what's up with the round knee in MT?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by d33pthought, Nov 28, 2004.

1. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

I downloaded an instructional video of rob kaman in an attempt to learn more about muay thai, and I am wondering why would a fighter use a round knee instead of a straight-in knee?

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

round knee is useful because you cant always get what you want. often in a clinch you will simply be too close to use a straight knee so you have to settle for a round knee. can still be quite painful. can also be useful if the other guy has a good defense to hit them round the side in an attempt to open them up

3. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

Cool thanks. I was thinking about it being necessary when really close in, but can't it be a good way to get swept? I guess if you think about it, nearly anything can be a good way to get swept if you're careless.

4. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

well yes, you can be swept. the idea is though that you arent just laying your hands on him and throwing the knee, you throw it when he is off balance. you have to make an opening for a knee in the same way you dont just throw someone in judo, but you have to break their balance and set them up for it.

5. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

oooh. I think I get it now. Thanks, dood. :D

6. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

the round knee is also used a lot more in a body clinch. straight knees are more difficult to get power on because you are so close. if you swing the knee round and lift your arm up to make way for it just before impact it is VERY painful, making contact with one of the lower ribs in a very delicate place. the body clinch and round knees arnt taught in the UK that often yet are really useful - especially when hardly anyone else uses them :D

7. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

Why don't they teach that much in the UK? You'd think it'd be a good move to learn.

8. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

They do. Every Thai gym I've trained in here in the UK has taught it.

9. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

i dont know mate but when i spar with people from other schools they dont seem to use it at all. just watch the thais fight and you'll see how much they use it in competition bouts. however we are talking about thai boxing competition here, it is rarely used in MMA competition because itleaves you open to so many takedowns due to your proximity to the opponent

10. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

people dont seem to use it though. just like they rarely use body clinching as much as they do neck clinching

11. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

Oh I see. Yeah, I can see how a close clinch and round knee can make you very open for a sweep, though in a purely thai context I can't see how someone would leave something like that out of the syllabus.

12. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Those round knee's can really do some damage. Especially if aimed at the floating rib.