What's wrong with MAP?

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by rex00, Apr 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. succubus

succubus so hot right now

high school physics:
    for every action, there is an equal, but opposite reaction.

hence, if site errors start occuring because of an overload on the server, people will be asked for money to buy a bigger server.

also, the amount of ridicule you're going to get will probably be equal to the level of retardation of your comment.

let's just wait and calculate how much of a fool you are, shall we?

*gets popcorn*

2. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Oh you are SOOOO harsh !!!!! but right !!!LOL!!! :D

3. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

heh heh, i made the same comments and i had my ass nicely toasted by a few flames and my ankles knawed on my AdMcg

i'll sit back and enjoy the fun from a spectator seat this time though :D

whats the subscription count up to now?

you need $1000 or £1000?

must be close by now?

4. AuntiePink

AuntiePink Naughty Member

LOL! Nice one, girl! :D

I'm a single parent of 3 and a student and I managed to find a bloody tenner. Keep your silly sob stories cos if you can afford to be online you can afford to donate a little, till then stop whining cos you get what you pay for!

5. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

im not being a bitch (you know i am when i start a sentence like that), but £10 is actually a lot of money for me at the moment. i have to spend the best part of £600 every month on course fees, another £30 on travel and i only work 2 days a week. this leaves me with approximately £60 for the month to spend on "myself" with which i have to run a girlfriend (loads of hidden charges) and pay for additional food stuffs and supplements.

i promise i'll pay come september when i start my new job but untill then i cant financially justify spending money on an internet forum.

6. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

dont try and use logic it doesnt wash here :D

i'm in the same boat, £10 can be used for better things... i've just stopped complaining and got on with it when the forum is not nipples vertical

7. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Here's a buck, go buy a clue. The activity on this site has increased dramatically over the last year. Since you don't know jack about what's going on behind the scenes with the multitude of server issues we've been having, how about you save the conspiracy theories for JFK, ok? And lest we forget, the server crashes started BEFORE we offered the MAP Supporting Members program. It was created to raise some cash so the site could upgrade the server. Now, since you had such a 'tude about it, you have three options:

1. Pony up the $14 American it will take to become a Supporting Member.
    2. Don't give any money; we'll get a new server when we have enough, but leave the bad ideas to Oliver Stone.
    3. Just go away.

Personally, I'm hoping for number three, myself. But I suspect you'll simply remain here and bitch. What a shame. :yeleyes:

For everyone:

This issue has been raised several times since we hit 20,000 members. PLEASE, for the love of God, STOP STARTING NEW THREADS ON THIS. Use the search function. Multiple threads on the same topic of "why is MAP not working" are only adding to the bandwith and server overloads!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
  8. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Oh look yet again we see you making massive assumptions about something you know very little of! :bang: :bang:

Apart from the increased membership here's some of the other culprits for the slow down! Which the Admins have been working very hard to sort out

Like Gangrel said go get a clue!

Attached Files:

9. Roual

Roual Eternally curious...

Woah, sorry dude, didn't realise you had a girlfriend, I know how they eat money :D

I didn't actually mean that post to sound as harsh as it did, I put it down to lack of sleep.

What I was trying to say was if you can't afford £10 now, then chuck a few coins in a pot every so often. You'll be supprised how soon it mounts up.

£600 a month on course fees? Surely thats a bit steep?

10. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

apparently a masters course with professional accreditation is pretty much a license to print money!

im on the MSc Real Estate and Management course at University of Central England. Course is £5500 for the year and it is paid in 8 installments with £1k up front = just over £560 a month. and i dont get a grant or loan because im postgraduate.

11. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Lonely??? :D

12. Lord Spooky

Not anymore she's not ;)

13. Sankaku-jime

Sankaku-jime Banned Banned

so whats the bottleneck here ?

mysql ?

14. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Map was probably done on a small server originally, and with the amount of info stored and users on here it gets clogged up, just like constipation, you just need fibre in this case 2 fibres to make a tenner!!!

15. Lord Spooky

Hey and where's your fivers????

Put that petrol money I gave you to good use :D :D

16. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Its sitting on the passenger seat, where it has been for the last week! :D

17. AuntiePink

AuntiePink Naughty Member

Not now I've got the private forum to keep me company... ;)

18. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Bottleneck I believe is the RAM in the server.

To those thinking its a conspiracy - I have been on MAP for around 2 1/2 years now and have put up with these "server too busy" screens a few times without the admins needing to introduce Subscribing Members.

The Admins have paid with their own cash, from their own pockets.

Do you want to pay for a server with your own cash? Not just the 10 quid, but the entire server price?

19. DarthSamurai

DarthSamurai Banned Banned

1. "for every action, there is an equal but opposite reaction" That's Newtons 3rd law. You would look more intelligent if you actually correctly referenced your material. Too bad.

2. This is not a conspiracy theory. Mearly pointing out that every other website on the planet seems to run just fine without cheaply begging it's membership for money. Why would I want to give MAP money, exactly? Because it's such a quality site? Because it runs so smoothly? heh, sorry but no. Dont blame me for pointing out that asking for money on an error message is pathetic.

3. You thik I care about being ridiculed by somebody like you? Dont make me laugh.

4. MAP is not even close to being the biggest martial arts website. Look at bullshido or sherdog, the number of people viewing their forums is twice what MAP gets. Yet MAP needs out help. Idiotic. I dont pay money to post on free websites. Let MAP save itself.

20. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Hmmm damn TOS I pretty much stay out of confrontations on here but...

The only person looking ridiclous here is yourself. If you don't want to donate, fine!, no one here is going to hold it against you and no one will think any less of you for not doing so.
    People however start to get peeved once you start whineing about the state of MAP, I myself and I'm sure every other person who actually appreciates MAP and its team, do not see the error message as 'cheap begging' just a mere suggestion you are shown to take or leave at your leisure.

To be perfectly honest I know that MAP needs financial backing to stay afloat and that we haven't reached the quota for that to be possible but I would quite happily make a donation that goes to the actual staff rather than the site, because if the majority of appreciation they are getting currently is emails and posts as to why the site is down and that they are begging money off members, then I think they may need it.

I think it's been covered by MAP staff that the reason they need funding is because they don't want adds emblazoned across every free inch of the site like other sites you have suggested and those sentiments are fine.

All in all if you think that the owners of MAP here are cheaply begging money of its members maybe you should go to one of the sites suggested and leave MAP to 'sponge of its members' if that is in fact your view point I'm sure you will be sorely missed.

Put up or shut up! Pure and simple.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.