What you need for travelling to the PI

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Lucy O'Malley, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Lucy O'Malley

Lucy O'Malley The Mother Art

If you intend to travel to the PI, here is an essential guide for preperation and travelling.

This is based on UK residents, but should not require much adapting for anyone else.

Tickets/Hotel Accomodation

I highly recommend Travel Bag for booking your flights. They have always had the best deals. They are happy to answer any questions you might have and do as many quotes as you like. They are one of the best priced travel agents for multi stops / round the world tickets too. You can book via phone or internet unless you have access to them in London. They post the tickets/e-ticket and receipt to you very quickly.

I prefer to book hotels direct as they are usually alot cheaper. Book by recommendation rather than star rating as these can be from one end of the scale to the other in the PI. Bad hotels are really bad, but good ones are very good, however an average 3 star rated hotel could be either quite good or quite to really bad.

Immunisations:

Tetanus: Course of 3 injections followed by a booster every 10 years.
    Hepatitis A & B: Every 3 years
    Typhoid: Recommended per trip as caught through the consumption of contaminated food or water as is Hep A.
    It is a good idea at this point to make sure you have diphtheria and polio too.

For infected areas, please check with your doctor or travel clinic for Anti-malarial tablets and precautions against insect bites. (Jungle Areas)

If you want to take any sort of medicines with you, either prescribed or bought from a pharmacist, find out if there are any restrictions on taking it in and out of the UK or the Philippines and make sure you have enough. Also keep them well labelled.

Home office Drugs Branch: 020 7217 8457/8446.

There are many 24 hour pharmacies in the PI that can offer drugs for almost anything, even ones that would need a prescription in the UK, however it can be very expensive.

If you have any doubts about your teeth, see your dentist before you go as treatment in the PI can be very expensive.

Carry a first aid kit with adhesive dressings, some insect repellent, antiseptic cream and water sterilisation tablets.

Emergency Medical Travel Kits are also a good idea with syringes, needles and suture materials etc. (Boots sell these)

I recommend paracetamol for any pain relief and diralyte/salt tablets for rehydration as it gets very hot and humid and anti-diarrhoea tablets, because you will get it.

Passports:

You will need a passport with at least 6 months available from your return date, to allow for any delays or accidents/illness.

You will need to apply for a visa at least one month before your trip in order to enter the PI. Either upto 21 days or upto 90 days. A form can be collected from your local Post Office wth any details of fees. Your passport must be sent with your visa application in order for it to be stamped, ensure you send via special delivery, enclosing a prepaid return special delivery pouch with your address clearly marked.

Take two photocopies of each passport. One to leave at home with relatives and one to carry on your person, when out and about. Keep your passport in a safe when you reach your destination along with family contacts details.

Travel/Health Insurance

Do not leave home without it. The cheapest is not always the most appropriate cover. So check and compare several different policies before purchasing.

Be sure the health section of the policy provides for:
    An air ambulance in case you need to be flown home , all medical bills, any potentially hazardous sports activities, bringing the body home in the event of a death, bringing the family home, in the event of your illness or injury.

Personal possessions cover should basically be suitable for your personal needs.

I recommend purchasing as soon as you have bought your airline tickets as then you will be covered if you need to cancel your trip before you go for reasons within the terms and conditions of the insurance policy.

Take all documentation with you as it will contain important phone numbers and advice. Keep your policy in the safe when you reach your destination and a copy of the policy number and phone number seperately

If your money, passport or anything else is stolen whilst abroad, report it at once to the local police and obtain a statement about the loss, you will need one to claim against your insurance.

Money/Travellers Cheques and Credit Cards

The currency required is Philippine Piso.

Only carry enough money on you for each day/trip. Buy some in the UK to take with you so you do not have to spend the first couple of days looking for banks etc.

Travellers cheques are recommended for security. US Dollars is far easier in the PI than pound sterling, as they do not usually know the exchange rate for sterling or often are not sure if they can accept it. Take the purchase receipt with you, but keep seperately. Keep a seperate written list of all the cheque numbers. Keep all cheques in the hotel safe.

Credit/debit cards are easily lost, so only take one out at a time and only when required and keep a list of any card numbers with the bank contact details seperately incase you should need to cancel it. A sentinel policy can be very helpful with lost or stolen cards.

