whats the best weapon to use in a fight?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Levi, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

*looks innocent*

2. Getalifebud

Getalifebud Valued Member

I think that if any melee weapon were allowed nunchucks would be damn effective, most people cant take the pain these dish out when used with a small amount of skill, also they are extremely fast and hard to defend against.

3. Levi

Levi New Member

i would use a walking cane, but i'm 15

4. Martial One

Martial One Martial Way student

a modified stun batan, get a permit though...

5. CrimsonDemon

CrimsonDemon Valued Member

I'm 18, doesn't mean I can't carry one. Besides, it's not like you need to carry a slip of paper around saying you are permitted to go anywhere with a cane; it's just courtesy no one else asks.

6. Levi

Levi New Member

i bidded on one off ebay.
    they are cheap on there!

7. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

if you're trained to use a cain, like in many Kung-fu styles, Hapkido & other Martial Arts, you can keep a can in the trunk of your car, or under your carseat :D . that's what one of my friends did :D the cops wouldn't bust you for carrying it cause u can say that you hurt your leg & need a cane to get around, or lie that you have arthritis :D

8. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

Too bad you're the most likely victim! I'm only referring to a EMA-trainer that is a bit sadistic. He once told me that when he wants to have fun, he spars with one of his (fresh) students, letting the student having a nunchaku :Angel: Then he steps back and watch the fun when the student tries to do somtning with the thingie ;)

I'm not tryint to pick a fight here, but what's all this fuss about an agricultural tool like the nunchaku? We have them twohanded in Norway as well, but here they're only associated with backwater-farming.

Not only does it seem inefficient to me, it seems very, very difficult to use efficiently as well...

I guess that if you know how to use it, it would be pretty effective, but an inexperienced guy with a 4 fot staff is probably going to kick ass vs. an inexperienced guy with a nunchaku?

9. jome

jome New Member

we have GUNS here, so why settle for anything less?

Unless you are a felon, it is just as big a crime to carry any other sort of weapon as a gun, and one and all, the other weapons are VERY inferior to a decent pistol, hands down. Something like a Kahr PM 9 can offer you real power, while being very controlable in rapidfire, while weighing only 15 ozs and being less than 6" long.

Such a gun can be rechambered to the 356 TSW cartridge, loaded with a 55 gr prefrag bullet, at 2200 fps, for 600 ft lbs of power. That's about 3x the power offered by a .38 snub, and the Kahr lays very "flat" in a front pants pocket holster. The holster should be made of Kydex plastic, with velcro securing it in the pocket. With such a rig, you can discretely have your hand in your pocket, and be able to respond in 1/4 second to any threat, with decisive power, against several attackers if need be. Normally, just showing them your gun, your decisive demeanor, and a realistic firing stance will make attackers go bother somebody else. I"ve had a man at gunpoint 4 different times, and none of them wanted any more. I would have emptied the magazine into them if any one of them had taken 1 more step in my direction.

10. chrispy

chrispy The Hunter

God Bless America - where anyone can own a gun

NOT

http://www.kontraband.com/show/show.asp?ID=2200

11. Cudgel

because guns can jam and a jammed gun is worse than a dull knife.
    Also some of us would rather not go through the rigamoral of to obtain a firearm and then a ccw, which may not work the next state or even coutny over. I ahve no problems with responsible poepl carrying a firearm for selfdefence but I dont want to go trough the time and money to get a weapon that will require yet more time and money to become adequately trained in its use under a situation of stress and violence. Il stick with easy to obtain and legal to carry conceal tactical folders.

12. Stolenbjorn

Allso remember that many of us on this forum are lucky enough not to live in USA, where bush wants people the right to shoot first and ask questions later, why bother watching weastern-movies anymore, just plug on to a web-cam of an averidge american city-by-night, and watch the "fun" :bang:

-sorry, my point was that in Norway for instance, people are not allowed to carry a gun. So here your otherwise efficient suggestion isn't valid.

