What's the best way to get out of a slugger when he's on top?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by glenchuy, Sep 25, 2004.

1. glenchuy

glenchuy has two left feet

i have backgrounds in TKD and KB, and to some extent, arnis (although that doesn't help much) during MMA spars, i can take out those of my same weight division, who do judo, TKD, KB, and even to some extent BJJ as i studied some basic ways to get out of the basic submission moves just for those- but the one thing which i can't seem to get out of, are those who slug it out ala tito ortiz. when they get close and take me down, wham. the punching never stops, and it's all over- obviously, the best way to avoid those, is to keep moving and not get thrown to the ground in the first place, but that's not always possible.

rolling doesn't work, and unlike submission holds where one tries to outhink the other by planning ahead, i don't have time to think here (starts throwing wild punches- don't have time to think and do anything else but block!!), as the one on top obviously already has the advantage- any tricks i can learn to get out of it? even simple arm locks or such- keeping his legs wrapped and his body close to me so he can't land a punch doesn't seem to work, or am i just doing the darn thing wrongly?

obvious rules apply like no kicking on the groin- no elbows to the face too (yeah, wimpy) but knees are allowed, and no kicking at the back of the head (crescent kick to the head not allowed).

2. Adam

Adam New Member