What's the best art over all .....would you say these days best for mma as a whole

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by shotokanAikiJujistu, Feb 6, 2019.

1. shotokanAikiJujistu

shotokanAikiJujistu New Member

No answer is wrong my friends

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Best for what?

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If your talking which non mma (Thai, boxing, wrestling and bjj) art is best for MMA, then it's combat sambo. Because it's MMA in a Gi.

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I feel my kungfu giving me "mah po" stance is great when having to use public loos.

Mitch, ned, pgsmith and 4 others like this.
  5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Hmm. You make a good point there, Mushroom.

6. shotokanAikiJujistu

all nonsense aside not many know about budo or krav magav or luta livre and lethwei or even judo seems to be one many have been good at in mma and lets not forget the old art of shooto karate or combat karate all u guys got is bjj mt kb wrestling judo boxing

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2019
  7. Mushroom

Bas Rutten
    Wonderboy
    Machidas
    GSP
    Venom Paige

axelb likes this.
  8. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Aside from the forbidden cursing - what about punctuation?
    I can't even be bothered to try yet again to read it again.

9. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

I’ve trained in Krav Maga and reckon it would be a poor choice for MMA.

10. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

The good thing, at least here, it does not claim to be for MMA anyway.
    Honestly, I'm not even sure why to name KM in redards to MMA.
    Not a big fan of it (KM) either way, but to each his own.

11. Monkey_Magic

I wonder if Bas Rutten prompted the link between Krav Maga and MMA???

I think Krav suffers from variable quality: an Israeli-trained instructor from a reputable KM organisation should be very good.

Unfortunately, Krav was plagued by a number of “become an instructor in 3 days” courses (e.g. Combat Krav Maga). This was compounded by some of the KM organisations splintering: with such fragmented organisations, there was inconsistent quality control.

shotokanAikiJujistu likes this.
  12. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod Note: Shotokonaikijujitsu, Welcome to MAP. Please note that profanity, including masked with initials is not allowed. Please make your point with out it. Thanks:)

shotokanAikiJujistu likes this.
  13. shotokanAikiJujistu

Sorry from the bad abbreviation, but I do think there are many martial arts we have not seen or seen much of in mma . Surely that I think could work with the right guy representing the arts hapkido is another cool art and how about eskerma not sure I'm spelt that right its the Filipino art or even jkd possibly!

14. Mushroom

Remember when everyone, including JoRo. Stating that TKD was rubbish for the Octagon?

And now you got Showtime, Bendo, K-Zombie and more emerging.
    Machida reminding there's been Karate types in MMA. Even Matt "The Immortal" Brown identifies as a San Shou guy.

axelb likes this.
  15. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Are they really showing the arts are useful though in mma or that some of the techniques are useful with extensive training in other arts for certain people with top of the line athletic abilities?

Only thing I see being hit from tkd regularly is the front leg turning kick and lead lrg side kick that's hardly an endorsement of the whole art is it?

16. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

And who is actually coaching them for competition, and what is their methodology? I'm guessing it's not senseis and sifus doing it "old school" TMA fashion, but a similar coaching setup to every other professional fighter...

17. Monkey_Magic

With the right coaching/training methodology, I imagine TKD kicks could work well in full-contact competitions like MMA.

I’m not a TKD expert, but their kicks appear to have a lot of speed and power. The variety of kicks, and angles from which TKD players can throw kicks, looks valuable to me.

Shouldn’t San Shou be a great foundation for MMA? It’s full-contact with striking and takedowns, only lacking groundwork.

18. Mushroom

720' Turning Kick is most probably going to be a low(Zero) percentage success rate.

But those who are trained in it, adapted it to the ruleset and to their gameplan. Also gotta remember that these guys are at their highest ability in all the arts they trained in, to fight in MMA.

So no, not an endorsment of the art but also can't ignore the success they give when trained for a specific function.

19. Mushroom

It should be. Its essentially kickboxing with sweeps and trips. Again though, BJJ/CaCC/NoGi is not the greatest in China. (Although it is growing but still far behind)

axelb likes this.
  20. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

How many spins did MVP do on his first KO?