What’s the going rate for private lessons?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Monkey_Magic, Sep 9, 2018.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

That's why he said that he has done quid pro quo for private instruction.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

How?You are saying it's not true that there are always areas where income is spent on a relative frivolity? If that's your claim I call "bollocks" on it

Yeah - like the fact they don't value the instructors time enough

If you are at that level then you don't do bloody private lessons at 30 quid either do you? Ridiculous argument

You stick to classes or else forgo unnecessary expenses until you can afford things or else you have income support programs such as KidSport or BudoYouth fund help out for training costs

3. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

My school includes a half hour private lesson as part of our set up. Every member gets that. Everyone has some one on one time where the instructor works specifically with your needs and level of understanding. I have the membership where I get two half hour lessons a week. I use one for CLF and one for TCC.

I can't tell you what that specifically costs, because also included are a huge variety of various classes. Group classes, kicking group classes, bag workout/ calisthenics classes, sparring, stick fighting, grappling classes. stretching classes, etc. There is no membership where you only do group classes. Our school is also open long hours, so the membership includes being able to come to the school during any of that time and working out. Using the bags, and other equipment. During that workout time, one can also approach any instructor not in a lesson and ask for individual help if stuck. I think you have to have the membership with the extra lesson to go to the TCC group class (if a CLF only student) and the weapon forms class.

The membership rates vary, depending on how many private lessons a month you want. So, you can pick between one private lesson a month up to 8. But even if you pick the once a month membership, included is all the access to the open hours and most of the classes.

I don't know the exact varying rates, but is is somewhere in the $129 to $300 range per month last I heard. For me, I have the most expensive membership. If I broke that down to the other rates I see being charged by say, Hannibal, I am paying less than what he would charge for the same amount of private lessons and getting the other stuff with that.

It isn't cheap. It isn't the school for someone who wants to come to a class or two a week only. But if you avail yourself to all that it offers, I consider it a darn good value. I am not rich. I make sacrifices to afford it. But I figure I can save and enjoy an exotic vacation once a year, or enjoy being there 12-15 hours a week for the money I spend. Hmm, let's see, If I take $300.00 and divide it by the lesser time I spend there per week x4. I am spending $6.25 and hour there. That pays for the overhead for a full time school and the staff. Plus I am sure they have insurance costs.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    Hannibal likes this.
  4. Hannibal

Your class rates are more expensive than mine - mine range from $80 - $170 for adult programs and $46 - $115 for kids. Kids privates are $35 for a half hr or $70 for the full

In USD (versus CAD) that would be $61 - $130 for classes and $75 for privates (adults) and $34 - $87 for classes and $26/$52 privates (kids)

Make that GBP and it becomes 47 - 100 and 59 (adult classes/privates) and 27 - 68 and 21/41 (kid classes privates)

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I think that anywhere between £30-£100 is fine.

Like others have said, private lessons vary because of instructor/art/location.

For instance I could pay £20-60 for a private kickboxing class in Edinburgh and that guy probably wouldn't be much better than me.

I could go to Thailand and pay £10 for an hour with a world class Muay Thai Lumpinee champion.

I would also say that it depends on who is teaching the lesson. Personally I'm very fortunate and my instructor is a multiple time BJJ world champion so if I wanted a private lesson it would be well worth my time.

On the flipside I know of other instructors who charge a similar rate and they don't have those credentials and I absolutely wouldn't pay for it.

Like everything, if you're smart, you'll get what you pay for.

Thomas and Dunc like this.
  6. aaradia

Well the thing is you can't separate the class rates like that. Because individual instruction at some level is included with every membership. And every membership - even the once a month private lesson membership, which is a lot less then my membership, still includes access to the vast majority of group classes.

If you charge $100.00 an hour for purely private lessons then that is $400.00 a month. The same time amount of private lessons that I pay for is $300.00 a month. But I get all access to all classes included in that. this is what I was basing what I said on. I am quite sure you are worth paying that rate for, btw.

