What's Everyone's Take On Tommy Carruthers?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by hulkout, Jun 22, 2009.

1. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Which raises the question of why you're not out there doing them?

Just to clarify, I've nothing at all against your beloved Tommy, I just felt your defense of him was doing more harm than good and had glaring logical inconsistencies.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Come to Edinburgh man, I'll buy you a drink! :D

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Yet you are still online and still here...strange

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I know. If I had better things to do I wouldn't be here, but I'm at work today.

5. 1fightforright2

1fightforright2 Valued Member

it funny that you guys say this because Bruce lee himself stressed that sparing is important! so why does he not spar?

6. Hannibal

It is usuallt down to a definition of "sparring" - I don't think Tommy does the "3 minutes GO!" type, but I would be suprised if he does not pressure test in some way

This would qualify as sparring

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAxfXCl_tfQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAxfXCl_tfQ[/ame]

This would qualify as pressure testing

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59Jqtw-7_G4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59Jqtw-7_G4[/ame]

I tend to gravitate to the latter in my classes because it focuses on the attributes I need my students to acquire from a technical persepctive. The "round based" sparring is for discipline development in kali, boxing, muay thai or Ju Jutsu ranges (to pick the obvious examples).

7. 1fightforright2

In jun fan where I train we do both however we do the pressure testing in a drill with gloves. THe pressure testing I guess teaches you timing. Like BL said to Taky kimura in his letter Economy of form. 1) Synchronize with yourself 2) synchronize with opponent 3) apply it under stress. Something like that! MY sifu jumps right in to second step and does the jab catch drill at first, then we light spar it. so we play about with timing, rhythm and distance. You master the pattern then break the pattern! we also do it with focus mits again its the jab every once in a while the pad holder will yell out a combination (cross hook cross or other) usually after every 3rd or 4th jab. I see Mr vunak doing that but he's entry is the inside gutin followed by the chain punch in wing chun. Paul Vunak is one of my Favorited JKD instructors.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  8. Hannibal

Vu is a phenomenal practitioner and is a great coach, but is also as mad as a sack of frogs and tends to "self-destruct" quite a lot

9. 1fightforright2

I have had a look at your website Jay you are a Don! I know marc mcfan as well another favorite JKD instructor of mine.

10. 1fightforright2

Really why? does he suffer from depression?

11. Hannibal

I'll PM you

12. 1fightforright2

dose anybody on this forum know how I can get in contact with tommy carrathers? I am heading up to Glasgow in June. would like to try out his classes one on one.

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm going out on a limb here, but... http://www.tommycarruthers.com/

14. 1fightforright2

On a final note mate I will say this it may offend people in this forum but I will put is bluntly Tommy Carrathers is an instructor under Ted wong. now here comes the harsh bit, Ted wong was not a certified instructor under Bruce Lee . THere has only been three instructors under Bruce Lee, Taki kimura, Level 5 in Jun fun gung fu, james Lee, Level 3 in JKD and Jun fan gung fu, and Dan Inosanto Level 3 JKD, Level 3 jun fan gung fu and level 3 Chinese boxing. Ted wong started training in 1967 by this time Guro Dan inosanto was already a officially certified instructor under Lee. Now there has been a big misunderstanding about JKD. alot of people say there is original JKD and conceptul jkd. But this is incorrect I have come to realize through research that people call Jun fan gung fu original JKD. so no one is wrong, but JKD is A concept to absorb what is useful. Jun fan gung fu is the basis that you expand on. When you expand by resurching other arts then and only then can you call yourself a JKD practitioner. I am trying to unite the original and conceptual together so that the original practitioners can realize what is.

15. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Nooooooo, say it's not true. :cry:

Wrong.

When you join a JKD class you can call yourself a JKD practitioner.

I'm sure the original practitioners are more than aware. They were there.

My advice. Just go train. It's the answer to everything.

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I don't think that anyone in the JKD community, whichever side of the political divide they fall on, has any misgivings about the late Ted Wong's qualifications to teach JKD.

17. 1fightforright2

If we all have two arms and two legs how can you stylize violence ? If you understood this deeply you would understand that JKD is only a name get rid of it you are already limiting yourself by saying a JKD practitioner is a JKD practitioner which Bruce Lee did not want. He believed that the individual is much more important than any style. Correction a martial artist is a martial artist. a gung fu man dose not seek identity, a gung fu man does not seek competition, a gung fu man simply is that is all.

18. 1fightforright2

what do you mean by misgivings?

19. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Really?

Is there a specific manner in which to blend the components and study the philosophy so that it needs a JKD practitioner to guide you?

Edit: Just to be clear I'm not being argumentative for the sake of it :D . It's something I've taken an interest in of late.

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  20. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

That's all very clever and it sounds like you have a deep understanding, but, and it's a big but, how good are your skills?

Stop trying to change the world and go train.

You'll change no-ones mind here. This is the JKD forum, we've either done JKD, are doing JKD, or moved on from JKD.

I've seen plenty of guys talk the talk over the years, but you need to walk the walk.

Any videos of you training rather than talking?