What's the arnis style and knife fighting style of Apo Mumbakki

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by narra, Mar 27, 2004.

1. narra

narra Valued Member

Guys,

Can you pls. tell me if you know or have info regarding the arnis and knife fighting style of Mumbakki? His grappling style is from the Northern Tribes in Ilocos right? Pls. explain

2. shootodog

shootodog restless native

it's hard to say really. i could give you some backgroundon the man though. he started boltong at an early age up in the cordilleras. he fought in many palaro in his childhood and rose to the rank of "preacher" in the art. boltong and didya is an art of the cordillera people, not the ilokanos.

he also holds black belts in both presas' arnis systems (heck! you could see his skinny picts in the one of the books). he has background in dumog. he is a student of the grand tuhon leo gaje, jr., he has travelled the world to learn, pankration, caccw, jh52 & other rsbd.

his knife style is known as dewct.

3. krys

krys Valued Member

fmas in Illocos

Actually I travelled a few times to Illocos and my training partner stayed with his wife's familly (Vigan) for a few months in the region, none of us could ever see any FMAs in the region... I don't want to sound offensive but is it that peoples are training secretely or are fmas no longuer practiced there?
    Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2004
  4. shootodog

fma traditionally has always been practiced in secret. i really cannot say if there are or aren't any fma systems still around there. but for a region reknowned for "ubusan ng lahi" (ahh, er, um, clan wars resulting in the wiping out of the bloodline), it would seem that family styles and systems would be a closly guarded secret.

a guy told me that cabaraon is practiced in the ilocoses. i'll have to interview my brother teacher to check the veracity of this.

5. Gryphon Hall

Gryphon Hall Feeling Scholler

Speculations...

Or, it just means that there doesn't exist what one would normally call a "school". My family, though coming from Tarlac, originally came from the Ilocos, and though hand-to-hand fighting was taught, apparently it was merely matter of course, that is, it was taught, it was learned, and then taken for granted, and within the family, with skills being compared in the fields just after harvest, when the ground is absent of crops.

Maybe the reason why one cannot "find" people who will teach because (and I am speculating) the people who do have the skills are likely to say "What's to teach?"

All I know is, there is a lot of skill out there. My Dad only dabbled, but he is pretty good; there are a lot better than him back in the provinces. Besides, if there were no real fighters with real skill, why do the New People's Army (the NPA; Communist Insurgents, some say "terrorists", up north) find a lot of skilled combatants that can give the army a fight?

So maybe they are not so much trying to keep it secret, but perhaps they just see it as another taken-for-granted skill not worth making a fuss over. Plus the fact that most provincial Pinoys, whether for good or bad, are somewhat awed by Manilans or foreigners, and may not understand why one would want to learn how to fight from them when one can learn the more "decent" MA of Karate (my cousins, for instance, see Karate as synonymous with Martial Arts).

Last edited: Mar 29, 2004
  6. shootodog

well put gh.

just to add a little more, there are a lot of family styles and systems that are not opne to public consumption. all over the islands, these families have kept it to themselves.

7. krys

krys Valued Member

+ Aglipay was supposed to be invincible at Arnis and he was Illocano.

NPAs are sometimes called the "Nice Peoples Around" :D, I wouldn't say they are terrorist but many of them actually turned to banditry and their leaders are having a good life in the town while they soldiers starve in the mountain...
    GM Baet of garimot arnis (laguna) once claimed his grandfather taught Arnis to the Huks....

Very true, when my friend was in Vigan he used to practice with the bolo outside the house, and different peoples came to watch, (a foreigner practicing the bolo was quite an attraction).... his father in law told him better to stop because some started to ask questions...
    Many filipinos actually cannot understand why a foreigner would like to learn fmas (Arnis = stick lang, what are you gonna do without your sticks?).... Haha my nobya even wantsed to teach me Tae Kwon Do...When I practice silat pinoys actually think I'm doing Karate.... and Aikido is often viewed as the ultimate art.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2004
  8. Gryphon Hall

Gryphon Hall Feeling Scholler

This is the second thread that has gone off tangent in observation of the fact that Filipinos themselves prefer Foreign Martial Arts; have you all noticed?

At any rate, my reply to the current discussion doesn't seem to fit this thread, so I am posting the link to the Why do Filipinos prefer foreign martial arts thread, where I put my reply.

You don't suppose that people are just confused over the acronym, do you? I mean, FMA stands for both Filipino Martial Art and Foreign Martial Art.

Aheheheheheheh.... groan....

9. narra

narra Valued Member

I went to Central Luzon myself, Nueva Ecija, and asked around for arnis teachers, practitioners and couldn't find no one. I was hoping to find some practitioners of Pananandata. Up to now I can't find any, even here in Manila.

So back to the original topic, so Mumubakki's arnis is Modern (I've studied modern, both preseas styles are 90% the same they say, this style gives you a good foundation in arnis) and Pekiti? While his knife fighting is Pekiti? And his grappling is Dumog? and Pankration together with other foreign styles?

I've seen him fight a win against Gerry Calaycay, who was also a modern arnis practitioner before, I don't know now if Gerry has other arts. He was good and I hope to see him again compete.

