arts with some degree of success and when the occupation ended they developed Tae kwon do out of the remanants of other Martial Arts. If you look at the names of some styles of TKD these seem to be taken from the older korean MA's as far as I can see.