What’s different about Choy Li Fut?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Monkey_Magic, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

The San Shou I teach is for the most part contextualised CLF (as David Ross will tell you about his Llama Pai)

axelb likes this.
  2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

The San Shou I teach is for the most part contextualised CLF (as David Ross will tell you about his Llama Pai)
    Edited version of the first butterfly knives form I learned

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  3. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

As Icefield mentioned some CLF is even reduced to maybe a couple of hand forms and 1 or 2 weapons sets. I know guys who rarely do forms but do drills/spar/compete as their primary training.

I guess that CLF , like most arts, has a range of practitioners with a range of needs. Some people , for whatever reason, gravitate towards forms over fighting. If that serves their purposes so be it. Those that want a ''practical'' competitive martial art also see CLF as a worthwhile vehicle.

As far as arts go Pericles and his brothers had probably been through the gamut 1000 years before Kung Fu was a glimmer in the mind of Bodhidharma. There probably aren't any new techniques, just ways of packaging the arts for whatever purpose has become prevalent at the time. CLF , Pankration , Wrestling, Boxing and a multitude of others found this out.

Late for dinner :' )

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

To answer the question in the original post:

(1) the basics, as performed in their basic method, are effective powerful strikes. There are some other arts where the basics may be teaching important body mechanics, but look very different from practical application. This is less of the case in CLF.
    (2) my understanding is that schools frequently include padwork and free-sparring to a greater degree than many other kung fu schools.

I'm going to roll my eyes about the "forms are bad" tangent that got injected into this. Forms are part of CLF training, just like they're part of Kyokushin karate training, and just as they're a continuing part of Lyoto Machida's training. In my experience, you DO need to do frequent free-sparring and padwork to make a martial art work under pressure. You do NOT have to purge forms from the curriculum to make it work under pressure. There's a huge difference between the two assertions, and the former doesn't necessarily lead to the latter, despite the frequent arguments of some here on MAP.

Monkey_Magic likes this.