Whats all this kick a tree thing

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by gibbo_forever_2, Dec 6, 2004.

1. gibbo_forever_2

gibbo_forever_2 New Member

hello fellow martial artists i have being doing kickboxing since FEB this year (redbelt) i wanna get more power into my kicks and be able not 2 feel pain as much.

Does kicking a tree down help? :bang:
    Does meditation help control pain?
    Does cutting ya self wiv a knife and burning urself wiv a lighting help u control pain? lol

ive seen most kickboxers do this ive meet on holiday so i wanna no if its true.

2. BackFistMonkey

BackFistMonkey Valued Member

I think you answered you own question

I know some people have done cutting as a form of pain tolerance training kinda silly (IMO) I would think you would want to build up a tolerance for bruising and deep tissue damage type pain ... not surface pussy scarification cutting. If you really want to kick a tree I cant think of a reason why though most tree's I know are pretty cool , wrap a couple old egg crate style foam matress pads around it and then duct tape it tight .

Once you have your tree wrapped in a couple nice egg crate mattresses you follow these steps and I promise you will see a difference in the speed and power of your kicks !

1. Kick the tree a lot ... a whole lot with all your kicks in different combo's EVERYDAY untill you cant anymore .

2. Wait for it to rain while you train daily .

3. Buy an outdoor Heavy bag after the rain destoys the padding on the tree .

4. Remove duct tape from tree and clean up any left over foam .

5. Hang the bag from the tree .

6. Continue to do step 1 ! Using the heavy bag hanging from the tree .

Your power , speed, and pain tolerance will build over time there are no short cuts .They only way to improve your power and pain tolerance is to do what ever you are doing over and over and over again . If you want to kick a tree your going to have to work up to it. In order to just walk up and wail on a tree who is blocking your way or hitting on your women takes years of work , if you dont want to damage your shin . Once you can spar with a human without pain ( when you block or your kicks are blocked ) then you can take on a tree . But why I thought kickboxing was about kicking people and boxes ?

I am sure some one will give the really good advise of "SHUT UP AND SQUAT !" which will also improve your kicking power and speed .

Meditation does help control pain ... but its not a skill you can actively use while blocking roundhouse kicks with your shin and jumping around ... atleast I cant do it .

To sum it up you must condition slowly and build over time . Kick ... its that simple ... practice, spar,kick alot against a target that you can kick and that was meant to be kicked ( you know things like people , bags , target pads ) .There are no shortcuts it takes time .

and I thinks all of this has been covered before in previous threads .

and where in the world did you go on holiday ? Most people only kick trees in the movies ....

Last edited: Dec 6, 2004
  3. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Depends what you mean by help. Help you on your way to a hospital, yep. Help your way to brittle bone syndrome. You betcha. Help increase your risk of bone cancer. Oh hell yeah. Help cause arthritis. Do you even need to ask?

Painkillers help disguise pain. Meditation persuades you to ignore it. Pain is your body's message to you that something's wrong. Don't ignore it.

That's called self harm and is a completely different topic from conditioning. Generally its not done to control physical pain but as a coping mechanism to render emotional pain as physical, so in a way, yes.

4. Paul 100

Paul 100 New Member

lol

lol Josh you've been watchin kickboxer for the hundreth time again havnt you lol (i have)...........

I told you this forum was good tho.. :D

Do you want to spar in road at night agian on friday?? haha

5. BackFistMonkey

better than kicking a tree , kick him once for me too !

then buy him a heavy bag

:love:

BackFistMonkey

6. HammerFist

HammerFist New Member

kicking a tree won't help you develop power. It will deaden you nerve endings so you don't feel as much pain. If you want more power I'd say, work on your technique and lift weights.

7. Paul 100

Paul 100 New Member

If he wants more power he just needs to train more on the heavy bag, and hes already got quite a heavy one....

8. BackFistMonkey

sweet if he wont use it mail it to me .... or drive it down and we can play l :)

BackFistMonkey

9. Paul 100

Paul 100 New Member

Course no problem haha :D

whats with the face with hearts tho??? :eek: lol

10. BackFistMonkey

:love: = : love : like in a letter

Love
    BackFistMonkey

( its not a reference to personal one on one love or my personal feelings towards anyone in particuliar just a well wishing of love to those who read my rantings & ramblings )

Last edited: Dec 6, 2004
  11. Paul 100

Paul 100 New Member

Yes ok i was only kiddin its abit late and im tired and im worried about tomorow.

12. Really? Where did you go?

13. kungfufighter

kungfufighter Banned Banned

kicking a tree is muay thai training in Thailand they start off kids from when they are young training in muay thai. It helps toughen your skin on your legs so your kicks are more powerful, cutting yourself, burning yourself,any type of hurting yourself doesn't make things not hurt, it makes you know how the pain feels when you do stuff like that. Meditating might work other then that i guess you have to keep taking the hits until you get used to it.

14. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Kicking a tree is an urban myth style thingy.
    And if you do start to kick trees, itll kick the nerve endings, the scar tissue on the bones will be harden the shin, but that is all short term effects.
    As you reach older age of like 30 - 40 years, your going to have some seriously sore legs.

15. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Hi,
    Cutting or burning yourself if for nutters, not martial artists. If you want to kick hard, kick the heavy bad 1000s of times a day.

16. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

like most myths it is grounded in truth- in old thailand before things like bags and pads, they would kick banana trees which have very soft trunks (in fact they often break from being kicked)

unfortunately a lot of westerners saw/heard about this but missed out the banana bit and BAM you get idiots giving themselves bone fractures and other leg problems.

17. kungfufighter

kungfufighter Banned Banned

Whew that was close, i was actually thinking about kicking trees...hehehe, i better stick to the punching bag i guess.

18. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

next time just think of this

save the trees! lol

19. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

Ikken has provided everyone with a blinding flash of correctness.

The whole "kicking trees" thing started because this was a popular training method in Thailand before Heavy Bags became commonplace. And as stated, the specific tree for this exercise was the Banana tree, which has a soft trunk. It is NOT a hardwood tree!!!!!

In addition, when you kick the Banana Tree, it releases a sap that acts as a kind of salve that helps in the healing process.

And as Ikken most correctly pointed out.... it seems that most fahrangs (foreigners) have missed out on the whole "BANANA" part of kicking trees. You don't just go and kick any tree.... I've heard many, many stories of not-so-educated Westerners trying to show off by kicking the wrong tree, or kicking solid objects that the Thai's would never DREAM of kicking, and causing themselves serious and/or PERMANENT injury.

If people would take the time and actually learn a professional Thai gym's training methods, you would probably see a lot fewer injuries. The fights themselves are harmful enough, so the Thai's have gotten their training method down to a science based on SAFETY!

(an injured fighter earns no money, therefore the Thai's *stress* safe training methods!!!)

20. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Plus you live in the UK and I see you kicking down a tree, you are looking at a £500 pound fine if you are in an area which has a TPO, which include most urban areas in europe for a start, if you do it in a park stateside you are destroying municipal property that is a criminal offence right of, fancy explaining to Bubba and his buddies that you are locked up for attacking trees.