Is your charge for a private lesson on top of the class rates? Or are class rates included in that $100.00 per lesson? Just curious.

I could be off too. Math is NOT my strength. There is a reason my career is in literature and not math!

7. Hannibal

Privates are always separate - I do occasional "gimmes" as a signing bonus, but no I have a limited time available to me so cannot give them away.

I wasn't suggesting that the rates are comparable in terms of what you get for it, merely that the costing is not dollar for dollar (or pound)

I have no forms or patterns to work with so every lesson privately is to work on specific aspects of how someone does techniques and is pretty intensive because of that.

axelb likes this.
  8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Save up.

Do a private every three months. As Hannibal and myself have told you, you get a programme specifically designed for you, so you'll have plenty of time between private sessions to improve and practice the homework.

My privates? We'll I'm saving to go to Canada, so your £70 is peanuts, as I want to go at least once a year.

axelb, Thomas and Hannibal like this.
  9. Hannibal

Simon has had “virtual” privates with me - he seemed quite pleased so imagine if I am there what you get

Frankly what I offer is worth easily what I charge if you break it down to what I paid to get it and what it means moving forward for you as a practitioner but if you don’t want to pay then the classes are just peachy too

10. Bruised Lee

Bruised Lee Valued Member

I only train privately due to my shift times and family. I don't spend uneccessarily and certainly don't waste money. If I had to pay more than the typical going rate near me of around 30 quid an hour I couldn't train. I would think anybody charging in excess of this probably doesn't teach many privates regardless of what they're worth.

Yes, all considered teachers should charge more but where I'm based they wouldn't have many bookings

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  11. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

A little more about what some instructors give.

I will occasionally shoot a 30 second clip from class asking Hannibal about a certain point.

He'll stop what he is doing (he works from home) and will shoot a 30 second reply, even while wearing a shirt and tie) and taking into account the time difference between us.

Like I said, it's there for those that want it.

It's Sunday and I am working on my website.

I'm also doing homework set by my instructor (Hannibal).

I'm also giving feedback on self defence videos in an attempt to increase my understanding.

Yesterday I was training all day at a reality based self defence session. That was a 140 mile round trip. Take into account food and drink, fuel and my time.

Wonder if the next student will take that into account when asking how much privates are?

axelb, aaradia and Hannibal like this.
  12. Hannibal

Market dictates price but if price is the only factor in who you train with you could just do aerobics

I offer a Ferrari package and am not charging Ford prices just to sell more :)

13. aaradia

You sort of come across like you feel all people are entitled to private lessons at the rate you feel one can afford to pay.

Obviously, someone struggling to make ends meet would prioritize food and clothing over any hobby, and especially private lessons in any hobby.

Group classes at a cheaper rate are a viable alternative.

But there are many people who complain about prices of MA training and CAN afford it, but choose other priorities. Concerts, Starbucks, eating out, clubbing, and other hobbies. Years ago on another forum, one teenage guy complained he couldn't afford MA training. It was so unfair. Turned out he had a lot of expensive DJ equipment. He could afford classes, but he chose to invest money in other things. There have been others like him over the years. Choosing other things is fine, but choosing them and then complaining you can't afford MA training on top of your other choices is stupid.

You don't go to someone in any profession and tell them what they should charge you based on what you think they should charge. If someone isn't worth it, they will drop their rates or go out of business. If they are worth it, don't be upset because everyone can't afford it.

My school has been in business for over 30 years or so. In a big city with TONS of choices- including gyms that train MMA, which is very popular now. And some of those MMA gyms have professional UFC fighters. Yet my school is still here. Apparently, others think the cost is well worth it too.

I was struggling to afford my membership a few years ago. I could have dropped the level of membership, but I didn't want to. I got a one night a week second job for a couple of years. I don't need to do that now.

Dead_pool and Hannibal like this.
  14. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I'm actually a bit surprised here, to be honest.

Yes, I'm sure the prices for private lessons are fair - and I mean that.

But nearly attacking a person here, because he thinks the rates are too high seems rather cheap.

