What?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by 47MartialMan, Apr 23, 2011.

1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I think I wish I had 50k to fritter away!!!

3. 47MartialMan

It is said that Bruce Lee had quite the Martial Art book collection-library

4. Hannibal

That is certainly true - however, it was his notes in the books that are supposed to be the most enlightening rather than the books themselves

Anyone got a spare 50K I can borrow???

5. rivend

rivend Valued Member

I am surprised this book is not being sold for more money than that.

6. osu,

Who ever said there was no money in MA? :D
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention 47MartialMan.

I have no idea of the value of collectibles, but indeed, as someone mentioned, the value of BL books likely resides in his notes.

Osu!

7. rivend

rivend Valued Member

You should see some examples of valuable collectibles you would be shocked as to what is extremely valuable especially rare books.And if the book still has the original dust jacket on it the value goes way up also.

8. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

Bwahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaaaaaaa

That's all I can say.

9. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

I'll give you a fiver, a tenner if someone can translate it first.
    Ridiculous waste of money whomever pays so much for that.

10. Hannibal

Hey if you've got it, spend it! It still doesn't come close to "Action Comics #1" (which I would also have bought if I had a spare million...)

11. SpikeD

I just can't quite grasp the reason for frivolity. I don't get why pieces of art go for such silly amounts, I mean sure it's a nice painting and all but how many millions? Also so much of valuable art is truly hideous, or downright crap. IMO. For what it's worth. (probably less than Bruce's book even at a fiver) :topic:

12. Hannibal

Some things just have a level of je ne sais quois about them - the Bill or Rights is just a piece of paper, yet the significance goes beyond it.

Art is always a bit odd, but in this case it is more of a collectible - Bruce Lee cannot make any more signatures so it has a morbid inherent rarity. In addition it has the association of being an item that is kung-fu related, thereby enforcing the link

If the person can afford it then why not? How many frivolous things do we all have in our lives? Going out for a drink is frivolous and does not last as long! Do you need that $100 pair of jeans or will $15 Wal-Mart specials do?

I know the scale is so much bigger, but with an item like this it will never LOSE value (unless you wipe you bum on it of course....) so it can even be argued it is a guaranteed investment

13. SpikeD

£15 for a pair of jeans? Do I look like Rockefeller? :)

Going out for a drink i think fits outside of frivolity as it is a social tool, but only if it is for social reasons of course. I do kind of get the attraction to certain items and objects, just not to the point whereby you spend an absolute fortune for what is essentially a bit of paint on a bit of canves done by somebody whom puts paint on canvas.
    Each to their own i suppose it just makes as much sense to me as football fans that rarely watch the game as they are to busy picking fights with the world.

14. 47MartialMan

Some things cant be purchased. Would these be considered as "priceless"?

15. Hannibal

One mans trash is another mans treasure!

I bought a 1st edition "The Filipino Martial Arts" by Dan Inosanto (immaculate condition too) for about $60.00 and the seller actually sent me another book because he was embarassed a mere book got that high

I would've paid double the price (at least) and he was suprised at this

If had the chance to buy a book that Sijo Lee owned I would jump at it...provided I had the funds of course!

16. 47MartialMan

I guess the worth of something is what one is willing to spend

17. Hannibal

If you only look at the price, you don't appreciate the value!

18. 47MartialMan

Said like a true collector-appraiser

19. Osu,

Oh yes! :)
    Price, value & cost are very different things...

Do things without a price have no value?

Osu!

20. SpikeD

Kind of fits with the saying about fools and money as much as it does with trash and treasure.