What's Your Favorite Style of Karate?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Korpy, May 11, 2005.

1. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Well what is everyone's favorite styles of Karate?

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

The one that I do.

I'm sure everyone's answer will be along similar lines.

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

The one that I do.

What'd you know, Moosey was right

4. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

This may or may not make any sense, but....
    I do Shotokan, but from what I've seen, I like the Shorin-Ryu approach (particularly to kata) better. It just looks more "Okinawan" to me, where as Shotokan feels too "Japanese."

5. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

If your just gonna say the one I do, then at least say which style you do. :rolleyes: :)

6. kungfufighter

kungfufighter Banned Banned

Kyokushinkai man i regret quiting it.

7. TimoS

TimoS Valued Member

Could that be because Shorin ryu karate is Okinawan ? :eek:

As for me, the one I do (Kokusai Shorinji ryu) is the one I like best, otherwise I wouldn't be doing it...

8. Moosey

Shotokan.

The reason for my flippant answer was that you're not gonna get a balanced, objective reply. Everyone does their style of karate because they enjoy it - otherwise they wouldn't do it. Consequently, I think that the Shotokan style is better than the others because, with the instructor that we have, it's very effective. However, If I was taught Shotokan karate by a complete monkey, I probably wouldn't have such a high opinion of it.

You'll soon realise that there are only about four answers you'll ever get to a "what MA should I do?" or "What is best?" question on this site.

1) Muay Thai

2)Brazillian Jujitsu/MMA

3)Kyokushinkai

4)Try them all and see which you like.

This might reflect the balance of members of this site or the relative profile of each MA, but in the end #4 is the only one worth listening to.

9. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

as an overall style you can probably guess I would go for kyokushin. those guys are TOUGH, plus they have cool looking katas :D

10. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

I like Wado Ryu and its quick engage system of fighting is really effective but I prefer some elements of Kyukoshinai

11. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

I do Goju ryu, and I think that Goju ryu and Kyokushinkai are the best. Goju ryu because it is extremely well rounded, and kyokushin because it is extremely tough, although, Goju ryu can be just as tough if you want it to be.

12. Nu Kua

Nu Kua New Member

The instructor is far more important than the style. All legitimate Okinawan karate systems have everything you need to be a complete form of self defense. The more important question is does the instructor understand what is in the katas. The instructor is what makes the difference. You should focus on finding the best instructor you can, not the best system.

13. Juego Todo

Juego Todo Stay thirsty, my friends.

Kyokushinkai. I like the no-nonsense, full-contact approach. Without the kobudo element, it really is true "empty hand". Osu...

14. moononthewater

moononthewater Valued Member

If you cannot find what you are looking for in Go Ju Ryu you are not looking in the right places. Have done Shotokan, Wado Ryu and Keishin Kan and feel Go Ju was a much better all round style but that has much more to do with a a very good teacher.

15. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I always wanted to try Shotokan Karate or Kyokushin Karate.

16. Moosey

Then go for it! I've no experience of Kyoku, but I've been doing shotokan for about 6 years and thoroughly enjoy it. It's a slow burner though! If you take it up, give it time, you will have to learn basic, awkward-seeming techniques.

17. Eero

Eero Valued Member

Koryu Uchinadi!

I missed McCarthy's seminar last year, but this year I'm not going to make the same mistake when he comes back to Finland. It doesn't matter that I'm not doing karate anymore (I do kung fu), because those Koryu Uchinadi seminars are for everyone.

18. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

I practise Shotokan but I prefer Kyokushin (or one of its offshoots) because of the full contact element.

19. indigo-koi

indigo-koi New Member

Koei-Kan

20. ncmartialartist

ncmartialartist New Member

Gotta go for Isshin-Ryu karate.

I've practiced Goju-Ryu, Shotokan, and several different types of Tae Kwon Do, and Isshin-Ryu is by far superior.

Just look at its origins... Tatsuo Shimabuku took Goju-Ryu and Shorin-Ryu, combined the best elements, and BOOM: Isshin-Ryu. It's an awesome art.