Where can i train in kalaripayattu in the uk

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Begs, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Begs

Begs New Member

Just got back from Kerala, this art is amazing, any school in the midlands. Have scoured this site and internet can only find one in London...anyone help?

2. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

I was gonna suggest London is your most likely bet, if anywhere. From what I can tell it's not exactly mainstream in the UK. Wouldn't mind having a crack at it myself. Maybe you could get in touch with the club and explain the distance and see if they do private lessons and arrange to meet halfway or something?

3. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Hello,

Sifu Paul Whitrod a known southern praying mantis practioner in London is well known to have also extensively studied and teaches kalaripayattu in East London. Never trained with him but he has had columns in the past for some UK MA publications and seems to have a good rep. Website is http://www.martialartschannel.co.uk

Even if you can't travel to the school I am sure he could assist finding a Guru nearer to you, Let us know if you attend and your thoughts on the school.

Cheers

Dan93

EDIT! Sorry noted you have seen a school in London - I am sure he can help through!

Cognito Ergo Sum!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  4. rowland templar

rowland templar New Member

These guys may be worth a look, not trained with them myself so I can't recommend as such.

http://nidarsingh.com/nihang/quotes/home-ns.php

EDIT:
    I see the link isn't working as expected, but if you google Nidar Singh Nihang you'll find him...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  5. Begs

Begs New Member

thanks everyone could be classes in Birmingham and Leicester, will make further enquiries, but being involved in an art that pre-dates any other martial art is a strong pull. In India I went on stage and got involved some of the moves are similar to what I have trained in other arts :)

6. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Questionable on the indian arts predating other arts and I doubt anyone can vaildate this with physical data baring in mind all cultures have had some kind of Martial tradition since we learnt that Rocks were a effective way of getting a point across and taking another tribes livestock!

Interesting art but would like to see hard evidence of its claim to be the great grandfather of the combatative arts.

The Western World's combative arts were at least equal some might argue superior to the Eastern Arts i.e. look to the Roman War Machine, Greece, Viking/Saxon invasions in Western Europe these cultures would not have had the success they enjoyed if these had not had not been organised and effective. I feel we in the West get hung up and the Eastern traditions and forget the legacy that is right under our noses.

Cheers

Dan93

Cognito Ergo Sum!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  7. jaggernautico

jaggernautico Valued Member

phillip zarilli might have some students over in London, he wrote the great book when the body becomes all eyes, check with him as well:

http://www.phillipzarrilli.com/

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

If you want an art that predates all others go pick up a rock and smack someone upside the head with it - other than that take claims of "we were first" with appropriate doses of sodium cholride

9. BarneyB

BarneyB New Member