What's your favorite punk sub-genre?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by shaolin_hendrix, Jun 29, 2006.

?

What's your favorite punk sub-genre?

1. CBGB/New York

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Detroit/Garage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. LA/Hardcore

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. UK

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Irish/Pub

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  6. New Wave/No Wave

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  7. Oi/Street

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  8. Speed Metal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Ska

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  10. Pop/Emo/Skate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Lemmy founded Motorhead after splitting with Hawkwind, Hawkwind recorded the song Motorhead before Lemmy left.

And it's a load of rubbish above about Judas Priest, they were gigging well before Punk nad Rob didn't come out about his lifestyle untill the 80s, no one really payed that much attention to the leather gear at the time, Any punk at a JP gig would have had to hide or tone down his look, Motorhead did tour with the Damned now and again but there was still animosity between the groups fans. A side note, the lead singer of Wishbone Ash adopted a punk look and had to wear a long hair wig on stage and in interviews to avoid alienating their fans.

And the Clash covered quite a few Ska songs but they were not Ska by any means, Joe would have laughed at that. He realy was not into classifications at all.

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Sure, the Clash weren't a ska-punk band, but they did play a fair amount of ska. And not only covers. Guns of Brixton and In Hammersmith Palais are both original ska-punk compositions.

I'm never sure - did the Clash start the English ska trend that led to the Specials, Madness, Bad Manners, The Selecter etc etc or were they just part of a trend that was happening at the time?

3. adouglasmhor

I think they were part of a trend that was happening at the time, Dub & reggae was really popular on the alternative scene at the time, White man has a lovers rock type beat and Guns has a dub beat rather than a Ska beat.

4. Durkhrod Chogori

Durkhrod Chogori Valued Member

All the stuff you're talking about proves zilch!

We are discussing here whether Speed Metal is a Punk sub-genre (which is not) and Motorhead being a Punk band (a joke if you call this band Punk! come on, what the...!)

I wonder if you've ever attended a Motorhead's recital. I doubt it.

MOTORHEAD: METAL FOREVER!!!!!!!!!! (AGREE 100%).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know very well about Judas Priest's origins and what they achieved. I just mentioned Painkiller as being the typical speed metal album, nothing else.

:woo:

5. shaolin_hendrix

shaolin_hendrix Hooray for Zoidberg!

I never said Motorhead was a punk band, I just said they came out of the punk explosion. Look for interviews with Lemmy concerning punk. He talks about it a little in the July 2006 issue of MOJO Magazine.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  6. shaolin_hendrix

here's the summary of speed metal from rhapsody.com:
    http://www.rhapsody.com/rockpop/metal/thrashspeedmetal/more.html
    "The intensity and speed of Metal bands such as Motorhead and the emergence of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal inspired musicians to take the sound even further. Provoked by the energy, attitude and politics of Punk, a new breed of musicians created something louder and faster. Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Exodus created Thrash in California, combined the guitar style of Punk with the blasting beats and fierce growl of Metal. They were incredible technicians who could play intricate and elaborate song structures at a tremendous speed. Like punks, however, they applied their complex and developed musicianship in a loose and sometimes deliberately sloppy manner. Thrash lyrics share the left-wing politics of Hardcore, and usually center on violence and brutality. Often it is unclear whether the band is for, against or just fascinated by these subjects."

7. Guizzy

Guizzy with Arnaud and Eustache

Hardcore punk through and through.

Dead Kennedys fan ;D

Although I do enjoy the Clash, the Sex Pistols and Bérurier Noir.

And the Ramones.

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Shows what you know. :rolleyes:
    The ska scene was quite big in California.
    Save your America bashing for some time when you actually know what your talking about. ;)
    Ska is more than just the simplistic one dimensional you'd have people believe.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  9. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

ska at it's best is great.
    i agree with slip, it's so much more than being boring.

10. adouglasmhor

I saw Motorhead about a dozen times in the late 70s early 80s. I never said they were punk, quite the reverse, learn to read or learn to shut up please.

11. adouglasmhor

Cali is not the whole of the USA, some of the stuff fobbed of as Ska is just as I said power pop with a one plus one sound.

12. Durkhrod Chogori

Durkhrod Chogori Valued Member

Ad., Shaolin,

It's okay! Just discussing things.

Take care.

13. shaolin_hendrix

I think the band who started ska-punk was probably either the Clash or the Slits. Also, one of the main DJs at the 100 club played mostly reggae.

14. Dyno

Dyno Valued Member

NYHC, obv.

The Exploited were from Edinburgh, in Scotland :S

Last edited: Aug 5, 2006
  15. adouglasmhor

I would say the slits definately brought Reggae into Punk sounds, the Clash Followed on soon after, (I think Joe was going out with one of the Slits (Paloma ‘Palmolive’ Romano at the time - he wrote Spanish bombs for her), But Ska is a sub genre of reggae just like ska punk is a sub genre of punk and Dub was the big alternative sound at the time.

16. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I disagree with you there. Reggae is a sub-genre of ska. AFAIK, ska was invented/named first, as a Jamaican adaptation of US swing sounds which, in order to differentiate itself from the American sound, played with the strict timing of swing but with the staccato off-beat guitar and "walking bass" sound. Early ska is just a swing band with that slight difference in arrangement. Reggae developed later from out of ska, adding more influences of Jazz to the sound.

But please feel free to argue as I wouldn't like to claim to be 100% sure on this one.