Although travellers cheques are always recommended, in my personal experience of the PI, it can be very difficult to get money changed up. Sometimes they just say no for some obscure reason, other times they have a limit of $50 or $100, which means you will have to go back in another couple of days to get more. Often it will take upto 2 hours to change a small amount ( I have even taken 4 hours in the past). They ask for the purchase receipt in order to change them, but we are told in the UK never to carry the purchase receipt with us, it is only in the event that they are lost or stolen that the purchase receipt is required, so this can add limitations.

I would still recommend you have some but in addition to a credit card.

Although you will get charged for cash withdrawals, it is instant and you will not have to travel to the shopping centers or nearest bank and wait for hours, when you have better things to do.

Mastercard is used more widely than visa. It is often hard to find a shop or cash dispenser that takes Visa, but you can find them.

I highly recommend a body belt for carrying your cash and valuables in, when they are not in the safe. Only keep a little small change in your pockets incase you are mugged and you can offer this.

Do not expect to be able to exchange sterling cash for Piso's as they do not know what our notes look like, so will not be prepared to do it.

British Embassy

keep a note of any British Embassy phone numbers and addresses, incase you need their help or advice for both the UK and the PI.

Other Essentials

Stickbag/Sticks/Training Daggers (as blunt and as unrealistic as possible from UK, but on the way back there is not usually too much trouble)

Camera/batteries/charger/film/tapes (Photo or Video) Tripod if required

Mobile Phone/charger (Buy a PI sim card when you get there for calling locally, much cheaper and use your sim card for phoning home)
    Don't forget phone insurance if taking a phone.

Travel Plug with 2 flat pins for PI.

Sunglasses/suncream/aftersun/mozzi guard.

Shorts or skirts/t-shirts/tops/shirts or Blouses

Light trousers for the evenings, as the mozzi's attack with intent.

Underwear if you wear any.

Uniform if you think you may need it.

Shoes/trainers/sandles for going in the sea due to the rough reefs.

A jumper for the trip home....it is often freezing on the plane back.

Wash bag hopefully at least containing a toothbrush and paste (you may want this in your hand luggage on the way out as it is a long flight)
    Any other items you usually require in your wash kit.

Towels are usually supplied in the hotel, although you may want your own beach towel.

Most wash stuff is far cheaper in the PI that you may prefer to purchase everything once you get there, to save carrying it. The hotel usually offers small packets of soap, shampoo and conditioner to at least get you through until you find time to go shopping.

The shops have pretty much what we have here now and probably more choice, so unless you must use a certain brand that they may not have, I would recommend waiting until you get to the PI.

Obviously do not forget your teddy if you have one that you cannot sleep without.

You do not need to over pack either as they have very cheap laundrettes which cost approximately 40 pence per kilo for a straight forward wash and fold same day service. The hotels however charge 50 to 100 pence per item, even for knickers so avoid this after the first couple of days. You may want to take a washing line for washing your smalls or odd bits, but is not always quicker as the air conditioning can hinder drying.

Remember you are allowed usually 20 kilo's of luggage per person in the hold and 10 kilo's per person in hand luggage. (30 kilo's if travelling by business class) And you may want to bring back more than you took out with you.

I often take out enough clothes to last the first 7 to 10 days (when staying 6 weeks) With only one or two newish things ....then buy some new clothes out there and give my old clothes to charity.

Don't forget any other home comforts that you cannot live without.

JUST DON'T FORGET YOUR TICKETS, PASSPORTS & MONEY

If you are intending to train when you get there. It is always best to have prior arrangements and/or permission before you go with a club or instructor. If not, you could spend the first week or more trying to locate clubs and another week waiting for an invite to join in the class, because they are unsure of who you are. It will also help if going for the first time to have a recommendation from someone who has been before.

Once people know who you are and why you are there, you will probably have lots of invites, so do not worry.

If I have missed anything I will add it in later, but if you have any other items to add to this by all means do and any advice you might have would be great for others to read.

Lots of love :love:

Lucy

Last edited: Jul 3, 2006
  2. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

Couple more tips

Here are a couple more tips.

Wallets.
    Have two. One stashed away (I have a pouch that goes under my arm!)
    And one obvious one. I use this when I get pulled over on the motorbike by the police on some jumped up charge.

Kind of, "Sorry officer, can I pay an on the spot fine. This is all I have". Then produce wallet with 5ish quids worth of local currency. Usualy works.

Also as Lucy said, if you are mugged you can just hand over the fake wallet.

Mosquitos.
    Bane of my life in SEA. I'm one of those that always get bitten & have even contracted malaria in the past.

Don't laugh, but I have really good citronella essential oil. I soak a piece of cotton wool in it. Keep this with my clothes in one of those drawstring bags.

