What's your Strangest Injury or mishap?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Terry Matthes, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Terry Matthes

Terry Matthes New Member

My strangest mishap was yesterday in class, I seem to have got matt burn on my eyelid :confused: I have no idea how it happened.

2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Strangest, hmm, got to be the time when I was being Tomi Nage'd (stomach throw) lost all forwards momentum and virtually did a tombstone onto the other guys forehead.

I had concussion and a squished neck, and he got concussion too!

Col

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Breaking my own nose while shadowboxing was pretty strange :D

4. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Well there goes all respect for your skills Yoda...

As for me, I'm not admitting to anything :D

5. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Oh, Yoda reminded me I did manage to punch myself in the face whilst being armlocked by Fluffydoc!

Col

6. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Trying a capoeira kick I taught myself

Works well on my own but I did it at a seminar and hit a heavy bag with it.

Fell over as it felt like my knee went out. Thought I was gonna be sick. Funny as 2 mins later I was right as rain.

Everyone said it looked good until I feel over!!!!!
    :D

7. Holgate

Holgate New Member

not an MA injury but I did manage to break my toes while skateboarding....not strange you may think, but I wasn't actually skateboarding at the time it was someone elses laser guided missile of a skateboard that did it!

8. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Banned Banned

Managed to split open my own eye throwing someone else, i was teaching at the time, was a reaping throw, threw him so hard he bounced off the mat, we clashed heads, i thought nothing of it till the blood starting dripping.

6 hours in Wigan Infirmary casualty and 6 butterfly stitches!!

9. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

I cracked my own ribs (badly) whilst enthusiastically demonstrating a hammer-fist strike to a potential student.

Normally, I would have Braced for Impact but I was still talking at the crucial moment. Or perhaps I should have demoed on him because my sales patter wasn't enough to get him to class. :D

Rgds,
    David

10. Adam

Adam New Member

Axe kicking my own nose bloody and dislocating a testicle while doing situps.

11. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Despite the bad grammar, that's still one helluva sentence, Adam! :D

Rgds,
    David

12. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

At a demo in a field, we were demoing typical defences against punches. Me and my partner would do the attack and defence then swap roles.

A little nervous because of the growing crowd, and the fact we always commit totally to every attack, he forgot it was MY turn to attack.

The end result was 2 right hooks, one leaving me near unconscious and the other breaking his nose.

I still remember the stars flying round my head :D

13. Cain

Cain New Member

Same as adam - axe kicked my own face.

Another when I slipped my hands doing push ups and landed flat on my nose, it happend quite a few times, even my chin's getting accostumed to it :(

|Cain|

14. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

A couple of years ago I broke a bone in my finger on my own jaw whilst shadow-boxing...

... feel a bit better hearing that the mightly Yoda had a similar incident... of course his aim was better!

It shows real dedication to shadow-boxing to beat yourself up.

15. Helm

Helm New Member

Just remembered a funny story;

a year ago or so, i was trying to teach a friend how to do a 540 reverse roundhouse.

He jumped up, span once and stuck his kicking leg out waay too early, he tried to over-stretch to reach the target which ended up with him basically doing the splits in mid air with a "snap", or it was more of a "tear".

When he got back up, he looked down his dobok trousers to see he had ripped his boxer-shorts clean in half!
    I probably laughed for 2 hours solid after that.

16. Kenpo_Chris

Kenpo_Chris New Member

Well, I um... managed to... pull a butt muscle trying a 540 cold. :eek:

EDIT: and another time me and my friend both did a spinning heel hook at the same time and our legs locked together leaving us hobbling like cripples on one foot! lol (not an injury, but still embarassing)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2003
  17. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Yesterday I was sparring and my opponent head-butted me in the ribs. It still hurts. I can't beleive I let him do that! lesson learned : cough medicine and sparring are a bad combination. Also, keep moving.

18. -=|§ØÛ£|=-

-=|§ØÛ£|=- New Member

Lol, Yoda pulling the ol' Boomerang Fist on himself.

19. munchkin

munchkin Guest

Hmm...the ones I can admit to in mixed company are

1) breaking my tailbone doing a lunge, and
    2) having my contact lense shoved up and behind my eyelid playing a martial arts "game" with another member. She accidentally shoved her thumb in my eye, or did I shove my eye in her thumb? Anyway, it took a couple of hours for the contact to work its way back down to my eyeball.

The other things are too goofy and embarrasing to mention.

20. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I gave myself a black eye doing an elbow strike once. The fist goes over the shoulder, and I missed my shoulder and smacked myself in the eye.