There's allso the fact that shooting isn't as easy as one might think; there are several examples of people missing at point blank.

And finally theres the experience-aspects. Personally, I study a tradition from when firearms were cruel metal tubes fired with a fuse, and I find Fiore di LIberi's dagger and longswordsystem more graceful than the other Martial art I've studied for 3 years; the norwegian armys G3 rifle-drills ;) My pistol skills are not very impressive (missing man sized figured at 15 feet range :eek: ) So allthough a pistol might do it for you, I'd rather go for breaking of arms and necks -like Fiore, since that's what I know best.

But apart from all I've written so far... When reading the question in this thread; the most efficient weapon, meaning the best mix of deterrent, handeling, bulk, size, skills required to use it, etc, and leaving legality out of it, I think you've come up with the winner!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2005
  13. jome

jome New Member

I had a Norweigan buddy shooting with me

at the 1979 World IPSC Combat pistol champs, in Roodesport, S. Africa. Man, you get that gun out and "on" a guy, 10 to 1 odds he is going to do nothing but run from you. I've had men at gunpoint 4x, and none of them had any doubt that they were 1/2 second from being very dead. Guns are also useful against dogs and other animals, knives aint worth a crap. I"ll take a good walking stick against 2-3 clowns with folding knives, ANY day.

14. jome

jome New Member

your ignorance is showing. Decent guns don't malfunction.

I once put 24,000 rds of .45 reloads thru a Colt 1911 in 6 weeks. I cleaned it 8 times, 2 of which I wouldn't have bothered with, but somebody wanted to learn how. Not a single malfunction related to the gun. I did have a couple of old magazines fall apart, tho. See, intelligent men do 90% of their practicing with a spare gun, just like the one that they carry.

15. jome

jome New Member

some guys have balls, others are wussies.

I started carrying my 1911 when I was 16, and have not been without one for decades now. That includes in LA, Chicago, NYC, and a lot of other places where you in theory have no Second Amendment Rights. Anyone who thinks I"m waiting around for the cops is nuts (after I have to use a gun).

16. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Jome - couldnt you have just put all of them in one post?

17. Cudgel

Jome jsut exactly are thining you are going to acomplish? IN case you havent noticed by now, no one is relaly impressed that you have a gun and use one for self defence. So do a few otehr forumites here but you dont see them going on and on about how great guns are.

18. Drunken Miss Ho

Drunken Miss Ho New Member

What about pepper spray? If you can spray them and run so you don't wind up choking as well. What makes me crazy is it's illegal to buy mace in the US but guns are fine. And brass knuckles and those gougy key chain things are illegal too, if you're caught carrying them it's serious jail time. But any moron can get a gun. This has to be the stupidest logic ever. And Jome, I hope you don't let your kids anywhere near that thing, I think guns kill far more toddlers than muggers these days.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  19. Trinity

Trinity New Member

A pen is great you can use it like a spike or a kobutan. Not sure of the laws but it works great.

20. Stolenbjorn

Jome; I think you're right; a pistoli is very efficient, and that's what this thread is all about. BUT this is a martial art-forum, and allthough pedantic dictionarians could argument that gun-use is a martial art, guns are usually left outside the definition and therefore the discussion.

I fired some 30 000 rounds with my 7.62NATO G-3-rifle during my time in the army, and it's really impressive. It can do things that a knife never will be able to do (+some of the things a knife can do, as it is equipped with a bayonette...) -Like shoothing through 40cm thick trees, hitting targets up to 400 meters away (one stray bullet actually killed a man in a car 2km away from a shooting range; talk about unlucky...)

But the point is that most of us want to discuss melee-weapons, as that's what is why we are on MAP-forum. There are probably plenty of forums that covers missile-weapons.

I bet that I'd beat you and your pistol with my CV-90 APC armed with an electrically driven Bushmaster 30mm machinecannon, as it's placed on a gyrostabilized platform, have thermographic sights and shoot 2 rounds pr. second of either APFSDS or MP -ammo ;)