What's the worst injury you've ever received?

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Ahmad89, Jul 27, 2009.

1. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

I tore my banjo string once.

2. Atre

Atre Valued Member

Got a gradeII tear to my PCL (Posterior Cruciate Ligament) on my first ski trip [ever] at Uni. Which translates as you still got a ligament, but only just pal...

Got it skiing literally 12 sec after getting off a ski lift and it hurt like the blazes, took about 5 min for me to get back up. Didn't think about it much at the time but I don't hurt easily, pain that kept me down must have been savage.

Saw SIX medical professionals in the order French ski doctor/French Physio/Physio at Uni/2nd Uni physio after 1st one took maternity leave/Home physio/Home knee surgeon. Every single one of the buggers till my home physio gave the wrong diagnosis!! They all said ACL tear - the gits.

When I was younger I mangled my foot getting tackled (football) and couldn't walk for 2 days (still can't curl toes as much on that foot).

Also stood on a drawing pin when I was 6, waiting in the wings for a school play (I was barefoot). Didn't even notice till I scratched the sole of my foot with a finger.

3. Silverado

Silverado Valued Member

Dislocated knee
    Torn rotator cuff
    Crushed soft tissue on shin
    Concussion
    Bruised ribs
    Ran thumb through table saw

All work related.

Torn hamstring training in TKD years ago

Broken small bones in foot snowboarding

4. Dao

Dao Valued Member

OUCH!

5. kennythai

kennythai New Member

I've had plenty of injuries over the years, but two stand out as the worst.

The 1st was when i was when i was 4. I was bitten by a dog as i played rugby with a friend on my estate. This was the first time i demonstrated my martial arts skills, as i kicked the mutt so hard in the nuts he jumped off me and ran off! I had 30+ stitches in my face and was lucky to still have my cheek.

The 2nd was when i was 14. I won't go into great details, but it was the first time i'd experimented with alcohol and it resulted in me snapping my humerous clean in half! Luckily i was so drunk it didn't hurt that much...until i sobered up in hospital! Worst pain i've EVER experienced.

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Broken right wrist playing softball. Still clicks and clunks even now.
    Massive gash over my left eye when a training partner and myself ended up doing rolling break falls in opposite directions. Cue the mother of all headbutts, copious bleeding from me an a delayed concussion for him.
    Cut down to the bone with a stanley knife over my right big toe when I was 10.
    Broken ribs after attempting a jumping kick, getting countered with a side kick, ending up horizontal about 5 foot in the air and falling in such a way as to land with my left elbow under me.

Overall I've been quite lucky.

7. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Day to day wise, I've gotten scraped, bashed, bruised, broken, and stitched all over the place. Several years in the military, two deployments, contact sports, and being an adventurous kid are all to blame for that. Worst one was when I almost severed my left pinky with a Ka-Bar when we were setting up concertina wire. I now affectionally call my finger "Frankenpinky."

Training-wise, my worst boxing injury was the first time I broke my nose. Scared the heck out of me, but in the long run not a big deal. Kyokushin-wise, I was doing the kumite portion of my test where that particular one was either 15 or 20 minutes of nonstop fighting, every 2 minutes throwing in a fresh opponent. One of the other students I train with is a big guy, and he smashed me hard on my xyphoid process with a ****a tsuki (basically an uppercut). I was fine then, but later on on the drive home I felt it pop out of place. Put me down for a day or two until the doc nudged it back into place.

8. Azubaz

Azubaz Valued Member

kicked in the nuts, falling when skiing hitting my breath out so I went unconscious, uhm.. kinda "knee'ed" the floor (really hard floor :p) so I passed out from the pain I guess (woke up with a big bump in my head).
    was holding my hand on some wall, and a big metal pipe landed on my pointing finger so it got twice as big.
    landed a bit wrong on a trampoline so my knee went the wrong way or something, hurted like hell, and could not train normally for 3 months (even though the doc didn't find anything wrong :/)

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Broken nose (seven times), broken ribs (twice), ruptured knee ligaments (three times), dislocated hips (twice), fractured pelvis, a dislocated ankle, femoral and tibial stress fractures, a torn biceps tendon (twice), shin splints, crushed cartilage, bruised vertebrae, concussion, and too many strained muscles to count.

10. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Crushed disc L5-S1 & fractured coccyx, both shoulders dislocated four times each, hyper extended elbows, broken knuckles, dislocated knee with torn tendon, ruptured testicle, broken nose twice, dislocated jaw, fractured skull, fractured eye orbit, broken fingers, dislocated thumbs and broken teeth.

I'm still recovering from the L5-S1 disc rupture. The coccyx healed up about 8 months ago. This has to be by far the worst and most annoying bloody pain experienced, since it's a nag that doesn't go away. I almost lost all of my flexibility, since the disc impinges on the nerve stem and prevents certain movements.

11. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Cracked rib from a mountain bike crash
    Dislocated knee joint

12. TRK

TRK Valued Member

Broke my nose twice as a kid playing baseball.

I'd say my worst injury was a separated shoulder from a bad highfall in Aikido. It is how I learned to be careful about instructors. I am lucky I didn't break my neck, as I landed on the mat basically right on the point of my shoulder. I finished the class and realized something was wrong when I couldn't put my shirt on when I changed. That shoulder is still not quite right.

13. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

The usual karate injuries. Broken fingers and toes and ribs. Bet Llamageddon's had the same ones.

14. Dizzyj

Dizzyj Valued Member

I tore a ligament in my ankle when I mis-stepped during boxing-style sparring. I kept fighting and walked home, only realizing when come midnight I couldn't move that I'd done something bad! Took me out of training for a month that one...

15. 23197

23197 Valued Member

three injuries but will only say the worse one(s) from a car wreck almost killed me. No further comment on that-bad memories.

As a youth I went thru a glass door (running) right arm extended outwards (door failed to spring open) and when I found myself on the other side of the shattered glass I had a cut under my right arm that required 10 stitches to close. Bled real bad & way too much. Real cool looking scar though...

Fast forward a year and a half ago in the ring I snapped my forearm blocking a round kick. Never out of the fight I refused to let my opponent know I was hurt & lying to myself that the arm was only bruised I punched him square in the chest & decided at that point-yup-it's broken. :jawdrop:
    ended up re-breaking it 2 months later in another match (not totally healed-duh) :bang:

Thats enuf of that stuff.

16. 23197

23197 Valued Member

LMAO good one.

17. 23197

23197 Valued Member

U got lucky with that xyphoid hit-that thing breaks off and u got a slight prob brother.

18. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

complete achilles tendon rupture. Been 6 months and I still walk with a limp, can't balance on my right leg and have a noticeable deformity of the right calf. Not to mention the constant pain.

19. forero

forero Valued Member

Had my head slammed in a cardoor twice, by my mother.

20. redsonjia

redsonjia Valued Member

( age 11) I fell at Mc Donalds in a man..or should i say kid made hole ( kids pick the foam) It didnt really break my ankle as much as cracked and messed up my tendons. Then at 13-14 had surgery for flat feet and bunions ^^;