What's the rank of your shihan?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Chris.B, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Chris.B

Chris.B New Member

I just wanted to know what level your master of your styles rank is. I know they are usually 10th dan, but my shihan refuses to go higher then 8 for now. So the highest rank we have in our entire style is 8th, but it can go up to 10. So I was just wondering what dan your evil shihans are.

2. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

Our master is an 8th degree black belt in Hapkido, and a 5th degree in Taekwondo. I've heard of a 9th degree black belt somewhere, but I would guess once you get up to that level its more a formality than anything.

I don't think my master is evil, he seems like a nice guy :D :p

Last edited: Mar 17, 2004
  3. Tireces

Tireces New Member

Supreme 10th level chinese boxer.

4. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

I think politics plays a large part in high Dan grades.

In my style there are only 7 grades and no Dan - equivalent grades.

5. Covaliufan

Covaliufan Valued Member

My instructors are purple belts in bjj directly under Renzo Gracie. I'm not sure what exact level of black belt Renzo has been given or given himself. I don't particularly care.

6. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

My instructor just got his 9th Dan in Korea over the summer. He says he also took Hap Ki Do for a while. Not sure how long though.

PL

7. Chris.B

Chris.B New Member

That's what he want you to think...it's a shihan secret...when they get into a fight they turn evil and destroy people, but they go back to being nice again after they finish.

8. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

The following is a big generalisation, but the title will depend on the style of MA, and the organisation they are under as to what they get called in relation to their grade

Sempai 1-3rd Dan
    Sensei 3rd-5th
    Shihan 5th and above, up to 6/7th

In our style, the head guy is a 9th Dan, and is known by the Title Hanshi

9. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

5th Dan, its as high as we go.

Col

10. Li Nan-Lung

Li Nan-Lung New Member

Our Style: Hung Fut

• Dai Sifu Tsui-Po (Pier) doesn't have anything listed on the website. He specializes in Dim Mak courses and TCM now. So no idea on his ranking.
    • Si Gung Tsui-Po (Richard) is 7th Degree Gold Belt Senior Master.
    • Sifu Kiat (Steeve) is 5th Degree Gold Belt Master, but he also has a Advanced Certificate Southern Style Kung Fu (From Beijing University of Physical Education).

11. dragon_bunny

dragon_bunny Valued Member

umm.. he's not my sensi but there's a guy who comes to my dojo to guest teach and he's a 7th dan technicallly but only says he's a 6th. He was at an award dinner and they sprung the 7th dan on him but he says he doesn't think he earnt it so it doesn't count!

12. heat1012000

heat1012000 New Member

level

My sensei is 3rd degree black belt at lau gar but is imense in everything that he does

13. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Our masteri s a 9th degree BB, our school instructor/owner is a 5th degree, our lead instructor is a 3rd degree. I agree with one of the above posters, I think after 5th degree, its mostly politics involved in advancing. I'd like to hear Kickchicks opinion on this.

14. Scaramouch

Scaramouch Lost Soul

Shihan originates from the Japanese for "master" or "founder" so presumably you would associate someone with this title as being the head of a particular Japanese-based MA association.

From what I have picked up from my experience in Japanese TMA, the rank of 5th dan tends to be based on ability and has a technical syllabus. Whilst the ranks above tend not to have a syllabus but rather they are more political, in terms of showing seniority (often just comes down to "length of service") within a particular TMA assocation - with the Shihan being the most senior rank (usually 8th, 9th or more rarely 10th dan). Sometimes these ranks are awarded postumously.

At the end of the day if your Shihan is technically competent and a good instructor I wouldn't get too hung up on whether he is 5th or 10th dan.

15. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

My "shihan" is 7th dan. Mitsugi Saotome. But he lives in another State.
    The chief instructor at my school is 6th dan, and the #2 instructor is 5th dan.
    I suppose the global head of my organization, the "doshu," is 10th dan, but I never thought about it until now.

16. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

federation shihan is 6th dan karate, 8th dan ju-jitsu, 4th dan judo, 3rd dan kobudo, 1st dan iaido, 1st dan aiki-jutsu, 1st dan jodo, 1st dan aikido

club shihan is 5th dan karate

17. kerling

kerling Hidden haito style

Kgirl

When you have 5th dan teaching do you kall him shihan in the dojo or sensei?

In shotokan we are not custom to talk about someone as shihan. Always sensei..

Regards Kerling

18. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I think shihan is a title only used in the 3rd person. So you could talk about shihan as a person, but you would address him as sensei still.

19. Chris.B

Chris.B New Member

I would think the only thing close to an exeption of calling your shihan a sensai is if he's personaly teaching you, but I think we always call him shihan. Since, he's higher then the teachers and can beat them all down. Not to mension it's his...he's the presedent of the groupe or...the biggest guy in the grope. You know

20. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

My current instructors both have very similar belts - they're kinda brown leather with a brass buckle.