What's a good knife?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by AndrewTheAndroid, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

2. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

I'm a huge fan of Scandanavian knives as the Finns, Latvians, Swedes and Norwegians all make an art of being outside.
    http://www.google.com/imgres?q=scan...0&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:0&biw=1024&bih=634

The PUUKKO knife is a standard carry north of the Artic Circle. Its spine is particularly thick and the shortish blade and outsized handle make it a universal tool for just about all camp-skills. You probably won't see Mick Dundee trading in his monster for one of these, but it probably won't draw undue attention from the authorities, either. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  3. shootodog

shootodog restless native

sometimes the forest is more "civilized" than most city streets. so "in the wild" could be any street outside my gate. ;)

4. Medes

Medes Valued Member

As far as knives go for " security," if one doesn't know ' what is a good knife,' then it is obvious one is not trained to use it. Carrying any weapon one is not trained to use would cause more harm than good. The weapon could be used against you ( or whomever.)

Don't carry/use what one is not trained to carry/use.

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Have you read the entire thread.

The OP is going hiking and was asking for advice on a knife such as a gerber, not a bowie knife.

It is not a weapon that is required here.

6. Medes

Medes Valued Member

The British Commando dagger of WWII is my favorite modern dagger. Though it should be noted "knives" and "daggers" are not the same thing. Knives are single-edged and daggers are double-edged.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

A dagger would be crap all use on a hike though....

8. Haakon

Haakon Valued Member

9. Medes

Medes Valued Member

Yes, I read the post. But "security" was mentioned, so I wrote what I wrote.

Yes, I agree a dagger is not an all purpose instrument.

10. shootodog

[​IMG]

the fairbairn-sykes is a great stabbing weapon. lousy at slashing due to the lack of a belly.

[​IMG]

the applegate-fairbairn, the knife that col. rex applegate updated would be better "all around" as a cqb knife. though it slashes better than the fs, the af would be beaten in cutting by something with more of a belly like this:

[​IMG]

the smatchet! there used to be a "baby" or "mini" version of this.

but overall i'd pick something like this for all purpose:

[​IMG]

or this:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  11. Medes

Medes Valued Member

shootodog,

The FS in image number one is the dagger I was speaking of earlier. I agree said dagger isn't the best for cutting, but it is great for thrusts.

As I study a German middle ages tradition, I prefer direct trusting action over cuts. Of course, I have working replicas of period daggers, but as far as 'modern' daggers go, well, FS is good to me!

12. shootodog

they're all knives mate. a dagger is a knife.

13. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Mora do good camping/hiking knives, they dont look all EDC/Paramilitary (important legal angle) and are well made and very good value for money, in addition as there cheap you can abuse the hell out of them.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_sporting-goods?_encoding=UTF8&node=3375251&field-brandtextbin=Mora"]Amazon.com: Mora: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

14. Medes

Medes Valued Member

shootodog,

Respectfully, I suggest you try telling a practioner of medieval and renaissance arms that a dagger and a knife are the same. If they know their stuff, they will tell you a dagger has double edges and a knife has a single edge.

Of course, there are rare exceptions, for example, Master Filippo Vadi stated " La longeza de la daga vol esere fin a el gomito con un taglio e dui cantoni, el manico vol esser d' uno somesso como apare la forma d' essa dopenta qi di sotto." Which means, " The length of the dagger should reach to the elbow with an edge and two corners, the handle should be of ' uno somesso' as appears in its shape painted below."

Now there isn't a painting below here, but in Folio 37v ( De Arte Gladiatoria ) is a painted illustration. My point is though, that in modern days a dagger has two edges and most in older times did too! :)

15. shootodog

good info. and this information helps the OP how?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  16. Medes

Medes Valued Member

whats the 'OP?'

17. Hannibal

Original Poster

18. shootodog

19. Neil Gendzwill

Neil Gendzwill Valued Member

Late to the thread but... if you are hiking then you might like something lighter. I used to like to carry a big fixed-blade knife but lately I have made do just fine with a mid-sized Spyderco folder. Single-handed opening is a must if it's not fixed blade IMO. An axe is OK but a folding saw is even more useful.

20. Hannibal