Where can I get kid's staffs?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Ben Gash CLF, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I'm thinking 5' rattan, but whatever's available really.

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Buy a 6' staff, a saw and some glass paper.

That's basically all the suppliers would do and they'd charge you a premium for it.

3. Ben Gash CLF

This was what I'd come up with, but it's a pain to do everytime I need to get a kid a staff.

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

You know someone with a circular saw and an angle grinder? Those will make the job a lot quicker.

5. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Doesn't a study of the martial arts generate patience? ;)

6. Osu,

Try the Catholic Church... :yeleyes:

Osu!

7. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Head yourself over to Playwell.co.uk they have a selection of wooden weapons including staffs of varying lengths...

8. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Tiger Claw offers some nice lightweight practice bo's.

9. Ben Gash CLF

Thanks Chimp, perfect (and cheap too).

10. schwarz

schwarz Valued Member

well if you havent already invested i would go to lowes hardware, they usually have small wooden staves for very very cheap..they do not have finish and are very plain but effective for use!

11. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

I was about to recommend Home Depot or some other DIY shop. That's where I used to buy my staffs, too. I'm only 5'6", and at least in Wah Lum we measure the size of a staff based on the individual. The way I was taught to measure a staff was to hold your arm straight overhead and curl your fingers. If you stand the staff upright next to you, you should just barely be able to curl your fingers over the top of the staff, cupping the top of the staff (and thus, being able to push down). So, a staff for my 6' tall son would be a bit longer than a staff that would be the appropriate size for me to use.

I like the idea of the weapon being sized to the individual, but it's also nice just to be able to buy a "standard" sized weapon and use it.