Whats in Gen Chois TKD manuals

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by StuartA, Mar 15, 2012.

1. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

As per this post request: http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1074600704&postcount=53

Attached are the synopsis of the 15 Volume Encylopedia of Taekwon-Do by general Choi Hong Hi. It is 15 volumes long (as detailed here) and each chapter is further divided up (happy to post those too is you want the specific breakdown - just say which one). If you need clarification on anything, just say! :D

Stuart

Attached Files:

2. StuartA

I think out of all the chapters, Vol 5 should be expanded upon, so here it is.

You will notice it says 'Throwing & Falling Techniques' quite clearly, as well as 'Defence Against Armed Opponents' - which include knife, baton, pole, bayonet and pistol (pistol is very briefly covered).

The Self defence section covers standing, kneeling, sitting (chair) & prone (lying down/floor).

Stuart

Attached Files:

3. cloystreng

cloystreng Valued Member

Good idea posting this. I've read through these volumes several times now.

4. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  5. wmks shogun

wmks shogun Valued Member

Badger Ladder that is a great find. Answers a lot of questions. I have a copy of the condensed encyclopedia, but it is nice to see the full version. Thanks!

6. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

I have the 1968 Daeha Publication Company book titled "Taekwon-Do - The Art of Self Defence" by Choi Hong Hi.

Here are photos of the Table of Contents (apologies for the size of the photo's)

Notable features of this edition are as follows:
    8 kups (as opposed to 9)
    Hwa-Rang as the last hyung necessary for black belt
    Four belt system of rank (White, Blue, Brown, Black)
    Inclusion of the Shorin Kata
    20 Hyung (and the order in which they were practiced)

ToC1.jpg ToC2.jpg

ToC3.jpg

Hope this addition serves the thread well!

Regards,

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Great thread this. Glad I (sort of) started it. :)
    Aside from the techniques used (as they are probably outdated) the inclusion of defences against ground attacks, throwing, weapon defences etc, shows me that TKD is far more "complete" and wide ranging than I thought (or indeed experienced) when I first did it many years ago.
    I have no idea why someone (or an association of someone's) would take an art like this and only teach line-work, set sparring, patterns with no applications, sport rules sparring and other rigid but ultimately limited grading requirements.
    When there's so much to cover?

8. Caleb Demarais

Caleb Demarais Valued Member

Be careful about posting copyrighted material guys. It's great you're sharing, but, y'know. :)

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I think there may be many reasons, but at least one is what afflicts Govt targets for organisations, ie mistaking the target for the purpose.

Because TKD operates a grading syllabus, it has to be defined. Once it is defined it is limited. Because of the restrictions in time of modern training, that definition has to be quite narrow.

Instructors then decide what to teach, and not surprisingly look to gain good grading results for their students. They teach linework and tournament sparring and patterns for detail not application, resulting in good grades for students who are extremely competent within the narrow range they are taught. These students go on to become Instructors and so it goes on.

Couple this with the fact that most people in MA (and I include all MAs in this) don't want to actually fight* at a high level and are happy to get a mental and physical challenge, which can be supplied within the confines we're discussing, and the answer isn't hard to understand.

Mitch

*The rise of BJJ is interesting in this context. It's very hard work, very technical, very demanding, but pretty low risk and in my stupidly limited experience makes less impact than almost any other MA for most practitioners. Striking arts involve getting hit. Judo involves getting slammed into mats. BJJ is almost unique in removing the harsh impact of most arts. That's no criticism of BJJ, I've loved the few classes I've done, just an observation that has just occurred to me. I wonder if it holds water?

10. StuartA

Yup. For my posts I`m under the 'Fair Use' policy of copyright rule.. in this instant to show the books index (only), which is fair for reviewing a potential purchase! :)

Stuart

11. StuartA

Now ya know why I harp on about it so much :)

Stuart

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I see what you mean and sort of agree.
    But maybe I'm just a wuss because when I did a BJJ session I felt more banged up than doing pretty much any TKD lesson I've ever done. :)
    Even without the getting hit part I'd have muscles aching where I didn't have muscles (which is everywhere), scrapes and scratches, skinned knuckles, dings and knocks. Sometimes my whole head would be aching from cross faces and defending chokes.
    I think the rise of BJJ is moslty to do with the fact that its practitioners can do and show what they say they can do and the results are tangible and measurable (within its context).

13. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

I also think that Vol. #5 is the most important & that it should be expanded upon. I would lime to point out that this whole volume is dedicated to fighting. But it is not the only part of the 15 volumes that do so. Volume #1 contains both Pre-arranged free sparring & model sparring. These are sparring for the BB holders, along with foot technique sparring. Volume #1 also contains additional SD & more importantly the tournament sports match rules, which is not fighting, but sport.
    Volume 5 is perhaps the least restrictive as fighting & SD is a highly individualized entity. It is also the volume that directs the student to fight under as realistic conditions as possible, as that is how one learns to defend themselves. Doing that simply direction will be perhaps the most beneficial aspect of your training, as it will force the students to abandon all the silly rules of sports competition that get in the way of SD & move ITF TKD back to its roots as a mix of fighting systems for real SD.

14. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

I would render a guess & suggest that Gen. Choi obsessed about his patterns. He did that IMHO at the expense of other areas of the Art. While he succeeded where no one else did, it had a downside, a price to be paid & I think we see that today in the ITF. Far too many ITFers highlight the lack of SD in WTF or Kukki TKD, while all these ITERers will do is some make believe go along with my Hollywood type made up skit, thinking that is SD! They say WTF focuses on sports. But they focus on patterns, which in my view is worse, as at least WTF has full contact.
    Along the way & due to politics & the interference of the KCIA in the ITF, many south Korean masters, who were the real fighters left the ITF & Gen. Choi due to the pressure put on them by a corrupt & brutal military dictatorship(s) back home. These were the ITF leaders that emphasized fighting & real SD. Hopefully a new generation of tough leaders can help put back the true or original emphasis of TKD, SD.

15. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

Yes this is what Gen. Choi would call free sparring, which is essentially open combat in which all available means for attack & defense are used, (with obvious safety concerns). Mr. Anslow would call this "traditional sparring". Whatever you call it, it basically is MMA to an extent & I don't mean the sport.