What's Everyone's Take On Tommy Carruthers?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by hulkout, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Stevie Bhoy

Stevie Bhoy Valued Member

No insult intended. I suppose you could refer to the word 'pedantic' being used as an indirect insult. You've obviously taken it the wrong way.

Why pick faults about demonstrations that have taken place a number of years ago? I can assure you, Sifu Carruthers has moved on since then.

2. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

I'm not so sure he has. Then again, I don't know him as well as you do.

3. february

february Valued Member

DaeHan, yeah "drill" was probably an ill-informed choice of words - I did think that when I wrote it...as for full contact, yes you do have do gear up.

Tommy gets some bad press, he's very open about speaking his mind, but it's generally people who don't know him or don't agree with him that slag him off (mostly behind his back). I don't think he's too bothered about putting Youtube vids etc. out there, the one's that are there weren't done by or put up by him.

I don't know Tommy as well as Stevie does, but through my contact with him, he's totally changed my approach to JKD. He has been in JKD pretty much his whole life even though he's boxed and done other stuff, he's really passionate about it and works harder than anyone I've seen, at 50 the guy is pretty phenomenal - I'd say he's as fit as most pro boxers. Personally I owe him alot.

4. Stevie Bhoy

Im not sure if I am allowed to post details here but Sifu Carruthers is doing seminars in the States over the next few months. The details are on his webpage under news. If you can make at least one, then you can find out for yourself.

5. kongwell

kongwell Valued Member

He is the real deal guys. He's like a modern day Bruce Lee who puts in the hours of training to become who he is today because of his passion of JKD.

He has been quoted by a few OJKD students that he has Bruce Lee like attributes and abilities. As for the online lessons, i have seen allot of **** JKD videos online but his really do stand out and he explains the principles of the drills that do make sense. I know they are good because i have the back catalogue. Our school trains in a simular style and i took an interest in him because of this.

He is not a con-man, he is selling and sharing a product that he has accumulated over many many years that work in real like fighting situations. End of.

6. february

february Valued Member

Hello Kongwell, are you/were you a member of Tommy's online group?

7. kongwell

kongwell Valued Member

Hey february. I used to be a member and found it very helpfull. I'm guessing your a member?

8. 1ToNJaB

1ToNJaB Valued Member

Before he got super popular I used to visit his website and forum. I thought he was pretty fast, but most light weights are fast anyways. He came off as a jerk in the forum, really cocky and arrogant.

I don't know how he trains his students... but from his videos he talks about suiting up in a natural stance and just go all out for like 20 seconds, like sprints. But most of his vid clips is of him throwing super fast attacks against students ready to take a fall and not resisting. Looks like good stuff for the movies.

9. Stevie Bhoy

If you were to attend a class at his school or one of his seminars you would find out for yourself how he "trains his students".

10. JKDan

JKDan New Member

I know I'm like 2 years late for this thread (thats b/c i just registered on this website) and i dont know if anyone of you guys would bother to take a look at it again since its old. But I've read this thread from beginning to end and the question that popped up into my head is Where and How was tommy taught jeet kune do and Who taught him?

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I believe he was with the WNG for a time (before he started slaging them off apparently) and the same for Jerry Poteet's group. I have heard rumours of him training with Jesse Glover as well.

He looks talented physically, but I cannot say it is exactly my cup of tea. Politically speaking he is a douche

12. JKDan

JKDan New Member

Sorry for my ignorance but what is the WNG?