Same with the slightly condescending: 'Well, if you're only a hobbyist I wouldn't teach you anyway' like-wave.

For example: Personally I take my training really serious.
    I train five days/ week; with any luck six soon; plus seminars.
    I also train kids, because I already couldn't afford the club membership: I agreed to assist training the kids and don't have to pay any money. Great deal for me and the only way I could regularly train at a club, that would cost me 25€/ months.

And now, sorry but, you guys come across, saying: 'Well, you don't take your training serious, if your neither willing nor able to pay our rates'?
    Honestly, that sucks.

There is no way, I could afford that just like that.
    I also could never afford Canada, never mind for training or vacation; I can't really afford any vacation.
    No matter, if I save up - I'd be saving for years, for the latter.
    I had to save a lot for MAP meet* and I only had to pay the flight, because some people here were incredibly generous.

*and I'm not sure I would have come, if comments like that would stand alone here (without other posts of the posters, that put them into perspective; I hopd, it's understandable what I'm trying to say)

Do I get a video game or a book all now and then? - Yes.
    But I don't smoke, don't drink, don't party, pretty much do nothing, that costs money.
    I cannot only to MA and nothing else to have a change in life.

So, yes, I do think, that income a person has, should be allowed to play into the personal statement: That's a hell lot of money, without that person getting treated condescending or like second-class-martial artist.
    That doesn't change, that I understand why the lessons have the price they do, don't get me wrong.
    But I'm still a but baffled by the form of some responses.

Anwolf and Monkey_Magic like this.
  15. David Harrison

That sets you apart from someone who just dabbles and wouldn't practice what is taught to them.

You found a way around your financial limitations with a quid pro quo. You are willing to go the extra mile in order to achieve your goals.

I really doubt the "hobbyist" remark was aimed at people who show the level of dedication to training that you do.

16. icefield

icefield Valued Member

You can look at it two ways
    1) people paid a lot of money for what they learned and value their personal time higher
    2) they have an inflated self worth its a buyers market if you don't agree with how they price their time don't pay.

But I agree there's a fair bit of passive aggressiveness here.

I have spent thousands learning both martial arts and powerlifting from lineage holders, ufc coaches world champions and I don't teach it personal to me,however I'm happy to give a free hour to a friend or someone interested in learning either as it's how my main kung fu teacher and powerlifting coaches have always been.

Look at the person teaching their qualifications and experience and decide if its worth paying

17. David Harrison

Maybe resentment at giving away time to people who talk an enthusiastic game but flake out because they haven't actually invested anything in it?

If you've got a personal relationship with your instructor then that is case-by-case. I was talking about approaching someone running a coaching business without a prior relationship.

18. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Actually the club did that even.
    I would have never dared to even think something like that.

I think I'm mainly lucky:
    I have passionate teachers, that would encourage and foster(??? is that the correct term???) me and help me out, without getting anything from it, aside from dragging me along.
    Plus: I realized, I really like teaching and I think I have that from my teachers as well; the way they treated me.

But they put so much work into me, aside from training, that reading the posts here, I get the feeling I would have had to pay them for it.

I'm not sure about the term, to be honest.
    I don't live from MA, so I'm not a professional.
    Is there something else then a hobbyist then?

And on a sidenote: I deliberately took my personal situation for it, as I can't talk for anyone else, obviously.

EDIT: Plus: I still think the rates are probably fair (I could only compare them with rates here, same with monthly prices. From my perspective they are ridiculous at times, because I'm used to our clubs ( as in "Vereinswesen"/ e.V.), so that's not my point.
    After all, it's their job and they live from it.

David Harrison likes this.
  19. David Harrison

Again, your situation sounds different from phoning up an instructor you don't know and asking for private tuition. It sounds like you started attending classes and then formed a relationship with your club whereby they wanted to help you out?

20. icefield

icefield Valued Member

But the same people are happy to give time away for here giving advice?

I know several professional teachers who won't charge that much not because they don't value what they learned but because they want to pass on what they know

Monkey_Magic likes this.