Where did Charles Mattera from USSD get his 9th Degree?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Gufbal1981, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Gufbal1981

Gufbal1981 waiting to train...

I'm totally not doubting his skill, but where did he get the rank?

2. dostoevsky

dostoevsky New Member

I believe he got at least his 8th degree directly from Fred Villari III. I read somewhere that he received a rank from Nick Cerio after leaving Villari, but not sure if it was his 9th or 10th degree. I'm sure someone else in this forum will be able to provide some better clarity to the specifics.

3. bill007

bill007 New Member

I've heard Master Clermont Poulin is the highest ranked by Professor Cerio and He's 8th degree.

4. FightingMonk2k3

FightingMonk2k3 Valued Member

i've read that he left Villari's Shaolin-Kempo at the 6th degree black, and then trained in China and "self promoted" himself to the 10th degree black.

5. 14 Kempo

14 Kempo Valued Member

Mr. Mattera is listed as 7th Dan on my Shodan certificate from FVSSD in 1987. I believe he left at that rank. Also, it has been stated throughout the message boards that Nick Cerio promoted Mr. Mattera to 8th Dan prior to breaking all ties.

6. Gufbal1981

Um, pardon me if I'm wrong, but isn't Fred Villari III, GM Fred Villari's son?

7. dostoevsky

dostoevsky New Member

According to one Kempo family tree, GM Villari is listed as Fred Villari III. That same tree lists his Grandfather, Frederick Joseph Villari, above GM Villari, with a lineage that goes back to a Tibetan Lama which further goes back to Bodidharma. I also read in a seperate source somewhere that GM Villari's initial training started with his Grandfather/father. Whether this info is true I don't know, but that is where I got the III for GM Villari.

8. Gufbal1981

Ok, dude...if you look at a Fred Villari Rank Tree, Fred Villari III is listed as a first degree black and Fred Villari is listed as a 10th dan. My understanding from his book is that his father was Frederick J. Villari Sr., Frederick J. Villari Jr. is GM Villari and Frederick J. Villari the III is his son.

9. Gufbal1981

Ok, so back to my original question, where did Charles Mattera get his 9th degree?

10. natkungfu

natkungfu Valued Member

He went down to the house of fabrics.

11. Gufbal1981

LOL!!!!! That's Funny.

12. natkungfu

natkungfu Valued Member

He had to ranked himself. No one has come forward and said he was their student.

13. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Apparantly he is now 10th dan (as of 2001)

I don't know much about him but he seemed to have a pretty good reputation. I was surprised to see the Matt Furey-esque full page ad in this month's Black Belt to buy all of his Shaolin Secrets though. :confused:

Check out http://www.shaolinsecrets.com/about.html

14. Gufbal1981

He is a 10th degree...was awarded to him by the Abbot of the Shaolin temple (who has the authority to rank a Kempo person?). The book is ok...but it says the same thing that every other book that has information about "Shaolin Secrets" has said.

15. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

You guys are all wrong! Charlie boy is Jesus approved!
    [​IMG]

16. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

So the reason for this thread is for you to enlighten us? That is good, but you could have mentioned it sooner.

Kempo was quick on the draw to get his favorite person into the thread.

Now it is answered and that is a start, or is it?

Gary

17. Gufbal1981

No it's not answered. I know where he got his 10th degree. The question of the thread is where did he get his 9th degree? It doesn't say anywhere in the USSD manual. That's the thread...that's the question...if you don't have an answer, Gary, then stick to what you can answer rather than what you cannot.

18. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

My guess is he gave it to himself. So why not make himself 10th? he is far too humble to do that! :eek:

19. Gufbal1981

I think that's a good a guess as any. I personally like Steve DeMasco's certificate though...it says "This guy does cool stuff" and supposibly that makes him a 10th degree.

20. shaolinmonkmark

shaolinmonkmark Valued Member

To Guf,

Hey Guf, if memory serves me right, didn't Matterra get his 9th from Nick Cerio just right before cerio died ?