What's the arnis style and knife fighting style of Apo Mumbakki

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by narra, Mar 27, 2004.

1. FMA_Demon

FMA_Demon New Member

I totally agree with you FMA Demon, 90% of the time you cannot disarm a knife especially if the one using it is trained.

Then your buddy could be a part of the 10% survivors of what narra's been saying. Narra didn't say that "no one can" disarm. But faced with a real knife expert, (i used the word "real"), NOBODY CAN TAKE THE BLADE away from him WITHOUT DAMAGE.

2. master35

master35 New Member

we wish that we have always luck on our side as cops and hope that this ain't true.

3. FMA_Demon

FMA_Demon New Member

we wish that we have always luck on our side as cops and hope that this ain't true.

Master35, my friend,
    you have to face the fact that these are true statements. It is proven and has been discussed in Knife Seminars (Gun Show, SM Megamall, September 2003), and Knife shows.

Should you wish to see it to be convinced, PM me... I'll be glad to share with you the Deastructive Edge Weapon Tactics Formula

I'm glad that cops like you seek advice from FMAers. You are sure that you are not being mislead.

Judo versus knife attacks? it will not make sense.

4. master35

master35 New Member

i hope as leo the "NOBODY CAN TAKE THE BLADE away from him WITHOUT DAMAGE." phrase is not true.

5. xLJx

xLJx New Member

another question about the Mumbakki: does he own those stalls named "al-Jamia(?) by Mumbakki" which sell bladed weapons and other accessories, found on some malls like Robinson's?

6. shootodog

shootodog restless native

alkimia by the mumbakki. 4 stores in the metro area. 1 in baguio. and two other stores out of town (i forget where).

7. stickfan1

stickfan1 New Member

I noticed that that because of the lack of popularity of FMA due to the common perception that its just a stick art (and in part due to basketball and the popularity of Japanase martial arts based American movies) many teachers in Manila instruct in Japanese arts as well. Hence when they teach eskrima for people who request it.. they tend to blend in some of the Japanese style as well (karate like kicks and stances etc). Now, without sounding offensive and although these practitioners are excellent, does anyone teach untainted FMA in Manila?

The reason I ask is purely because I wish to contribute in preventing the art from dying out. I also wish to promote the art with my local Filipino community in the UK and therefore do not wish to study a diluted version.

I was taught some of the mindanao style and they use low line kicking which is traditional. I know we have arts like sikaran, but unless you have been doing the spilts since young its difficult to kick above the stomach. In addition its also often not wise to kick higher than the groin when defending yourself on the street because if you miss your leg can be grabbed and your other leg sweeped.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2005
  8. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

"Untainted" and "undiluted" fma? Uhm, because of our history, our culture is necessarily influenced, "tainted", "diluted" from other cultures. It's probably just natural that our martial arts would be as well. If you want to find fma that's not, I don't think you'll find it in Manila. I suggest finding some tribe in the mountains that's been isolated for the past millenia. I would have suggested the Tasaday, but weren't they faked natives by the Marcos regime to encourage eco-tourism? Anyway, when you do find it, I suspect you'll be practicing a lot of rock throwing, bow and arrow shooting and maybe spear hurling. Good luck.

If it was from Mindanao, maybe it was "tainted" or "diluted" by Indonesian or Malaysia systems. Those Indonesians and Malaysian systems may have been themselves been diluted by Indian or Arab traders who did their own martial arts. And as we all know the Greeks greatly influenced those 2 cultures, so we may all be doing Western European Martial Arts when we do fma?

Stickfan1, honestly bro, everybody's been influenced by everybody else. Any style or system that's never been influenced, honestly, isn't worth taking up because it probably sucks. If you'd like to meet Mumbakki, pm me and I can ask Danny if they're accepting new pledges (Submission Dungeon is not an open club, you have to be sponsored) right now.

9. stickfan1

stickfan1 New Member

Hi Diego_Vega

Maraming salamat.

I would love to meet mumbakki. I will PM you now. Always good to meet fellow pinoys in the art. :eek:

My family live in Nia Village Tandang Sora, Quezon City near SM North West are you guys nearby?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2005
  10. stickfan1

stickfan1 New Member

FMA for self defence and pride

This was quoted and I think it is applicable here.

This is the reason why I initially wanted to find a pure, quote "untainted", FMA system.

But you were right Diego, after all our country is in the heart of Asia, our race mixed with ancestors from across Indonesian, China, Malaysia and Spain. So naturally our indigineous art is a blend of the ancestral arts from these regions!

However, moving back onto the reason why I posted the original thread.

Let me explain....

Unfortunately racism is not too uncommon in some of the places here in the UK. Unlike London, (where there has been a lot of integration and ethnic diversity which has helped keep this to minimum), the place I grew up in had very little of this diversity. With the growing support of The BNP British National Party (AKA British Nazi Party) my small local Filipino community needs FMA not only as a method of self-defence, but also as a source of strength to be proud of what we are!

FMA has helped create a greater understanding and respect for our people which has helped stamp racism out and has also sent a clear message to the people who choose to remain ignorant.. don't mess with our community. Lastly a Filipino Community club will help create better unity. If there is any pinoys living in the UK PM me

11. shootodog

shootodog restless native

oh now i get it. i thought that you posted on this thread because you either you a) wanted to meet the mumbakki or b) were curious of his style.

12. stickfan1

stickfan1 New Member

Hi shooto

No don't get me wrong I still want to meet him. Submission Dungeon seems like an organsation I 'd like to be apart of as I haven't found any FMA clubs in Manila and I want to study dumog.. I take it that you and Diego_vega are part of Submission dungeon? If you could also put it a good word with 'Danny' that Diego mentioned, it would be much appreciated. Went to Luneta Park in Rizal hoping to catch some arnisadors to train with but no luck. Hopefully when I next go up some of you guys will be there!

13. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

Hello stickfan,
    Mumbaki is a nice guy once you get to know him. We northerners really are. :D
    I wish you well. I hope you find enough good people in your place. My own experience with racism is that there are always native people (foreigners) who do not believe in what their fellow countrymen do to other races. Seek them out, and avoid the trap of reacting to all folks of the same skin color as if they are all racists too. Good luck.