what's your favorite ground based martial art

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by jordanblythe104, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

my favorite ground based MA is pushups.

2. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

there's a former sambo guy at my bjj gym. tough as nails. actually, more like scary to roll with.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Not really a martial art is it Lou? As in "at all"

4. mjw

mjw Valued Member

BJJ though they lack on the ankle locks until later in the art so maybe samba but their guard passing isn't as keen b/c of the ankle locks.....

5. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

so do both and be a machine haha

6. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

Why not? I'm "fighting gravity"!

Har har har har har har

7. TaekwonPRO

TaekwonPRO Valued Member

I am an amateur at Brazilian JiuJitsu and I want to learn it for situations in which I am taken to the ground. However, I am disturbed by the lack of throws taught at my school, which is why I would like to perhaps move onto Sambo once I achieve a better level at grappling on the ground, submissions, and transferring positions, which means I'll be doing BJJ for a LONG TIME.

8. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Actually that's a pretty common thing to say about ankle locks but frankly the weakness is primarily from the fact that closed guard is considered stalling in Sambo. As a result their open-guard passes and scrambles are usually good. They tend to resemble folkstyle wrestling. I've always found that the most technical, deep guard games come from people with solid leglocking experience. It's such a fundamental part of the guard-passing game that you can always tell the ones that leave it out.
    Lock up your guard on a Sambist and usually you'll be able to hold him until he stacks and starts striking or shoots for an ankle lock, and then the scramble is back on.
    That's mainly where the CACC comes in for me. Sometimes you've gotta get the other guy moving a little bit.

9. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

that's too bad about the lack of standup work. there's several judoka that train at my bjj gym. my teacher has brought in both a judo instructor, and an all-american wrestler to give us more techniques in the standup game. i think it's a critical component not only for self-defense but for competition. under ibjjf rules, a takedown is two points. it's a nice two points to have to start a match. and of course, in a fight, it's better to be on top than on bottom.

10. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

My favorite ground game is carrying a knife on me. Hard to beat someone trained with one at grappling. I prefer stand-up grappling to avoid immobilizing myself. If I go ground I rely on my judo training. I plan to begin BJJ soon if I can justify the high cost to a nearby MMA gym.

This message has been brought to you by John R. Gambit.

11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Escalating something once your in an inferior position isnt top drawer tactical thinking.

12. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Isn't that a bit like saying "my favourite striking art is a pistol?"

13. Hannibal

If you can't move properly on the ground and you take a shank down there with someone who can you have signed your death warrant

It is not that a knife is cancelled out by jits - it isn't. But unless you can do basic positioning and unless you know how to guard your limbs you will escalate things and will now be faced with a grappler who has had his risk level elevated

Good luck with that one

This is the same as when I teach my guys how to bite and gouge - unless they can grapple in the first place they should not do it

14. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

[​IMG]

like I always say if its between me and someone who cant grapple I know which one of us will be doing any eye gouging/using of a shank ,or anything else that is considered an instant leveller on the ground, in this position.

15. Hannibal

I love Steve's stuff! I always tell my guys to look at him as another who is trying to make "Kesa" sexy again! Considering Erik was one of his coaches it is not too much of a suprise he shares my thought process though!

16. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

it really is lol, and steve's youtube channel is great, some really simple basic stuff that helped me allot when I was a beginner. I should maybe look at getting some of his dvds/books on more advance stuff.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  17. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

Let me declare my preferance in the medium of rap...ahem

J to the U to the D to the Ohhh, gota go wiv da flo, the Gentle Way YO!

You can go to any where in the world and you will find a judo club somewhere in the vicinity.
    Comunication is via a single language (japaneseish) and any one can train anywhere with a shared rule set

Our club has a guy from France visiting. His English isn't that good, but his japenese is as good as everyone elses ;]

18. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

I prefer the "flavor" of Catch/Shoot wrestling with its emphasis on an aggressive top game and wide variety of submissions. However, I think in a century or so the question might be moot. The prevalence of both gi and no-gi grappling competitions that see participants from every spectrum of grappling has the potential to lead to a more unified grappling continuum. At the highest level, it seems like everyone's training a little of everything.

19. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

I don't think it has as much to do with "technical complexity" as tactical considerations. The art of taking someone down can be incredibly complex. Off-balancing alone can take years to perfect, and "chaining" takedowns seems like a more difficult skill to have than chaining submissions; after all, it's relatively easy to crank something if you've got a guy immobilized, but during throw/takedown attempts, the opponent is constantly moving.

Most forms of folk wrestling rely on a throw/fall to finish a contest, though how they define that will vary (ex: any part of the body besides the feet, both shoulders landing at the same time, one shoulder landing, etc). Felling is also a skill that's more useful in battlefield combat than pinning and fighting for a submission in a protracted ground battle, and if I recall correctly was one of the reasons Plato wasn't a fan of Pankration, which allowed for protracted ground battles, being taught to soldiers.

It's not like submissions/joint locks never existed in Western wrestling. As I mentioned above, locks were used in Pankration; Kampfringen, or "army wrestling", utilized standing locks, including "branch up"/ude-garami style arm locks; Catch wrestling utilized cranks and twists to get opponents to "concede a fall". And, indeed, American folkstyle (AKA "collegiate") wrestling is the direct decendant of American-style Catch wrestling, which in turn was influenced by other wrestling styles, but included submissions/"concession holds" as legal techniques at the professional level.

In short, I think throws were emphasized due to it being a more sound battlefield tactic than simply being "less technical".

20. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I am absolutely not suggesting an escalation of use of force by pulling a knife on someone who attacks me unarmed. That's absurd and not at all what I meant. Frankly, I'm surprised you'd suggest it given how left field that is and my previous discussions on these topics. I do everything I can to avoid any violence, even unarmed. I've had my fill in life and don't like paperwork or court dates.

I carry a knife for many reasons, the least of which is in case I face multiple attackers or someone with a weapon. This is more of an absolute last resort if everything else has gone wrong and I'm about to be killed or seriously maimed. I consider it no different from carrying a pistol on me, though much easier to tuck into my pocket and forget about.