What's martial art better ??

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Mohammad, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Mohammad

Mohammad New Member

Dears,
    I'm a man of 35 years old with medium-low fitness
    What's the better for me judo or BJJ??

Thanks a lot

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

It entirely depends on what's available to you and what your goals are.
    Personally as a middle aged man I found BJJ much easier on the body than Judo.

Dead_pool likes this.
  3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Would you rather spend the better part of an hour falling down (judo), or getting squished underneath someone (BJJ)?

Mitlov, pgsmith, Monkey_Magic and 3 others like this.
  4. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

At 35 either, find out what is available, does it fit your available time, is the cost ok?

You will likely be able to have a trial class at each, so go to both and see what feels the best.

There's always a chance you could do both? :D

Pretty In Pink and Xue Sheng like this.
  5. BohemianRapsody

BohemianRapsody Valued Member

35 is not old. Try both and see which one is more fun for you. That will be the one you're more likely to stick with.

Monkey_Magic and Pretty In Pink like this.
  6. brisrocket

brisrocket Taekwondo instructor in Brisbane Australia

Less grapling you could try a stand-up martial art like Kung Fu, Taekwondo or even boxing perhaps.

7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Boxing certainly isn't going to be easier on the body than BJJ is.

Anyway, for the original poster, there's no better overall. We can give some advice if you say what your goals are, and ultimately it's going to depend on the quality of the local school, which only you can assess with a trial class or two.

axelb likes this.
  8. Mohammad

Mohammad New Member

My goal is that assist & support my Aikido skills @ street fights and self defense

9. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Both judo and BJJ will do that. With the first, you'll have to endure the harshness of repeated falls onto the mat. With the second, you'll have to get comfortable with being uncomfortably squished into the mat. Only you can make that choice.

Being an aikido guy I've always respected judo, and I finally enrolled in a class few years ago, when I was 44, but I hurt my shoulder on a hard fall in the first month or two. But when I was 35 that might not have happened, because I was still a little bit like a rubber ball in my mid 30's. (shrug) So for me BJJ was the better choice, but only you can decide how your body is.

Mitch likes this.
  10. Kingbedlam

Kingbedlam Valued Member

Honestly I would recommend Bjj over Judo simply because of the reduced chance of injury. I did Judo in my 20s, and it was extremely hard on my body, and I finally stopped when I landed wrong and dislocated my shoulder. I wouldn't even try doing Judo in my mid-30s.

11. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

I started judo at 41. The rate of injury is rather high, and the conditioning severe. Nonetheless, it's entirely doable for a 35 year old. I would say judo is a fairly ideal art to take to round out your aikido. The ground work is comparatively simple but effective, and many of the throws are potential fight enders. Osoto Guruma on pavement could be lethal.

BJJ is also fantastic, and has a very complete ground game and is arguably much safer. However, the standing game is not as comprehensive as Judo.

You may also want to look into Catch Wrestling if you can find it. Another good option which is perhaps better for your purposes that either Judo or BJJ is Sambo.

Good luck!

Hannibal and aikiMac like this.