I'd just like to know what arts the Submission Dungeon is composed of, thanks, and pls continue to reply.

10. shootodog

er...pikiti tirsia kali, dumog, boltong, jh 52 and other related rsbd, caccw, mano mano, boxing (dirty and sport), and other stuff that i'd rather just keep to ourselves.

remember, this is a brotherhood. so the other brothers aren't just coming in with nothing either. most notably, we have big nasty's "nasty dancing" (er, a form of kickboxing that can go as extreme as rsbd, but is sport safe as well).

jerry calaycay is also a s.e.a. kickboxing champ and a dumog practitioner.

the mumbakki has trained abroad with the likes of bas rutten, matt furey, tony cecchine, and dan weber.

11. krys

krys Valued Member

Isn't Panandata another word for Cinco Terros Arnis? I'm asking this because my Arnis guro's classmate (Mr. Marinas) wrote a book on Panandata and it could just be the same style...

12. FMA_Demon

FMA_Demon New Member

FMA in the North

Krys, you are right to say that FMA in that region is hard to find. the reason is plain and simple... economics.
    If you are a very skilled teacher and you wanted to grow and seek greener pasteur, the money is either in manila or outside the country. That's 2 good reasons as to why most of our masters are not with us in the province or simply put... not teaching in this country. It's a sad fact.

Those of you who knows Grandmaster Vic Sanchez, he is a very fine teacher of Cinco terros/ Cenco Terros which used to be very popular in Pangasinan and Ilocos.

Are you guys familiar with Pani Nagen? he is from the north, a lakay in the Ebaloi Tribe Benguet and an FMA teacher in Baguio City. But he is teaching in manila and alabang.

But that doesn't mean there are no FMA teachers in the northern part of the Philippines. Most of them moved to Baguio. If you're looking for exact address, it's gonna be difficult but do Check out the Municipal hall in Santa Maria Ilocos Sur, Cabugao, Pauai, and Burgos. These are the remaining towns that still practice FMA.

If you really are interested in going there and train with the teachers, PM me and I will arrange a trip for you. Please... for serious inquiries only.

13. FMA_Demon

FMA_Demon New Member

To Narra

Narra my friend, this is all I can share with you:

mumbakki@pacific.net.ph

or you can send it also to this address:

mumbakki@sportsmedicine.usa.net

or just send it to both addresses to make sure that your message will get through

14. krys

krys Valued Member

Thanks FMA-Demon.
    Yes economics are the reason traditional fmas are disapearing.... even in Manila many promising arnisadors stoped practicing because of this...

I have no plan yet to travel north to train (I wouldn't go there for just a few weeks) , but when I will find the time I'll do it. Actually I am really interested in the martial arts and culture of the filipino minorities (Muslim filipinos, Lumads, Mangyans, Mountain peoples..), unfortunately I feel much of their knowledge is going to be lost due to economic reasons or loss of interest of the younger generations...

15. master35

master35 New Member

gud day sir, i'm a shall i say a "newbie".
    pwede ba sirs magtanong kung sa-an makikita pics ng eskrima against knife to knife and disarming techniques.

16. FMA_Demon

FMA_Demon New Member

my friend, there are a lot of books, magazines, and even photos of what you are looking for. try to use the internet and i'm pretty sure that you'll find pix.

as for "knife disarming"... My friend, No one in this world has been born (yet) to properly disarm a knife. In fact, if you know someone... I want to meet him. (quote me on this). It is a challenge that not even the Gracies or the Shamrocks or the Sakurabas or you name it tried to dare.

I am not boasting my friend. I have proven this part of FMA department (knife) that is something to be proud of. My name "Demon" was acquired because of it. We are Filipinos, and we are light years ahead of everybody else in knife techniques.

Destructive Edge Weapon Tactics is a pure Filipino Style that was born of research, tested in many countries and has been brought back here (in the Philippines) using Principles, Science and Phsychology.

(I want to give you a contact school but with due respect to the moderator of this site (advertising is not allowed. just PM me) )
    It's not a cheap course. Because your life is not cheap too.

17. master35

master35 New Member

sir demon do you got pix? for self learning.

18. narra

narra Valued Member

I totally agree with you FMA Demon, 90% of the time you cannot disarm a knife especially if the one using it is trained. If your opponent does not know any knife fighting moves then maybe your chances will be 60%. In my view its better to concentrate on knife tapping rather than knife disarms, since its more realistic that you'll be able to tap rather than disarm your opponents knife.

Master 53, look for books by Remy or Ernie Presas of Modern Arnis they have a lot of pictures there or other arnis marters like Edgar Sulite of Lameco or the book by Lema of Lighning Scientific and others.

19. FMA_Demon

FMA_Demon New Member

you said the right word narra... "tapping".
    Even Dan Inosanto now agrees with tapping rather than direct disarming (whish he use to teach).

20. master35

master35 New Member

i disagree sir narra. i could give an example: a buddy of ours got stab twice in the stomach b4 he got the hands and thanx to our training in judo as cops he knew how to get the knife out of the hand b4 a lethal blow could be used. bad for us sir because it goes with the work.