You stink of lemons but it keeps the mozzies away. :D

Gripseal bags!
    Take 'em to keep all those documents, your passport, driving licence etc. nice and dry. :rolleyes:

Oh, never get angry and always kow tow to officials ;)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2006
  3. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

on malaria:probably the only place that still has it is Palawan. If you're heading that way, it's best that you inquire about anti-malarial medication.

Stick to the bottled water.

And try the local food. It's delicious

:)

4. Gajah Silat

I forgot!

Anti fungal powder & cream.

Sweaty bits in the tropical heat can produce fungal infections :p

5. Lucy O'Malley

I cannot believe I forgot the all important smile and be happy.

Do not get stressed about anything as it will get you no-where.

Laugh and your sides will be hurting constantly.

Ask for Bacon and eggs and you will get a whole chicken or a whole Lapu Lapu fish before they bring out your cold bacon and eggs.

If in doubt smile.

And on a more personal level....I suffer at home with hayfever like symptoms all year round. This can be brought on by grass, dust, bonfires, sun, flowers and any number of things. I get a really itchy throat and nose.

In the PI I suffer just as much probably because of the diesal fumes and often need to use a steroid nasal spray. So if you are susceptable to anything like this take some medication with you and asthma inhalers.

Last year when I went out I suffered big time with mozzy bites and had some kind of allergic reaction to them. They were the size of eggs and blistered big time. At one time I had about 50 bites. I think it is my rare blood that they were after. :D

I had to take anti hystermines and use a sterile needle to relieve the pressure, but I also found some green liquid stuff in the pharmacy....similar to menthol tiger balm but in liquid form....it had tea tree oil and stuff like that in it. It was great...you can use it for aches, pains, sunburn, bites a 1000 uses.

Just I cannot remeber the name of it and whatever you do....do not rub it all over your body, even if covered in bites all over....i nearly had a heart attack or something similar.

Lucy

6. drgnstyx

drgnstyx New Member

Hi Lucy! Was it efficacent oil? My Mom used to rub it on us as a cure-all for anything from aches, pains and itchiness as well... :D

7. Lucy O'Malley

That sounds familiar....I can smell it now. :D

I just called it 'the great green stuff'. :D

I was going to bring loads back but daren't because it was in glass bottles and I have seen the damage the green stuff done to our hotel room. There wasn't a white towel left in sight.

Someone should think about importing it over to the UK they could charge a fortune for the miracle cure in a bottle. It has probably got something illegal in it for our country though. All the good stuff that really cures you seems to be made illegal here in the UK. Here it would only be allowed to be green food dye and salt water, with a few herbs thrown in for good measure.

I will have to try drinking it next time :rolleyes: :cool: .

Lucy

8. weebear

weebear Valued Member

When travelling to the Philippines you dont really need to take that much with you, everything you will ever need is available and at a much cheaper cost than you will get in the UK or Europe. Go with the as little as possible that way you can bring more back is good advice I think. As for muggings and corrupt police, I lived there for 18 months and never had a problem so its not as much of a worry as many people think, however its true to say that if you look like a victim then I am sure you will be treated as such. If your going then dont worry about what might happen and just take each day as it comes. :)

9. Lucy O'Malley

I have known a couple of english guys that have been mugged so I am only advising by experience.

One of them believe it or not actually went back to the hotel and cleared out his safe and gave them everything he had of any value at their instruction. :confused:

Just don't flaunt it really and don't go back to the taxi drivers house and don't get involved in any card games as one British team member did in 1998.

Don't do anything that you would not do at home. You are a guest in a lovely country.

Lucy

10. dogeater

dogeater New Member

Hey Weebear,

We where the ones robbing here in pinas remember:) No Wallets thou. Only poor girls hearts:) They can't blame us. They are so damn pretty:)

11. Gajah Silat

In Indonesia they use a green oil for just about everything too.
    It's generaly called 'cap lang' but that's the actual brand name.
    Its actualy cajuput oil-minyak kayu putih in Indonesian (which is where the name cajuput comes from!). Don't know if it's something similar in Tagalog :confused:
    Certainly has a very distinct smell & is green!
    We always bring a few bottles home & haven't had a problem at customs(yet!).

I also get some minyak urut, which is the best liniment ever!

Anyway best get back to the Silat forum & stop interupting you FMA guys :)

12. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Two things you want to have...

