What's it like to be a MAP Moderator?

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by Fu_Bag, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

lol... Yeah, the dull, rusty stuff is well-hidden. Although, I'm at least a little concerned about scientific instruments and a penknife that could slaughter a cow...

2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

It's a full time, rarely thanked, unpaid job.

One of the reasons I left was because I couldn't commit enough time to do the job properly.

Another was because it can be 'political' and cost you personally if you are forced to intervene in a situation that you are close to.

3. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Are people always placed within their originating subforum? It seems like there was a time where I heard of Moderators being assigned to different subforums to avoid these types of situations.

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Originally the TMs were chosen to mod a style they were familiar with, as this allowed them to know when 'one side' was unfairly/subtlely having a go at the other.

It later became the trend to get people to TM sections that they had no connection to, but supported by TMs from that art. So the TM doing the modding wasn't necessarily the TM (or GM) who had made the informed decision.

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Hours and hours of blood, sweat and toil. My fingers are often bleeding at the end of the day and my therapy and councilling billls are bankrupting me!

However, at least I get to see those photos of Mitch...

Frodo sits in the corner, rocking, mumbling to herself and occasionally twitching...

6. Frodocious

This^. There are numerous occasions when I've had to rewrite posts or replies to PMs, when my first draft has been far too close to telling whomever I'm responding to, to grow up, 'expletive' off and leave me in peace!

There are times when I have to tone down what I post in a thread to try to avoid being percieved as biased. It can be annoying sometimes, because a lot of moderation has nothing to do with being biased or not. It's usually calling posters on unacceptable behaviour (swearing, personal insults, aggressive and condescending know it all posting styles), which is nothing to do with falling into one side of an argument or the other.

7. Frodocious

It's not my fault. I need an outlet for my frustrations! :bang:

I'm starting to wonder if my generous, sweet, caring and dedicated nature is being taken advantage of... :eek:

:evil:

Wouldn't you like to know... :evil:

Cackles hysterically...

I'm peeeerrrrrrffffffeeeccccctttttllllllyyyy SaNe

8. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Wow. Sorry to hear that. I mean, I knew things were tough with the beetles and the Celery Woman but I didn't realize things were THAT bad. :eek: So...What's it like when you actually logon to MAP?

That may need to be a poll question... :thinking:

No arguments here!

:D

9. Frodocious

Double that, multiply it by 100,000 then add 10 and you're about there! :D

10. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

We should start a support group. We've been suffering in silence for too long. Too long I tell you!

11. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

So, when you say you're a woman on the edge...

:eek:

12. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

As a former moderator let me tell you they make craploads of money first of all. They get to quit their day job and work full time for MAP. Actually the folks who mod around here are overworked and underpaid (none I think) and do it cause they love the martial arts. This is one of the best websites around and its because of their hard work!

13. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

I figured as much. And yet here they are, playing the Iceland/Greeland game...

:whistle:

14. Frodocious

Yes, but I have to spend all my vast earnings on councilling! :cry: :mad:

15. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

And bandages for bleeding fingers. :eek:

I was just kidding around with the money comment. You guys do a seemless job, put up with a heap of nonsense, and make this place enjoyable to visit. And all for nothing more than pictures of Mitch. Kudos to you guys.

Thanks!

:bow1:

16. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Whaddya mean "nothing more than pictures of Mitch?"

That's a whole heapin' helpin' of picture I'll have you know!

Mitch :D

17. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Is this part of the selection process, you have to issue an incriminating picture that can be used against you should the need arise?

18. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Agreed! "Buns in spandex" had me feelin' very inspired! :hat: :Angel:

19. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Yeah, but they seem to ENJOY releasing those pictures of themselves. Remember the horsey pic? It's almost like they keep those things in reserve as worse punishments than a ban! :eek::wow:

Come to think of it, perhaps that's why people are relatively well-behaved around here...

20. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I thought being a MAP Mod was all drugs, women and rock n roll.