What's your favorite punk sub-genre?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by shaolin_hendrix, Jun 29, 2006.

?

1. CBGB/New York

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Detroit/Garage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. LA/Hardcore

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. UK

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Irish/Pub

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  6. New Wave/No Wave

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  7. Oi/Street

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  8. Speed Metal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Ska

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  10. Pop/Emo/Skate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. shaolin_hendrix

shaolin_hendrix Hooray for Zoidberg!

2. Wax

Wax Valued Member

What would McLusky fall under?

3. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

I think this is about the only time that ska/punk will be joint leading the poll. :cool: :D

4. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Yay for t3h 5k4!!!!!!

[​IMG]

5. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Since when was ska a sub-genre of punk? :confused:

6. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Since about the third wave in the 90s, after the 2-tone era. Look up Goldfinger, No Doubt, Sublime, Rancid, etc. :)

7. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Never heard of it. (After my time. ;) :D ) I assumed the the OP meant real ska!

8. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Well, I voted for Irish/pub, but I also like a bit of Oi (as long as it aint fascist), hardcore and the odd 'pop' punk band

9. Moosey

He did specify that the poll was aout punk sub-genres, look at White Man in Hammersmith Palais by The Clash - ska-punk if ever I heard it!

Plus the best punk band of the '90s were ska!

I rest my case for ska-punk being all of t3h r0xx0r!

10. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Then my apologies - I am showing my age and my ignorance. Like I said, it's 'after my time'.

I'll just quietly excuse myself now and leave you young folk to it!

;)

11. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Err, whats the difference between ska and pop/emo/skate (Given I was always told Ska was short for Skate?) and which one does Less Than Jake fit in to?

Edit: And does Irish/Pub include the Dropkick Murphys?

12. Moosey

Less than Jake have released some ska-punk songs (e.g. "Johnny Quest Thinks We're Sell-outs", "Sugar in your Gastank") but aren't usually ska-based, they tend to just do pop-punk with added horns. Ska is an onamatapoeic word originating in Jamaica to describe the staccato sound of the guitars in ska music. It's defined by the guitar playing the off-beat (the alternate beat to the drums) and muting the on-beats. Reggae is a sub-genre of ska, for example.

I reckon Irish/Pub would include the DKMs (although their early stuff is "street" or "OI!")
    </Nerd again>

13. Slindsay

Seeing as Johnny Quest was my favourite song (I had it sig'd for a while) I'm gonna have to go with Ska anyway :D Incidentally, Moosey, you know way to much about this stuff ;)

14. Moosey

What can I say, I spent my teenage years trying to be a ska-lovin' American skate punk, despite being English, rubbish at skating and with the same sense of rhythm as a broken record player.

PS. What line did you have sigged?

15. Slindsay

I actually had:

Johnny Quest think's I'm selling out.

So not exactly a quote so much as it was a parody :D

16. Durkhrod Chogori

Durkhrod Chogori Valued Member

Speed Metal a Punk sub-genre???? :confused:

You must be joking! :woo:

Typical Speed Metal album is Judas Priest's Painkiller:

[​IMG]

And they don't look sub-Punk to me ;) :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I voted New Wave. I like The Cure, Echo and the Bunnymen, etc.

17. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Moosey way to quote a good tune. Wow!
    *starts diggin' through old records.. :p

For me I'd have to say it's gott be the whole west coast hard core scene... there were so many great bands that came out of there or got famous there...

Minor Threat (who actually are from DC)

Bad Brains (ditto)

Wasted Youth

The Adolescents

Judge (out of NYC)

Kro-mags (out of NYC)

Angry Samoans

JFA (Jody Fosters Army)

Circle Jerks

Social Distortion

The Dickies

T.S.O.L.

Black Flag

Dag Nasty

45 Grave

Exploited

The Vandals

Suicidal Tendencies (from my hometown.. Venice Beach!)

and literally hundreds of other skate/punk bands that tore it up!
    ... there were shows nightly from the time I was about 11 or 12... all you needed was 3 bucks to get into most of them... the scene was great. Fenders Ballroom in Long Beach, CA was home to more than one full on riot when the police attempted to give a skin or a punk a j-walking ticket... every year more than on police car got turned over and torched! :p

Another great place was the Olympic Audatorium. Wow that was ages ago!!!
    :eek:

Good fun growing up in that stuff. :D

Attached Files:

18. shaolin_hendrix

shaolin_hendrix Hooray for Zoidberg!

Motorhead, the band who founded speed metal, came out of the punk explosion. The idea of short, fast songs was a punk idea. Motorhead toured with the Ramones, Lemmy Kilmister was good friends with Sid Vicious, and Anthrax's original fanbase had a lot of punks in it. As for Judas Priest's fashion, they got their leather clothing from the homosexual S&M scene, and that kind of counter-culture fashion statement was exactly the kind of thing punks were doing (anti-fashion).

Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  19. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Americans think any pop punk sound with a one plus one bass line is Ska, They are wrong, it's another thing they didn't quite get.

20. Durkhrod Chogori

Durkhrod Chogori Valued Member

Hahaha!

What the...!!!

Motörhead punk? :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motörhead

Mate, obviously you are 17 and still fresh and young. I have seen Motörhead on stage in Madrid/Spain back in 1983 (Girlschool opening the event) when you were even not on this planet ;) (with other 3,000 people) and neither the band nor the audience was punk. If you mentioned the word punk to a metalhead back then you'd have your butt kicked out BIG TIME!

Accidentally I did a net search for Motörhead gigs back in the 80s and look what I came across with. What a beauty for those collectors!

They even opened for Black Sabbath in Dublin (1983):

http://www.black-sabbath.com/tourdates/1983.html

I dunno where you get your strange ideas of mixing punk and Heavy Metal back in the 70s and 80s. These styles were very defined back then. Motörhead never was and never will be a Punk/sub-Punk band. Jesus!

Today things are very different as bands mix up styles a lot in order to enhance their creativity. Back then it was more about cult and status.

:)