What’s the going rate for private lessons?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Monkey_Magic, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

What’s a typical hourly cost of private lessons?

I realise this probably varies by geography. I’m in the UK.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

It depends on the art, and the instructor/area, in BJJ, blackebelts can charge 120 pound an hour, but generally they discount that heavily for team members, id say 20/40 pound an hour for team members for a purple/brown belt is the going rate.

Thomas likes this.
  3. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Most private lessons I've had have been in the region of around £30.

Thomas, EdiSco and Monkey_Magic like this.
  4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Most instructors undersell themselves.

In the UK they should be charging a minimum of £70 to £80 per hour, but many don't.

5. Monkey_Magic

£30 per hour seems reasonable.

£70 per hour seems crazy! Perhaps that’s OK if clients are wealthy investment bankers.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    Thomas likes this.
  6. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

If it is how they earn their living, and they could be teaching a class of 15 people all paying £10, then I don't see it as unreasonable.

Thomas and Simon like this.
  7. Simon

It's far from crazy.

It is crazy people don't see the value.

You don't get a one hour lesson one on one with the instructor.

You do get a one on one with a programme specifically tailored to your needs.

You do get work to take away that will raise you to the next level.

That work again is tailored specifically to you, not a group in a class.

That work was started way before you turned up for the lesson.

Q. Why aren't you as good as your instructor?

A. You don't work as hard as he/she does.

A. You don't put yourself out as much as he/she does.

A. You don't spend the time and money on the private training he/she does.

A. You don't invest in loss like he/she does.

I could go on.

Do you want it or not?

There is so much more on offer than that which you see in class, but you have to ask for it.

Instructors will give a lot, but not if the student doesn't show willing.

£70 -£80 is a fair price.

What students do though is think, "£80 x 5 sessions per day, 5 days per week is a total of £2,000 per week. That's a month's money in one week.

The truth however is very different.

For example yesterday I attended a SIM Day hosted by John Titchen.

There were 10 attendees, so the cost x 10.

"That's not bad money", thinks the student, but take into account travel, venue hire and the fact he will spend the entire day today washing and possibly undertaking repairs to 10 sets of very expensive armour and you already half yesterday's income.

axelb, Thomas, Hannibal and 1 other person like this.
  8. Simon

Very good point.

9. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'm with Simon on this--there is no way, unless the trainer is financially independent and doing this for fun/giving to the community, that they are going to charge $20 or $30 for an hour lesson.
    I'm in the US, near Boston. I'd think someone either has no idea what they are doing, or are vastly underselling themselves if they offered private lessons (1 hour) for less than about $60, and I'd expect more like $90-$130, depending on qualifications.
    Tutors (for high school) around this area often charge $70+/hour, more if they have a PhD ($80, $90, $100/hour).
    I see a personal trainer once a week. He is very good and charges towards the top of the range at $85/hour. (Less qualified/less experienced trainers charge $60-$75/hour around here.)

Private training is expensive, and I don't think it would be sustainable for the trainer if they charged $20/$30 per hour.

Hannibal and David Harrison like this.
  10. David Harrison

Just another note on this.

It's not about how much the client earns, it's about how much the instructor's time and experience is worth, plus the cost of overheads.

If you call a plumber out you don't expect him to ask how much you earn before he writes out an invoice.

Some people do it on the cheap out of generosity, or as dead_pool says because it benefits the gym's competition record, but it should never be expected that an instructor should undersell themselves. It devalues the industry and makes it harder for people to make a living from running a MA business.

Thomas likes this.
  11. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

Were the instructors of good quality? £30 a lesson sounds like a very good deal! I couldn't afford any more than that but this is very reasonable for 1 hour.

Thomas likes this.
  12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Pending on client and instructor, the general average is between £30-50.

Remember, you get what you pay for. If driving lessons are about £25-30 and (not a knock on driving instructors) then how much are you willing to pay for your health, well being and combat ability.

In regards to geography, a mate of mine went to teach in Kuwait (personal trainer, weightlifter). He tried to charge £100 but he was in such a wealthy area, that if he didnt charge at least £200 per hour, he wouldnt be taken seriously enough.

Hannibal likes this.
  13. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Or if they actually take their training seriously

$100 gets you a one hour private with me - One hour with me I will give you fixes, improvements and a development plan for the aspect we are covering that will be tailored made for where you are at and where you are going - not cookie cutter, not just a workout, but a roadmap for improvement that is the difference between giving a fish and teaching you to fish

When I teach privates I am taking time away from myself, my family and my friends so to ensure I don't waste my private lesson time on hobbyists I don't charge hobbyist rates; class time is sufficient for those who just want it to be a pastime

Mushroom, axelb and Thomas like this.
  14. Monkey_Magic

I’d hate to define a hobbyist as someone who has a low income. Being able to afford $100/h shouldn’t define who takes their training seriously.

Actually, it’s very much about what’s affordable. An instructor may be outstanding, but that’s no good if people can’t pay his or her rates.

Value and salary aren’t the same thing: an investment banker probably gets paid ten times more than a cancer doctor. I know which profession I’d value more.

Incidentally, plumbers in wealthy parts of London (e.g. Pimlico Plumbers) are well known for charging higher prices than others.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  15. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Sorry for my ignorance, but I often wonder this. Is Britain on the pound? Or some type of E currency? If so, what is the name of the currency? I want to google what the value is in US dollars to understand the amounts being discussed here. Thanks!

16. Hannibal

The TRUE cost of nights out for boozy Brits – it’s more than you think

One night, zero meaning, no different than a million other wasted nights that blur into one....factor in all the other costs and you have one private every week at a rate of $100 a lesson; taking it just as the "night out" cost on average and you get a private once every 2 weeks

If you don;t have it immediately save up; sell stuff you don;t want...do odd jobs - do ANYTHING if that private is beyond your reach and you really need it. Ask if the instructor will quid pro quo you (I have done this for students)

If you only see the priceyou don;t see the value

axelb and Thomas like this.
  17. David Harrison

A dollar is 0.77 Great British Pounds according to google right now.

aaradia likes this.
  18. Hannibal

Yet I bet in that low income they waste money on things that they don't need - how many smoke, drink, play video games, have a smart phone....

i gave a plethora of options above for ways around out and context beyond costing - it's not the money it's how important it is to you; if you don;t value my time you don;t get it - stick to class time, practice and save for that private.

Thomas likes this.
  19. David Harrison

I'm talking as someone who gives away their time for a handful of beans, but I'm not trying to earn a living from MA, and I don't teach randomers off the street.

But if you want people to be able to earn a living as a professional instructor, hence generally raising standards of instruction, then they have to earn a professional wage.

If instructors are passionate about what they do, they would teach people for free every day. Unfortunately they can't do that and keep a roof over their head.

Thomas likes this.
  20. Monkey_Magic

That’s quite a stereotype!

There are many reasons why a student could struggle to afford high-priced lessons.

In a family, for example, one person might have to negotiate with their spouse about the cost of martial arts versus food and clothing for their children.