1) A cool head... and a good book to read.
    when you hit Manilla traffic you're going to need it. :D

2) The common sense to not walk on the street talking on your mobile phone... it will get snatched right off of your ear! :p Not being alarmist but I have seen some crazy things that people do in Manilla that scream 'rob me'... and I have been talking on the phone with family when their phone was grabbed! :D - and they are Filipino locals! :eek:

Pretty much any of the conveniences of home you can find in Manilla... Don't forget to try a Turbo chicken and be sure to have some JollyBee burgers. :p

13. weebear

weebear Valued Member

Hey dogeater nice to see you on this forum to bro, very apt name for you is it not bro. Ingat ka palagi bro.

14. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

Can we have this in english as well please weebear :) :)

15. drgnstyx

drgnstyx New Member

Yup. It won't get any greener than that... :)

When my daughter was 4 years old I used to live her with my in-laws who lived with my ex while I went to work. When I picked Alexis up one day, my mother-in-law seemed ill-at-ease, which I just brushed aside since she was normally pleasant. Anyway, While we were on our way home, I caught a whiff of that familiar menthol scent. So I asked Ales what she did at her mom's place. She just replied "ART Daddy" with all the cuteness a 4yr old can only have. Around this time I get a call from my furious ex to turn back and see what her Mom was telling her about. When I got there there she was on the white carpet scrubbing at several spots while her boyfriend was busy getting the curtains down. Yup, you guessed it, Alex went and had basically "sprinkled" the oil on the curtains, carpets and couch-which were all in white. :confused: :(
    I had Alex aplogize to her Mom, I aplogized to my in-laws, then later on treated Alex to some ice cream. :D :love:

16. Joestaffie

Joestaffie New Member

Some great advice there,which I will follow as im of to Maila this friday,Could anyone tell me if you are allowed to take live blades into the Philippines or is it just not worth the hassle at the airports?

All the best
    Dean

17. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Well that all depends on the airport and the country you are leaving from. We have had trouble with blunt training knives that look real on the scan, they had to get it out of the luggage to check it and have had the intent of confescating it regardless, even though it had a very large dull edge on it. It was only after we kicked up a stink and told them they were holding everyone up, coupled with the fact that they were blatently in a training bag, with training sticks and it was going in the hold where we could not even get to them that they finally let us have them back.

Anyway, why would you want to take a live blade to the Philippines when you can purchase a far better one and a fraction of the cost once you are out there?

You don't usually have trouble getting them back from the Philippines although we did once the day after someone decided to go crazy on a Philippine Airline internal flight with a Machete. However the guys at Customs did actually post them to us, but just would not let us take them in our luggage. This was at Cebu Airport though and they were worried about their internal flights.

Now when we arrived at Manila Airport I had a very large and very sharp sword that I asked the guy at the checkin to place in the hold, but to my surprise he insisted I took it on to the plane as hand luggage, It took me over 10 minutes to actually convince him to put it in the hold. You got to love the Philippines:D

Best regards

Pat

18. Lucy O'Malley

Well I was going to say the bedsheets, carpets and cutains, but was worried that the hotel staff might be logging in and might refuse my stay next time round. I told them it was the baby that done it :D every day :D They had to believe me as she has trouble written all over her :D .

I love your story as it sounds exactly like my daughter, but she is only 17 months....17 months of trouble so far :D .

I always pat my kids on the back for creative works of art too ;) . As long as it isn't at home. Unfortuantely they like to practice at home :) .

And anyway it is only ever the adult supervision at fault, so maybe they should apologise to you for not supervising her properly :D :D after all she was only 4 ;) .

Lucy

19. Lucy O'Malley

I have noticed from a couple of threads that there is a few people going out soon.

June, July, August can get very hot, hot, hot for those of us from cold countries. So don't wait until you are dehydrated, make sure you drink bottled water (mineral not spring as springwater legally can be tap water) on a regular basis throughout the day from the start of your trip. It will save ruining your holiday.

Especially if you like a beer in the evenings....pop a packet of Dyralyte in your water at least once aday to replace all those salts and minerals, even though the taste can be gut wrenching...hold your nose :D :D .

Lucy

20. shootodog

shootodog restless native

El Hig: ingat ka palagi is a formal form of the colloquial ingat ka. it means "take care always".

Joestaffie: yes, they are a hassle to bring in and out of the country. besides, a good balisong is just a few hundred pesos (maybe as high as P500) which translates to maybe less than 10 pounds/ 10 US$. when you leave you can have it parcelled to you abroad.

slip: and balut and sisig and crispy pata and a whole host of other stuff! ;)

Gajah Silat: it's called boxer's linament in thailand and ditdatjow in other parts of asia. over here we have many variants. most smell really bad.