13. Hannibal

Wednesday Night Group

It was primarily Tim Tackett's group, but Bob Bremer is effectively co-instructor. I like them, even if we differ on style points

14. Sheever

Sheever Valued Member

Hey All

regarding Tommy.
    February have right on this.Tommy way beyond everybody else in JKD.Hes training is for real and he is totally different than others.
    the main difference is He did make it work the principles in reality while the others teach for sport stacked with boxing and kick boxing stuffs no finish off mentality.
    I am lucky enought to train with hes group leader and I can tell after our arguement in the past based on misleading caused by instructors I ve seen.JKD dying because those instructors just simply teach idiot theorys which havent got any sense at all good for hook up with your mate but not against real full power attack.Tommy doesnt share hes stuffs even what seen by the public is not what he teach for hes students.he is a Real man he help me a lot to open my eyes as I was blinded by others showing falsh reputation of JKD
    if anybody want to know the truth go and apply to train in hes group ll see the difference and what is the real deal.
    the online lesson shows basic technical stuffs but the training is completely different altough using those technics the training he worked out trough decades itself give you the best understanding how it will work in real.

15. Sheever

Sheever Valued Member

"Tommy Carruthers has over 30 years experience in the martial arts which includes training in military self-defence techniques (taught to him by his father), Judo, Jiu-Jitsu, wrestling, Karate, boxing, Ving Tsun (four years with Nino Bernardo's clan), Non-Classical Gung Fu and finally Jeet Kune Do. Whilst training in western boxing, Tommy made something of a name for himself and became the subject of several tempting offers to turn professional. "But still to Tommy, even though he seemed to excel in boxing, it was not JKD." (taken from Fighters Magazine, July 1997).

Frustrated with an absence of Jeet Kune Do clubs in his area, Tommy began to train by himself, pushing himself to the limits and along the way reading and assimilating absolutely everything that was around on JKD. He attended various JKD seminars in Europe but remained unimpressed. "I felt that what they were teaching would not work on the street, and it is in that arena that the truth comes out". Eventually he came across an article on Gary Dill in an American Kung Fu magazine. Everything in the article he agreed with so he took the plunge and phoned him up. Gary Dill was a student of the late James Lee, one of Bruce's own students. Taking the plunge he phoned him up and the upshot was that he was invited to America by Dill to train as a JKD instructor on an intensive course."

Later he came to the attention of Jesse R. Glover, Bruce Lee's first student and assistant-instructor. Glover then recommended Tommy to one of Bruce Lee's best and most highly respected students of his Oakland era, Howard Williams, as well as Bruce's last private student and protegé Ted Wong. It was also Mr Wong who awarded Tommy with an instructor ranking and eventually, Tommy was formally recognised by the JKD Nucleus (Bruce Lee Educational Foundation) at a formal dinner party with over 200 guests from around the Jeet Kune Do scene. In more recent years, Tommy has continued to train and build ties with many respected JKD practitioners from around the world such as Tim Tackett and original Bruce Lee student, Bob Bremer."

He was a bouncer hes got perfect view to reality

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  16. Hannibal

Sheever, any chance of posting out something that doesn't come straight from Tommy's website or doesn't involve you getting bits of corn on the end of your nose?

You have yet again posted lots and said nothing - congratulations

17. Sheever

Sheever Valued Member

I train Tommys stuff in a small group
    I am a member of hes organisation
    Yeah,Enough to read Tommys side regarding the question I answered
    Nice to see you Hannibal again.i sadly see you still didnt get your pills.

18. Hannibal

I self-medicate with common sense and reality.

Try it sometime

19. Sheever

Sheever Valued Member

you just can not stop it, do you?
    i said too much already.

20. Hannibal

Oh relax, it is all in good fun....

The problem is that you come on here and basically say "TOMMY IS THE INLY ONE DOING JKD PROPERLY" - which is not true and is actually pretty insulting.

I get that you like his take on things, and there is nothing wrong with that. I actually consider him quite talented physically. What I do not appreciate is the constant political crap that he spouts - and that you are now propogating.

As for reality, bouncer gives a good level of exposure to a certain element and is undoubtedly a good arena for testing. But by that definition of "knows what they are talking about" I am actually a LOT more experienced than he is in far more dangerous scenarios...Yet that does not resonate with you does it? Politics again! When he stops being a political douche people will stop saying things about him.

Well except Master Betty who just hates the fact he is a happy-slappy fighter